Groups

Need some help getting items for womens refuge

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit late getting this organised, but I need some help getting some things together for a local women's refuge. I've been told a lot of people are no longer supporting this refuge, so really want to help out the best I can.

I need to know the cheapest place to find shoe box size boxes, but nice ones, or even larger, and some gifts and toys to go in it. The children are anywhere from 3 up to 12. I was thinking mugs, movies, perfume for the moms, or something similar. I'm already going to include some food, hot chocolate, and other little bits and will try to get to Home Bargains, and Poundland in the next couple of days to see what they have, but really want to get the best bang for the buck!

Ideally I want to make 12 of these boxes up, but I know I may not be able to get them all.

Can anybody help me by providing ideas or links to help me out? I've been told I have up till the 23rd to get it ready, but being a guy, and an over 40 one at that, my ideas may not be the best match for these Mom's and kids.

11 Comments

I think no matter what you get, its the thought that will be appreciated more than the stuff inside.
    well done you for doing something.
    I'm sure you will get some good advice.
    Edited by: "shadey12" 2nd Dec 2016

Well done for trying to help and make someone's christmas a much better day

I just saw the patisserie de baines bath gift sets for £1 in Superdrug..they've got a hand cream and shower cream.and bath puff all for £1...can't seem to find it online otherwise I'd post a link to it....
    Edited by: "afnoor" 2nd Dec 2016

Original Poster

afnoor

I just saw the patisserie de baines bath gift sets for £1 in … I just saw the patisserie de baines bath gift sets for £1 in Superdrug..they've got a hand cream and shower cream.and bath puff all for £1...can't seem to find it online otherwise I'd post a link to it....

Thanks, I'm headed near one Saturday morning so I'll check it out.

Ask in shoe shops as many people take the shoes and don't want the box, then cover in Xmas paper. Charity shops are good as they often have brand new unwanted things. I did two boxes for a local charity and found lots of lovely things. Towbar is good for little toys.
    Good luck with your hunt!

Ask in a shoe shop if you can have spare boxes? Run decorate with Christmas paper. Don't waste money on the boxes when you can spend more on the contents.

Poundland sell all the big brand shampoos and lotions and potions that women use. My wife helps the elderly but has helped women's aid in the past in a similar fashion to what you're doing.

Having been through terrible circumstances the women are pleased to receive things like make up, hand cream and hair stuff etc. You can buy colouring books and baby stuff in Poundland as well.

Well done for your charitable deeds.

Infinitesd

Thanks, I'm headed near one Saturday morning so I'll check it out.

Hope you get everything sorted. Let us know how you get on

my wife donated some clothes once to the local women's refuge and it was quite hard to get it there as the address is kept secret - so be sure you have a contact to drop off. The women often flee with very little so things like tights, toiletries, manicure kits, toothbrushes and paste (including childrens brushes), cosmetics would be better than mugs. Dvds to watch with the children maybe, small foam balls, crayons or felt tips, skipping ropes, punchball balloons, packs of playing cards. Shoe shops may give you boxes or if you want large wine boxes from supermarkets.

Original Poster

buzzard

my wife donated some clothes once to the local women's refuge and it was … my wife donated some clothes once to the local women's refuge and it was quite hard to get it there as the address is kept secret - so be sure you have a contact to drop off. The women often flee with very little so things like tights, toiletries, manicure kits, toothbrushes and paste (including childrens brushes), cosmetics would be better than mugs. Dvds to watch with the children maybe, small foam balls, crayons or felt tips, skipping ropes, punchball balloons, packs of playing cards. Shoe shops may give you boxes or if you want large wine boxes from supermarkets.

Thanks for the tips, and ya I won't be taking the stuff directly to them, There's a person who will collect it. I can understand the reason for it, so it's cool to me.

It seems so easy to go overboard with getting them things, not sure how I'm going to limit each one yet.

On Saturday I'm gonna definitely go to Home Bargains, and of course Superdrug and see what they have. It's very tricky as you say they don't tell you much about them, so I'm really going off of gut feel. Will look at essentials like toiletries, hats, gloves, but also want to try and get the kids something fun as well. I know home Bargains have some discounted toys, maybe The Works as well?

Costco sells plastic shoe box-sized boxes and some slightly larger ones in packs of 12? 15? Something like that. It works out to around £1 per box if I remember. Not as cheap as free shoe boxes, but it means the box itself is part of the gift, considering people in a shelter may not have many good places to store things.

Original Poster

summerof76

Hope you get everything sorted. Let us know how you get on

Thank you for your help. It turns out due to the amount of information we are allowed to have, my contact will distribute everything I got so I couldn't separate into boxes. I would say enough for 6 or so of the women/families so not a full 12 but a lot.

I ended up getting perfume, toiletries, bath gel, cookies/biscuits, toys, ornaments, clothes, canned food, and other fairly non perishables. Ended up with about 4 big bags of stuff.

Not sure if it will be everything they need or want, but hopefully will help out.

Thank you to everyone who helped make their Christmas just a bit better.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free Codes from EGX66
      2. One for the mathmeticians1829
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767422
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2645

See more discussions