Expired

Need some help with itunes shared libraries

11 replies
Found 4th Mar 2009
Ok, so I have purchased a Lacie NAS (500gb) and have stored all my music on there. I've set it up to serve the music to the comuters on the network. When I open iTunes on my laptop (Dell XPS M1330), all the songs appear under the shared drive. When I go to play any of them, I just get an exclamation mark next to the song and nothing else happens. It's as if ITunes is unable to locate the song, but obviously has found the listing....

Any help?

11 Comments

That happened to me when I moved my music folder onto a different harddrive. iTunes will still look for the song in the original place so if moved them you will have an ! against the song. I had to move all mine back ! :thinking:

Did itunes access the files from a different folder before? Im sure there is an easy way of doing this but i had to delete everything that i knew i had a copy of and then get itunes to search the new drive for files. takes a hile but faster then doing it all 1 by1

Original Poster

but it's appearing as a 'shared library', completely seperate to my local library, which is how I wanted it to be. However, I can't play anything from there. I understand i'm not allowed to copy things, but play them surely!!

You'll need to change the i-tunes default folder to the folder on the shared drive.
Open I-tunes, Click "Edit", select "preferences" and click "advanced" tab. At the top it will list "i-Tunes Music Folder Location", next to that is a button to "Change", then enter the location of the folder on the shared drive. I-Tunes will then look at the new folder location and the exclamation marks should (?) disappear.

Original Poster

but that will make itunes think it's my local library, which I don't want to do because it will stop me being able to use my local library...

I want to use a 'shared drive' option in itunes

There isn't a shared drive option in i-Tunes, it is a shared library. I take it that each computer has it's own local folder as well. One of the computers on your network will have to have the folder on the shared drive as it's local folder or i-Tunes won't be able to share it's library. Also this computer will need to be on and i-Tunes open for the library to be shared.
I really had all sorts of problems when trying to do the same and in the end I gave up. I can't see any other way of doing it with i-Tunes. In the end I set up Windows Media Player as a network media player.

Original Poster

pugw$sh;4551884

There isn't a shared drive option in i-Tunes, it is a shared library. I … There isn't a shared drive option in i-Tunes, it is a shared library. I take it that each computer has it's own local folder as well. One of the computers on your network will have to have the folder on the shared drive as it's local folder or i-Tunes won't be able to share it's library. Also this computer will need to be on and i-Tunes open for the library to be shared.I really had all sorts of problems when trying to do the same and in the end I gave up. I can't see any other way of doing it with i-Tunes. In the end I set up Windows Media Player as a network media player.

But I can see all the files on the drive. iTunes can show the shared folder and has update all the songs that are in there, but just can't play anything on the drive. I thought this was the whole point of having a seperate NAS drive with iTunes server support :?

Original Poster

http://i41.tinypic.com/2po8h9t.jpg

lol pugw$sh is right me thinks. iThink iTunes is a system crippling resource draining piece of **** media player for noobs and fanboys...and no iAm not Apple hater.

Sorry I can't be of further help, I've reached the limits of my technical ability. Try the Apple Support forums, I didn't have too much success and switched to WMP for shared music and kept i-Tunes for my own personal music. My wife and kids didn't care too much for Sacred Reich, Metallica and Anthrax!

Original Poster

pugw$sh;4553416

Sorry I can't be of further help, I've reached the limits of my technical … Sorry I can't be of further help, I've reached the limits of my technical ability. Try the Apple Support forums, I didn't have too much success and switched to WMP for shared music and kept i-Tunes for my own personal music. My wife and kids didn't care too much for Sacred Reich, Metallica and Anthrax!

I left you Rep for your help to date, thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56526
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle45
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions