Groups

Need some help with bike sizes

I need to get 2 bikes for boys one who is 13 and the other 15. I have no time to go into halfords or any stores to have a look so was going to buy online - but im not sure of sizes. I want bikes that they can grow into and use for the next few years.

So am i looking for 24" and 26" or are they too big/small?

13 Comments

get a better idea if you mention their inside leg, and maybe what yours is, have an idea on sort of height they may reach.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

How much bigger do you plan on growing them in the next few years?

they will grow more- im sure. i dont want to buy one thats the right size now but too small in a year or two.

Personally I would find some time and take them to a store to try some. I can see this going rather wrong otherwise.

I would definitely get them measured, my bf has just bought a 22 inch frame bike and he is 5ft 11 !!

Height Of Child Age Of Child Wheel Size
    98 - 112cm 3 - 5 yrs 12"
    105 - 117cm 4 - 6 yrs 14"
    112 - 125cm 5 - 7 yrs 16"
    117 - 129cm 6 - 8 yrs 18"
    125 - 136cm 7 - 9 yrs 20"
    130 - 141cm 8 - 10yrs 24"

what sort of bike?

BMX / Mountain Bike ?

prob need about a 20" / 24" frame will be fine for them - anything bigger and you're looking at adult bikes

Original Poster

arcangel111

what sort of bike? BMX / Mountain Bike ?prob need about a 20" / 24" frame … what sort of bike? BMX / Mountain Bike ?prob need about a 20" / 24" frame will be fine for them - anything bigger and you're looking at adult bikes

i have no idea - just to go riding in the park. Think i will have to take some time out and have a look in halfords etc. Just thought i saw a good deal for a bike at sportssoccer and was going to go for that as the price seems pretty fair - not looking to spend over £80 each really.

link to sports soccer bike deal

and thanks for advice

Edited by: "s_paul" 19th Apr 2011

Would you buy them mail order shoes without getting them measured?

A bit of time getting them the right bikes will be far more rewarding than buying two bikes that will never get used because they don't fit!

s_paul

i have no idea - just to go riding in the park. Think i will have to take … i have no idea - just to go riding in the park. Think i will have to take some time out and have a look in halfords etc. Just thought i saw a good deal for a bike at sportssoccer and was going to go for that as the price seems pretty fair - not looking to spend over £80 each really.link to sports soccer bike dealand thanks for advice

Don't do it. Those things are dire.

Spend a touch more if you can on something they'll want to ride. Something like this on another HUKD thread.

i got my lad ( 9 ) a British Eagle BMX from ASDA last summer.. cost me £65 - it's a fab bike - i can ride it quite easily and i'm 6ft

arcangel111

i got my lad ( 9 ) a British Eagle BMX from ASDA last summer.. cost me … i got my lad ( 9 ) a British Eagle BMX from ASDA last summer.. cost me £65 - it's a fab bike - i can ride it quite easily and i'm 6ft

So it's too big for your 9 year old son, then.

not at all - just a normal BMX 20"
    he rides it quite well
    British Eagle BMX @ ASDA
    Edited by: "arcangel111" 21st Apr 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      2. word association Game74044544
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions