need some help watching uk tv in spain please

Found 15th Jan
my friends are going to Spain for a couple months and wanting to still watch UK tv, mainly for news, question time etc.
I think BBC iplayer would do but as I understand it is blocked abroad.
they have a tablet and firestick. also subscriptions to amazon prime and sky go.
I have read about vpns and iptv but I'm a bit confused what to do.
any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments
Mobdro
A vpn would let them watch iplayer from abroad

do they have a subscription for sky already?
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 15th Jan
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo14 m ago

A vpn would let them watch iplayer from abroaddo they have a subscription …A vpn would let them watch iplayer from abroaddo they have a subscription for sky already?

yes they have a sky subscription, will that work abroad?
donnamaca31 m ago

yes they have a sky subscription, will that work abroad?

It used to if where they are going have a dish but not too sure anymore.

if they are keeping their subscription something like a slingbox could work, set it up at home on their sky box with an App to watch it externally. They control the app with what channel and they can view it from anywhere in the world without limitations of location and using a vpn for apps
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo55 m ago

It used to if where they are going have a dish but not too sure anymore.if …It used to if where they are going have a dish but not too sure anymore.if they are keeping their subscription something like a slingbox could work, set it up at home on their sky box with an App to watch it externally. They control the app with what channel and they can view it from anywhere in the world without limitations of location and using a vpn for apps

Thanks I'll look into it
if you find a solution please let me know as we are in the same boat, all be it, we are only there for 3 to 5 weeks, possibly twice a year at the moment.
mutley15 m ago

if you find a solution please let me know as we are in the same boat, all …if you find a solution please let me know as we are in the same boat, all be it, we are only there for 3 to 5 weeks, possibly twice a year at the moment.

Slingbox m1

take a look at that works with sky tutorials online I also think there’s an m2
Dannyrobbo3 m ago

Slingbox m1take a look at that works with sky tutorials online I also …Slingbox m1take a look at that works with sky tutorials online I also think there’s an m2

we have sky go on the laptop, tablet and phone. so do we connect this slingbox to the laptop and watch sky go on the laptop? it is not clear to me how the slingbox will work with these devices.
mutley11 m ago

we have sky go on the laptop, tablet and phone. so do we connect this …we have sky go on the laptop, tablet and phone. so do we connect this slingbox to the laptop and watch sky go on the laptop? it is not clear to me how the slingbox will work with these devices.

No you connect slingbox to the sky box and it streams whatever is showing on your sky tv to your tablet/phone or laptop
Dannyrobbo4 m ago

No you connect slingbox to the sky box and it streams whatever is showing …No you connect slingbox to the sky box and it streams whatever is showing on your sky tv to your tablet/phone or laptop

i see. this will only work if we live there as the villa that we rent won't always have a sky dish so no point in us bringing our sky box with us.
Try a vpn.
mutley11 h, 53 m ago

i see. this will only work if we live there as the villa that we rent …i see. this will only work if we live there as the villa that we rent won't always have a sky dish so no point in us bringing our sky box with us.

What are you talking about your sky box stays at home, slingbox connected to it. Slingbox send the signal over the internet to your device
Dannyrobbo17 m ago

What are you talking about your sky box stays at home, slingbox connected …What are you talking about your sky box stays at home, slingbox connected to it. Slingbox send the signal over the internet to your device

you mean i just connect the slingbox to my skybox at home? but how does it send the signal to my laptop/tablet/phone which are with me in spain? i am totally confused

at the moment, the sky go app on the laptop/tablet/phone do not talk to the skybox at all. they are all separate devices, not talking to each other.
Android box , pay for a IPTV sub . Job done .
yozzman123449 m ago

Android box , pay for a IPTV sub . Job done .

Any cheap IPTV you recommend?
mutley18 h, 22 m ago

you mean i just connect the slingbox to my skybox at home? but how does …you mean i just connect the slingbox to my skybox at home? but how does it send the signal to my laptop/tablet/phone which are with me in spain? i am totally confused at the moment, the sky go app on the laptop/tablet/phone do not talk to the skybox at all. they are all separate devices, not talking to each other.

He has clearly explained how it works twice. Read his comments again. Failing that, Google is up and running
Edited by: "chocci" 16th Jan
mutley110 h, 26 m ago

you mean i just connect the slingbox to my skybox at home? but how does …you mean i just connect the slingbox to my skybox at home? but how does it send the signal to my laptop/tablet/phone which are with me in spain? i am totally confused at the moment, the sky go app on the laptop/tablet/phone do not talk to the skybox at all. they are all separate devices, not talking to each other.

Does it matter how it does this, just have the internet on your device? Are you just trying wind me up?
Dannyrobbo3 h, 20 m ago

Does it matter how it does this, just have the internet on your device? …Does it matter how it does this, just have the internet on your device? Are you just trying wind me up?

i want to understand how it works. i think that you mean i plug the slingbox into my sky box at home in the uk and leave it running while we are in spain.

when we are in spain, we log into the sling box account, which is on the web and thereby get access to our sky box in the uk so we get to watch the movies etc on our sky box as if we are still at home.

it works through the slingbox rather than the skygo app, which we use at the moment on the devices as that does not work off the skybox.

have you used the slingbox yourself while you have been abroad and had no issue? our skybox go into standby after being inactive for a few hours, so i assume that the slingbox would be able to turn the skybox on when we log into the slingbox account?
mutley18 m ago

i want to understand how it works. i think that you mean i plug the …i want to understand how it works. i think that you mean i plug the slingbox into my sky box at home in the uk and leave it running while we are in spain.when we are in spain, we log into the sling box account, which is on the web and thereby get access to our sky box in the uk so we get to watch the movies etc on our sky box as if we are still at home.it works through the slingbox rather than the skygo app, which we use at the moment on the devices as that does not work off the skybox.have you used the slingbox yourself while you have been abroad and had no issue? our skybox go into standby after being inactive for a few hours, so i assume that the slingbox would be able to turn the skybox on when we log into the slingbox account?

You have pretty much got it, you can use slingbox on the pc application (maybe web but don’t quote me) or they have phone/tablet apps. Part of the setup is to get the remote working it operates the sky box using infra red (from the slingbox, which is at home too) so you can turn it on the same way and operate the remote as if you are at home.

The slingbox then takes the video signal and streams it to whatever device you are watching it on. That photo shows the pc application

33072640-PyrfR.jpg
Dannyrobbo5 m ago

You have pretty much got it, you can use slingbox on the pc application …You have pretty much got it, you can use slingbox on the pc application (maybe web but don’t quote me) or they have phone/tablet apps. Part of the setup is to get the remote working it operates the sky box using infra red (from the slingbox, which is at home too) so you can turn it on the same way and operate the remote as if you are at home. The slingbox then takes the video signal and streams it to whatever device you are watching it on. That photo shows the pc application[Image]

that sounds very clever. i will look into it further. thanks for taking the time to explain
mutley121 m ago

that sounds very clever. i will look into it further. thanks for taking …that sounds very clever. i will look into it further. thanks for taking the time to explain

No problem, it’s pretty old tech but it works well
Both iplayers for radio and tv work with a vpn. I'm abroad at the moment and I use windscribe for the tv iplayer.
Best and easiest option would be iptv. Works fine on the new firestick or pretty much any android box. I would recommend flawless hosting solutions as the provider. Could set it up here then just take it with them and plug in, connect to WiFi and that’s it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants