Need some laptop advice, in regards to processor and RAM, please..

Posted 26th Nov
AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.60GHz)
or
AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.80GHz)

8GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM
or
16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM

Hi all, I need a new laptop and was seriously thinking about the Lenovo 530s. I phoned up Lenovo customer services and the guy was saying you can make your own, to suit your needs (ThinkPad not IdeaPad.) So I took a look at the E595, IPS screen (that you all insist we novices need) will also install a - 512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, TLC.

What I got stuck on was the two top items.. I'm never going to play games, I like to have a lot of internet tabs open, (heavy internet user but that's it) play with some Microsoft programs and would have a lot of photos. The AMD difference is roughly £80 and the RAM £55... Do I need the AMD 7 and 16GB RAM or one, or neither?

I can afford both luckily but do I need? Thank you for any advice...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
Personally I wouldn't bother, the CPU difference is tiny and you can always add more RAM for less money at a later date if needed.
It's the general rule of thumb that "more is better" but that term can be applied in many different ways by different people. You say you are lucky to be able to afford either so for "future-proofing" then why not get the best you can afford?

As to whether you will need it - how do you know you won't? Software gets better over time and requires more and more system resources to run smoothly so I would take that into account. As for the IPS screen issue - yes, they are considered great but unless you are used to them, you might not think they are "all that" on initial impression. A normal LED screen is fine for most users. You would do well to visit a computer store and witness both 'in action' to help you decide.

If you want a smooth responding machine, with good performance whilst doing everyday tasks then an R5 with 8GB is fine. If you want great performance now and for the forthcoming future, go with the R7 and 16GB.

Whatever you decide on, catch22 - I hope you enjoy it and it serves you well.

Regards, Phsy.
Cpu won’t make a difference but I would get the extra ram....
You'll notice more difference with the ram but you can replace this later (some disassembly required but plenty of youtube videos) for a little bit cheaper.
Go with the Ryzen 5 3500U and 8GB RAM, then upgrade the RAM yourself (if you need to in the future).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th Nov
Thank you all for taking the time to answer me, appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions