Need some camping advice please

36 replies
Found 6th Jul 2008
Seriously guys I know nothing about camping. I always subscribed to the school of thought that if it didn't have radiators, a shower and a flushable toilet I wasn't interested.
However it seams I am getting talked into going camping.

We need everything, tent, sleeping bags lots and lots of alchohol to see me through.... (you get the idea)

So please any recomendations as to what I need or should get would be great

Thanks

35 Comments

PM TrainDriver for booze hints....I ain't in a sharin' mood...

Original Poster

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO;2470806

PM TrainDriver for booze hints....I ain't in a sharin' mood...

unless they consost of wangiling drink from the site bar I think I have that section covered thanks :thumbsup:

The one thing everyone forgets - a rubber mallet.

To clobber your tent pegs into the ground with. The campsites charge a fortune for them because they know its a necessity you will probably forget.

And an umbrella.

Goto your local Tesco....loads of bargains to be had!

The main thing you need for camping will be a tent!

Sleeping bags come in useful too!

I never really been camping so hard to say what you will need!

A map of the area, or Tom Tom, with all the pubs with food.

Done it a few times but always seems to rain- here's my wish list if it were me:

1-tent
2-sleeping bags,
3-gas stove & disposable bbq - & matches
4-water containers
5-booze
6-torch
7-food
8-my own bed after 2 days
9-suncream cos you never know.

Torch and Airbed (and pump obviously).

Oh, and a barbecue :lol:

ok, i havent done any real camping for a long time, but things i would suggest you take

Amongst the obvious things ( Tent, Sleeping bags, Food & Drink)

Torch
BOG ROLL!!!!!!
Something soft to go under the sleeping bags might be nice if you have room (Duvet perhaps)

If your buying a new tent to use i think they type that has an internal breathable tent then the waterproof larger tent over the top are probably the best. When it says 2 man, that means you can get 2 men in there...not a great deal more. If i was going to buy a tent for 2, i would buy at least a 3 man tent if i could.

I'll edit this if i remember things but for now i'll leave it at this

BFM

BurningFeetMan;2470874

When it says 2 man, that means you can get 2 men in there...not a great … When it says 2 man, that means you can get 2 men in there...not a great deal more. If i was going to buy a tent for 2, i would buy at least a 3 man tent if i could.

I tend to go by tent size double the amount of people. That way you don't touch the walls and get soaked from condensation:whistling:

Go camping loads and have a quality sleeping bag but always bring a duvet and pillows. Go to Poundland, lidl for basics like mats, torches, stoves etc but after several cans of cider you'll be loving it even when its peeing down lol

BurningFeetMan;2470874

When it says 2 man, that means you can get 2 men in there.BFM

That's not compulsory though Jennybubbles. :w00t:

This is pretty much what I used to take when camping at car shows.....

Tent + Mallet + Uprated Pegs (solids, the metal ones you get with tents are carp)
Sleeping Bags (possibly pillows/blankets too)
Airbed + Pump
Torch
Food
Kettle (tea, coffee, colapsible water carrier etc)
Gas camp stove + frying pan
Barbecue
Bowie knife (maybe that's just me....)
Chiller box full of tinnies

Inverter
Laptop
Camera
Jump start to start the car cos that lot has killed the battery over the weekend :lol:

Ah and some tarpaulin for the bit outside the door. Nowt worse than creeping out of a tent onto damp/wet grass.....

Jumpingphil;2470969

LOL ok then, 2 women or im sure i would be happy to squeeze one man and 2 women in :whistling:

Original Poster

Jumpingphil;2470969

Drat :x

No thanks guys. Honest I have no clue. Does the make of tent matter? Is there anything in particular I should avoid (appart from the two men!!!) THanks for the tip about the two layers in the tent and the malett thing.

Gods what have I let meyself in for????

Just got back from touring france and spain on me bike, camped most nights, great fun, i think most above is covered, depends where you are going, make sure you sleeping bags are upto the british climate, aslong as your warm and dry and you have a gas stove and food, depends if your going to rough it or eat out.

Original Poster

Shengis;2470983

This is pretty much what I used to take when camping at car … This is pretty much what I used to take when camping at car shows.....Tent + Mallet + Uprated Pegs (solids, the metal ones you get with tents are carp)Sleeping Bags (possibly pillows/blankets too)Airbed + PumpTorchFoodKettle (tea, coffee, colapsible water carrier etc)Gas camp stove + frying panBarbecueBowie knife (maybe that's just me....)Chiller box full of tinniesInverterLaptopCameraJump start to start the car cos that lot has killed the battery over the weekend :lol:

Wow thanks Shengis thats what I need :thumbsup:

jennybubbles;2470995

Drat :xNo thanks guys. Honest I have no clue. Does the make of tent … Drat :xNo thanks guys. Honest I have no clue. Does the make of tent matter? Is there anything in particular I should avoid (appart from the two men!!!) THanks for the tip about the two layers in the tent and the malett thing.Gods what have I let meyself in for????

omg its doomed to fail..... lol

no need to go overboard with a tent, tesco extra do some decent tents for around £30 if there are two of you going get a 3 man tent, not much bigger packed but alot bigger for all your stuff that you will take.

don't forget the toys....
extreme frisbee woo hoo

choc1969;2471032

don't forget the toys....extreme frisbee woo hoo

And a spare set of batteries. :whistling:

Don't bother with an airbed, unless you want a good nights sleep.
If your with a partner it's much nicer on the hard floor!!!!........:thumbsup:

Im off on my 1st effort on Friday with my 2 kids:thumbsup:
I find that you can get equal quality stuff from Poundland/Wilkinson/Home bargains.

I have got a lot of top quality stuff for a fraction of the price.
I got my tent from ASDA. 50£ down to 15£ as bag was broken:w00t:

Fingers crossed and if you dont hear from me come monday please inform the
coastguard at Cartmel....

Jen - I am sure you will love it. Inventory as above probably - although I doubt you will be going into the wilds aka Ray Mears!

Coolbox for milk, bacon eggs ets and general cold stuff. If you are going for the weekend, in addition to the usual cool packs, I find it useful to freeze milk, bottles of water, juice etc then it helps to keep stuff really cold if you dont have the electric ones. Slowly defrosts over the weekend.

The gas cookers are around a tenner at the mo and are fine for hot water for cuppas etc. Gas canisters around £1.50 each but should last a weekend with moderate use.

Argos are doing some pretty good reduced family tents for around £100 - thats all we paid for a large 6 person. You can get cheaper but it really depends how often you want to use it - is is going to be a regular occurrence? If you wanted to, you could get everyting (tents bags ets ) for around £50 - but you get what you pay for! May be worth investing. There is a large camping shop (GO) in Airdrie - may be worth a look but Millets or similar can supply the basics. Have also seen some good reduced deals in woolies and Tesco on the camping stuff. Plastic plates cups etc also good. You will also need small basin /wash up liquid on some site for washing up.

Blow up beds or similar are pretty essential as it keeps you off the floor and warmer. Also those fold away camping chairs are pretty good for sitting out for a few beers. Disposable BBQ's are allowed on many sites but remeber you dont need to do it all - sometimes just easier to do a bar supper for tea - depends what you want.

Do not be fooled by the really cheap sleeping bags for the summer - we went recently (21 June)and were freezing in Blair Atholl - take some extra cosy fleeces or throws - better to be warm.

Most of the modern camp sites are well equipped and the toilet blocks are fine. Take a loo roll though as some are like greaseproof paper and smear rather than wipe! Most are heated. If it is your first time go for a 3* or better site - dont want you to get put off! I can recommend the Blair Atholl Castle site - superb and the kids facilities are great. Around £14/night. Scenery is stunning.

Remember mosquito repellant!! Waterproofs etc - esp if you go near the west coast.

Anything else you want to know pm me! :thumbsup: x

Banned

A towel....the most useful thing ever!

Rain mac/poncho are really good too...I NEVER go without one
Disposable plates/cutlery/cups too and some sort of container/waterproof bag for keeping stuff dry
I also take carrier bags, REALLY useful for multiple things

If you dont have a tent yet.... try ]this :thumbsup:
They've also got some pretty cheap airbeds,pumps and the like.

Happy camping

Sloth/Mod

I've been known to be camp. :w00t:

baby wipes are very useful when camping!

My local poundland has a camping section with loads of stuff like mallets and all sorts of little bits and bobs you might need. No tents tho for a quid soz

Banned

http://www.motorhomemart.com/images/luxury_rv1.jpg

Go in one of these and tell them they are on their own in the tent when you get there:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Prissymiss;2472645

Go in one of these and tell them they are on their own in the tent when … Go in one of these and tell them they are on their own in the tent when you get there:thumbsup:

lol actually we are taking a camper van too but there will be 5 adults and 4 kids so the kids are getting the van and Mr.B and I are getting a tent. Want a decent one though cos if we enjoy it Its something I'd do alot with AM

Banned

Hi Jenny try this link..going there myself tomorrow:thumbsup:

hotukdeals.com/ite…-ad

http://www.hotpichost.com/uploads/187d32edf2.jpg

^^^

That's not a tent, this is a tent.....

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/36-3400827iaA69UC447935X.jpg

:lol:

(£250, half price, Argos)

Oh and big enough to get a few cars in if you want to sacrifice some of the 10 bedrooms :w00t:

Banned

:thumbsup:

Shengis;2488159

^^^That's not a tent, this is a tent.....:lol:(£250, half price, Argos)Oh … ^^^That's not a tent, this is a tent.....:lol:(£250, half price, Argos)Oh and big enough to get a few cars in if you want to sacrifice some of the 10 bedrooms :w00t:

so its ok for a small family then:thumbsup:lol

Original Poster

hubby looking at ]this one But I'm not so sure after reading the reveiws

jennybubbles;2495885

hubby looking at ]this one But I'm not so sure after reading the reveiws

I wouldn't. I had a tent like that and they're awful due to the layout. Basically the rooms are triangular so there's no room to move in them (unless you're really short). I would rate that as a 2 person tent because of that. We binned ours and bought a dome with a tunnel, a bit like this one but with windows....

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/36-3400700A69UC453149M.jpg

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

All depends how many rooms you need I suppose.

The best camping advice I can give from experience is do not get within sniffing distance of a donkey while eating cheesey Wotsits!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition52475
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!22
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11

See more discussions