Expired

Need Some Help Dealing With An Ebay Fraudster.

Found 31st May
Hello all.

I run an eBay store as my main source of income. I only sell a few products and there is only one other seller in the UK selling the same products as me.

I got my first negative feedback a few days ago, and found the person on Facebook. The person who left the negative feedback is the girlfriend of the person who runs the store selling the same products as me.

I emailed them first apologetically, but once I found out they were committing fraud I texted them asking to change the feedback (the seller has a buisness account with his details visible). I also tried to call and text.

They have changed the feedback since I reported it to eBay but have since texted me abuse calling me a creep and a **** and generally abusing me.

I was happy the leave it since they changed the feedback but now feel like I should take action. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for the replies
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Block - move on
They were committing fraud? How? Have you contacted the police? Sorry op but this is a shopping app not judge judy
artnada59 m ago

Block - move on

Agree. Just block the numbers. Ain’t worth the effort. Let them waste there time
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 29 m ago

They were committing fraud? How? Have you contacted the police? Sorry op …They were committing fraud? How? Have you contacted the police? Sorry op but this is a shopping app not judge judy

Not entirely sure this is genuine anyway , OP joins to ask this question here. Then contradicts himself in the same sentence by saying he both texted and " tried to text" . Not sure where he would have got their personal mobile numbers from anyway . All of this only partially works if the other two didn't have privacy settings on their Facebook pages.

Also I doubt there are many products with just two UK sellers , maybe too many years in finance have just made me super suspicious though !
tinkerbellian4 m ago

Not entirely sure this is genuine anyway , OP joins to ask this question …Not entirely sure this is genuine anyway , OP joins to ask this question here. Then contradicts himself in the same sentence by saying he both texted and " tried to text" . Not sure where he would have got their personal mobile numbers from anyway . All of this only partially works if the other two didn't have privacy settings on their Facebook pages.Also I doubt there are many products with just two UK sellers , maybe too many years in finance have just made me super suspicious though !

Actually on the eBay app you can see in the order details the phone number of the buyer.
Not sure it displays it for any buyer but I've noticed there was one with lots of my buyers (never had to use it).
hearts224 m ago

Actually on the eBay app you can see in the order details the phone number …Actually on the eBay app you can see in the order details the phone number of the buyer. Not sure it displays it for any buyer but I've noticed there was one with lots of my buyers (never had to use it).

Wow , I didn't know they did that , I'm really careful about where my mobile number goes , so to think eBay just give it out without me knowing is actually a bit of a shock .
tinkerbellian4 m ago

Wow , I didn't know they did that , I'm really careful about where my …Wow , I didn't know they did that , I'm really careful about where my mobile number goes , so to think eBay just give it out without me knowing is actually a bit of a shock .

I've seen that only on the app.
tinkerbellian24 m ago

Not entirely sure this is genuine anyway , OP joins to ask this question …Not entirely sure this is genuine anyway , OP joins to ask this question here. Then contradicts himself in the same sentence by saying he both texted and " tried to text" . Not sure where he would have got their personal mobile numbers from anyway . All of this only partially works if the other two didn't have privacy settings on their Facebook pages.Also I doubt there are many products with just two UK sellers , maybe too many years in finance have just made me super suspicious though !

Did you not read the op. The other seller is a business so will have his details visible unlike a private seller. That's how the op got his phone number.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 5 m ago

They were committing fraud? How? Have you contacted the police? Sorry op …They were committing fraud? How? Have you contacted the police? Sorry op but this is a shopping app not judge judy

Says the person who often uses "misc and ask" for things other than shopping
caverncity45 m ago

Did you not read the op. The other seller is a business so will have his …Did you not read the op. The other seller is a business so will have his details visible unlike a private seller. That's how the op got his phone number.

Did read, thanks for asking, however I would still be surprised if the other seller gave the personal details of his girlfriend on his website. So as the OP said he tracked her down via Facebook, I still stand by the fact it's unusual for people not to have privacy settings on there.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 31st May
tinkerbellian9 m ago

Did read, thanks for asking, however I would still be surprised if the …Did read, thanks for asking, however I would still be surprised if the other seller gave the personal details of his girlfriend on his website. So as the OP said he tracked her down via Facebook, I still stand by the fact it's unusual for people not to have privacy settings on there.

The op got the mobile number off the boyfriends eBay seller page because he is a business so had to show contact info. I'm assuming the op had an inkling something wasn't right and went detective on Facebook and found the buyer and noticed her boyfriend was on her friends list and put two and two together, changing the feedback shows the op was correct in thinking they are working together to discredit him/her.
Edited by: "caverncity" 31st May
OP contact ebay chat explain your issues and mention the abusive texts etc. As they, the texts are outside of ebay they will probably just put it on file or pretend to issue the buyer with a warning unless they have done it before, its down to ebay at the end of the day. Also click on report buyer and put the details on that too. Also read this here legislation.gov.uk/ukp…nts
if you think its enough to go to the police then you have every right to do so especially if its causing you stress.
Failing that block the number and move one!
caverncity14 m ago

The op got the mobile number off the boyfriends eBay seller page because …The op got the mobile number off the boyfriends eBay seller page because he is a business so had to show contact info. I'm assuming the op had an inkling something wasn't right and went detective on Facebook and found the buyer and noticed her boyfriend was on her friends list and put two and two together, changing the feedback shows the op was correct in thinking they are working together to discredit him/her.

Then if you believe this is a true story, the logical thing for the OP to do would have been to report his findings to eBay , including screenshots to prove all the connections and abusive texts . However he doesn't seem to have even considered doing that. Hence I'm still calling it not quite true .
deleted1951336
Hello,

Yes I got the details from the rival sellers business account details and the girlfriend had the same Facebook username as her eBay one and a profile picture with the rival seller. They have since changed the privacy settings. I also found her linkedin and when I said I would call her work they changed the feedback right away.

This is all I asked them to do. But they then continued to text me abusive messages which really made me think I shouldn't leave it at that.
deleted1951336
Sorry about whether it is fraud. Damaging someone's business reputation by lying about sit and by making false statements for the benefit of their own business or an associates is fraud by misrepresentation.
Edited by: "deleted1951336" 31st May
deleted195133631st May

Sorry about whether it is fraud. Damaging someone's business reputation …Sorry about whether it is fraud. Damaging someone's business reputation by lying about sit and by making false statements for the benefit of their own business or an associates is fraud by misrepresentation.

That's the job for a solicitor, the abusive texts is a job for the police, what road you go down is up to you. The police is the lesser cost of course unless you find a solicitor who doesnt charge for the first say 20 minutes. The feedback was changed and at the end of the day thats the buyers opinion which I doubt now will damage any future sales as its been changed, just look at the likes of Argos on Ebay, check their neg and neutral feedback, it hasnt stopped their sales. However the texts are a different thing altogether, they are committing an offence under the malicious communications act. and what you do about it is up to you.
Edited by: "caverncity" 31st May
caverncity1 h, 11 m ago

Says the person who often uses "misc and ask" for things other than …Says the person who often uses "misc and ask" for things other than shopping

I talk on misc and ask questions on ask. Is that not what it is for? Fraud is a serious business and if I needed advice about it I wouldn't join a shopping forum, I'd talk to someone with a legal background.
deleted1951336
Thanks for the replies. I'll ask on a more appropriate forum.
HUKD u delete posts I add criticising the sun newspaper and Murdoch in general but u allow a post that involves contacting a strangers girlfriend about negative eBay feedback, 'very creepy but hey ho anything goes.
Bandicoot10 m ago

HUKD u delete posts I add criticising the sun newspaper and Murdoch in …HUKD u delete posts I add criticising the sun newspaper and Murdoch in general but u allow a post that involves contacting a strangers girlfriend about negative eBay feedback, 'very creepy but hey ho anything goes.

The girlfriend was the buyer so he had every right to contact her to ask to remove the feedback
caverncity3 m ago

The girlfriend was the buyer so he had every right to contact her to ask …The girlfriend was the buyer so he had every right to contact her to ask to remove the feedback

Via text. No disagree 100% on that
deleted1951336
Bandicoot44 m ago

So if someone tried to damage you business you would consider it creepy to contact them? Why because it is a girl? What if they made false statements about you and threatened your livelihood that you had works years on. Weird moral compass you have.

I didn't even message the girl anyway it was the rival seller.
Bandicoot51 m ago

ebay always encourages members to communicate with each other when there's a problem with a transaction. This can be done via resolution center however ebay prefer the buyer to contact the seller first before leaving feedback etc. Also this can include swapping contact details, as in phone number if you dont already have them, most of the time the phone number is on the invoice after the buyer has paid, if not then request contact details, both parties will receive contact details. The OP has said he tried to email, phone and text, the text must have worked as the feedback was changed.
Maybe the OP preferred to text other than ring, maybe he didnt feel confidant enough to speak to them or wanted proof of the conversation or felt it was the only way to get his point across after being ignored prior to texting.
After selling on the internet for about 20 years, and most applications for anything is done on the net its got to a point I dont like speaking to people on the phone anymore (especially if it involves any form of conflict), I prefer texts or emails plus you can check and edit before you send them, that can be a god send sometimes.
deleted195133631st May

So if someone tried to damage you business you would consider it creepy to …So if someone tried to damage you business you would consider it creepy to contact them? Why because it is a girl? What if they made false statements about you and threatened your livelihood that you had works years on. Weird moral compass you have. I didn't even message the girl anyway it was the rival seller.

My moral compass is fine thank you. Why post this on a deal site?
caverncity15 m ago

ebay always encourages members to communicate with each other when there's …ebay always encourages members to communicate with each other when there's a problem with a transaction. This can be done via resolution center however ebay prefer the buyer to contact the seller first before leaving feedback etc. Also this can include swapping contact details, as in phone number if you dont already have them, most of the time the phone number is on the invoice after the buyer has paid, if not then request contact details, both parties will receive contact details. The OP has said he tried to email, phone and text, the text must have worked as the feedback was changed. Maybe the OP preferred to text other than ring, maybe he didnt feel confidant enough to speak to them or wanted proof of the conversation or felt it was the only way to get his point across after being ignored prior to texting. After selling on the internet for about 20 years, and most applications for anything is done on the net its got to a point I dont like speaking to people on the phone anymore (especially if it involves any form of conflict), I prefer texts or emails plus you can check and edit before you send them, that can be a god send sometimes.

Your opinion and i respect that but I have mines too
deleted1951336
Bandicoot29 m ago

My moral compass is fine thank you. Why post this on a deal site?

Because I appreciate the opinions of moral leadership of fine gentlemen like yourself.
What were you selling? I'm placing bets on car parts.
Bandicoot48 m ago

Your opinion and i respect that but I have mines too

hopefully no grenades!
deleted195133631st May

Because I appreciate the opinions of moral leadership of fine gentlemen …Because I appreciate the opinions of moral leadership of fine gentlemen like yourself.

Good response

Think you will find slander and defamation rather than fraud by misrepresentation as believe the latter is tied to enticement in contract formed which is the inverse of what you say this seller has attempted.

However, you have got the feedback removed and as a bonus clearly riled them - what more are you wanting to achieve? Agree with advice above - block and move on.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 31st May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants