Groups
    EXPIRED

Need some Technical advice on new HDD and transfering.......

Hiya, I've been put off buying HDD for my main pc because there was so many deals on every month. Unfortunatly now that my 30GB IDE drive running Vista is stuggling. I have approx, 200mbs remaining, trying to clear some space but no luck! tried CCleaner and disc cleaner.

Currently run a 80gb SATA for my programs files and 250gb for my media files. I just want to replace it with one 'big' 1tb-1.5tb, partitioned 3 ways. I dont really want to re-install everything again, i just want to copy everything over and leave it as is. Is this possible thro some software? I have a laptop if required.

So I suppose what im looking for is 1tb+ HDD, and software to transfer things over. Many thanks in advance!

8 Comments

Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.

Personally i find Acronis the better one as i have used Ghost in the past and Windows failed to boot properly.

Squelds;6154154

Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.Personally i find Acronis the better … Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.Personally i find Acronis the better one as i have used Ghost in the past and Windows failed to boot properly.

Agree with Acronis True Image

Try running Disk Clean Up in Vista.

With Disk Clean Up you can also delete old Restore Points and Shadow Copies that can take up a lot of space. You need to select "More Options" on the disk cleanup window after it has done a scan to see what it can remove.

Also try running compcln.exe (if you have Vista SP2 on). You need to run this as an administrator. More here

vistax64.com/tut…tml

I have just run disk clean up (and removed old restore points and shadow copies) and it cleared over 10Gb of files.

Personally I think you are better running 2 hard disks in your desktop.

The first "smaller" one (100gb?) could have just Windows on it (and your programs).

The second "larger" one (1tb) could have all your personal files.

The beauty of this is that after you have done the install of Windows on the smaller drive, you can then take an "image" of it and store it on your larger hard drive.

Because all your personal files are on the large drive, it means you can "reinstall" Windows from the large drive without having to worrry about backing up your personal files first from the smaller drive.

I have this setup, and I can reinstall Windows in about 15 or so minutes (depending on Windows version), if I get a virus or any other sort of problems.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys, I shall look into those links a little later. In the mean time, are there any must get 1tb HDD's?

For me i always go Western Digital Caviar, but thats personal choice. Id say avoid the 'green' series - they are supposedly better power but shut down spin cycles so each time you go to use that drive it has to re-power thus slower access times so to speak... if that makes sense. The best imo are the black series, but more expensive and i dont know what capacity they go up to as im just about to have dinner and cant look.

Others prefer Seagate.... ones to avoid are Hitachi, Samsung, other companies own brands like Novatech for instance.

Good thing about WD are that they also come with a 3 year no questions warranty. Each to their own... im just giving you my personal choice - im running 2 x 1tb , 5 x 500gig, 2 x 320gig, all WD, never had any probs ;-)

PS.. its worth noting what guilbert53 says as that makes the most sense in you situation. Id keep all my data files separate from windows files purely for the fact that if i needed to reinstall windows, specifically Vista, it likes a fresh partition to install onto clean of data, so no backing up ;-)

Squelds;6155525

ones to avoid are Hitachi, Samsung, other companies own brands like … ones to avoid are Hitachi, Samsung, other companies own brands like Novatech for instance.

Although note that PC Pro usually give good reviews to Samsung drives, and in fact the current A list hard dive from PC Pro is a Samsung.

pcpro.co.uk/ali…isk

Fair enough Samsung's are cheaper thus better value for money... but to me not as reliable or quality as the afore mentioned. I know a few tech guys who work at my local Novatech and we've had this discussion many a time about the best manufacturer... always comes back as WD - Black series especially. PS... not taking into account the Raptor ;-)

BUT as i said all along... each to their own, every company has a certain failure rate and people will always say 'i had a WD and it failed after.....'. Personally ive never had any probs touch wood ;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free Codes from EGX66
      2. One for the mathmeticians1829
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767422
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2645

See more discussions