Groups

Need some serious help about any loop holes regarding cheques paid into the account... please read.

Hiya,
    Please don't judge us with this, we are desperate for money so want to know if there's a loop hole with all this.
    My mom logged onto her and her partner's bank account and there was a cheque pending in there for £9942.00. They phoned the bank and they said it was paid in in Clapham Junction in my step-dad's name (her partner).
    The fraud team is onto it now and looking for who deposited it etc. We're wondering if they're allowed to keep it once it's cleared. Normally we would be like pay it back but money is so tight at the moment it's unbelievable.

So I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, knows what it could be (fraud-wise) and if there are any loop holes.
    Thanks in advance.

29 Comments

Why would the fraud department be looking into it if money has been deposited in?

Surely thats the worst thief ever.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5588200

Why would the fraud department be looking into it if money has been … Why would the fraud department be looking into it if money has been deposited in?Surely thats the worst thief ever.

It'll be something to do with money laundering. Apparently they pay it into the bank account and then once it's cleared takes it back out and then has access to the bank account.

I doubt they allow you to keep it,damn nearly £10K.

Original Poster

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5588229

I doubt they allow you to keep it,damn nearly £10K.

I know that's what we're thinking, I was just wondering if there was a loophole at all, they're so desperate for the money, it's horrible. It's like taunting them!!!

Hard up for money or not, this isn't yours and you want to keep it?

Then you post this on a public forum, some people have no shame.

Banned

you mean someone has depostied money into your account by mistake? sorry if it is clear to others, just seem a little confused to what you mean

Original Poster

It was paid in by cheque in my step-dad's name. It's not like a mistake with account numbers or anything, it's a paper cheque with their name on it.

And Davelfc, you can keep your opinions to yourself. I asked people not to judge, I'm asking for advice, and they were honest and contacted the bank. I'm asking if there's a loophole. And no I haven't got any shame in asking for advice, at the end of the day they've done everything with being honest, and now I'm asking if there's a way that they'd be able to keep it. They haven't stolen it, they're hard working law abiding citizens. All I'm asking is if there's a loophole, they've not done a runner with the money!

so whoever done it must of known his account number too,not just name?

Banned

im confused to why you think your step dad isnt entitled to it, if you dont think its a mistake why would you ask this? have they not told you who it is off

Banned

if it is fraud then of course you wont be able to keep it, if the money was wrongfully put in by error on the banks part then again of course you wont be able to keep it

Original Poster

loupomm;5588398

so whoever done it must of known his account number too,not just name?

Well yeah, they must have. At first I was confused, but yeah when you pay a cheque in yourself you have to have the sort code and account number.

My mom's friend said with some people working at the bank, they choose someone's name and account, and then pay someone to pay the cheque in (so it can't be linked back to the original money launderers) and then they take it out once it's cleared and other money in the person's account.

We're not sure why that account has been "targeted" as they don't use the card with the account, and it's just used as a sort of billing account, with 2 direct debits set up on it and they pay money in from other accounts. They have 3 bank accounts altogether, so if they've got access to this one, then surely they'll have access to the other 2 too?

Original Poster

sassie;5588446

im confused to why you think your step dad isnt entitled to it, if you … im confused to why you think your step dad isnt entitled to it, if you dont think its a mistake why would you ask this? have they not told you who it is off

No, all they said is that it was paid in in Clapham Junction, and that it was in the account holder's name (my step-dad).

We don't think he's entitled to it like it's his money, we're asking if there's a loophole that would allow him to keep it being as it's paid into his account with his name and account number.

this is the naive scenario: I dont think there would be any loopholes. You've said it already that the bank has looked into it. That means if the cheque was deposited by mistake, the bank will probably find out, at which point it will then reimburse the money to the depositor.

the only thing that may keep the money is if your step father is able to contact the person who made the deposit and tell them to assure the bank that the cheque is not a mistake. However, this wouldnt a loophole would it?

a more likely scenario is like your mother's friend said: someone is using your parents' bank account to wash their money which prompted the possibility that an identity theft has occured

midjet666;5588485

No, all they said is that it was paid in in Clapham Junction, and that it … No, all they said is that it was paid in in Clapham Junction, and that it was in the account holder's name (my step-dad). We don't think he's entitled to it like it's his money, we're asking if there's a loophole that would allow him to keep it being as it's paid into his account with his name and account number.

I seriously wonder if this is a wind up?

There are no loopholes. The money wasn't theirs to begin with so there's no way they're going to get any of it because it's all come from somewhere, possibly someone elses bank account. When it all gets traced, the full amount will be given back to the rightful owner.

I'd get them to talk to the bank about opening up 3 completely new accounts, all with different numbers, as goodness knows how someone got their details in the first place, but I'd be worried about any of their money coming out in the future !

Banned

it sounds like some sort of bank error to me

Original Poster

thesaint;5588512

I seriously wonder if this is a wind up?

why would I wind you up about this?

Original Poster

sassie;5588526

it sounds like some sort of bank error to me

It's not an error as it was a paper cheque, it's not like an error with numbers. It's weird.

midjet666;5588388

It was paid in by cheque in my step-dad's name. It's not like a mistake … It was paid in by cheque in my step-dad's name. It's not like a mistake with account numbers or anything, it's a paper cheque with their name on it. And Davelfc, you can keep your opinions to yourself. I asked people not to judge, I'm asking for advice, and they were honest and contacted the bank. I'm asking if there's a loophole. And no I haven't got any shame in asking for advice, at the end of the day they've done everything with being honest, and now I'm asking if there's a way that they'd be able to keep it. They haven't stolen it, they're hard working law abiding citizens. All I'm asking is if there's a loophole, they've not done a runner with the money!

You can ask me (or others) not to judge all you like but that isn't going to happen. When you post in a public forum then you get the replies you deserve or are you not getting this internet thing.

Original Poster

Charlie&Lola;5588521

There are no loopholes. The money wasn't theirs to begin with so there's … There are no loopholes. The money wasn't theirs to begin with so there's no way they're going to get any of it because it's all come from somewhere, possibly someone elses bank account. When it all gets traced, the full amount will be given back to the rightful owner.I'd get them to talk to the bank about opening up 3 completely new accounts, all with different numbers, as goodness knows how someone got their details in the first place, but I'd be worried about any of their money coming out in the future !

I know it wasn't theirs, but if it's money laundering then it'll just be confiscated from the fraudsters. Like it's drugs money or something?
    My mom's looked on google and it looks like it's all from Abbey National banks.

They're going to open 3 new accounts, just to be on the safe side.

Banned

midjet666;5588540

It's not an error as it was a paper cheque, it's not like an error with … It's not an error as it was a paper cheque, it's not like an error with numbers. It's weird.

there is more than one joe bloggs in the world, maybe the clerk put the cheque into joe bloggs account ending in 123 instead of joe bloggs account ending in 321

I'm pleased to hear your mother is opening another bank account and that they reported it, I hope they seek advice from the bank and police and make sure their new account is secure.

The cash is from criminal activity (we assume) so you will not get your hands on it.

amount error? was he expected a payment of any other amount?

have any payments due from anything?

online betting accounts/competitions?

quidco? :lol:

Original Poster

loupomm;5588594

amount error? was he expected a payment of any other amount?have any … amount error? was he expected a payment of any other amount?have any payments due from anything?online betting accounts/competitions?quidco? :lol:

Nope, they weren't expecting any money from anyone. Not sure where it's come from.

I don't understand why you want loopholes. If the money was for your stepdad then there's no problem. If not, then someone else somewhere else is out of pocket by nearly 10 grand - and if they're now out by £10 grand then there is also the possibility that money is now a bit tight for them too!

I'm sure the bank/police will sort out that side of things - whether you discover 'loopholes' or not.

donttouchthehair;5588718

I don't understand why you want loopholes. If the money was for your … I don't understand why you want loopholes. If the money was for your stepdad then there's no problem. If not, then someone else somewhere else is out of pocket by nearly 10 grand - and if they're now out by £10 grand then there is also the possibility that money is now a bit tight for them too!I'm sure the bank/police will sort out that side of things - whether you discover 'loopholes' or not.

And if that person that is out of pocket just happens to be a criminal then how does anyone think they'll react to losing their £10k through a loophole? Badly would be an understatement.

davelfc;5588754

And if that person that is out of pocket just happens to be a criminal … And if that person that is out of pocket just happens to be a criminal then how does anyone think they'll react to losing their £10k through a loophole? Badly would be an understatement.

That's a good point- you don't want to go messing with people who are nasty crims!

Anti money laundering laws are very tight. If there's a hint they have the power to freeze the acc for as long as they look into the matter. Trying to move the money is the worst thing you could do, the very last thing you want is to be thought of as being involved. You could end up with all kind of other problems.

Hey hon, I understand this is a rough deal for your parents as if they're short of money suddenly seeing 10k in their account musta looked like a god send...

but sweetie, the money isn't theres and they arent entitled to any of it.

Whats more if theres activity on their account they don't understand the rest of whatever savings they have in that account might also be at risk.

Let the banks/ police/fraud squad deal with it..

Buy your Mum some flowers to make up for the disappointment x x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Large card print/poster..22
      2. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.68
      3. Jury service1823
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?616

See more discussions