Need suggestions, Piano and Violin

Posted 15th May
Hello community members,

I have no experience in music instruments and no knowledge in general hence need help from community.

My daughter wants to learn Violin and my niece wants to Learn piano.

They will start F2F lessons as soon as this covid situation is little better, for now they will stick to online lessons.

I have looked online but have no idea what is good or bad or average and need recommendation on what should we buy for them. Possibly something which last for a while before they need upgrade.

Budget is max £200 each.

May you please suggest what should I get, I have seen 2nd hands on gumtree /FB market place etc but not sure what should I get and where should I get from.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Plenty of electric pianos around. They don't hold their value well -which usually means someone else has taken the hit- and they have a headphone socket which is great.
Alternatively, a touch sensitive keyboard. I don't think you'd get a particularly decent acoustic piano for £200.
Edited by: "britlad" 15th May
Gumtree. I'm sure that plenty of people have bought their kids a piano or violin only to see them lose interest in it after a while so you should be able to find them for sale on there.
Haircut_10015/05/2020 21:53

Gumtree. I'm sure that plenty of people have bought their kids a piano or …Gumtree. I'm sure that plenty of people have bought their kids a piano or violin only to see them lose interest in it after a while so you should be able to find them for sale on there.

I am looking but have no idea which one is good, any brands I should be looking at?
britlad15/05/2020 21:52

Plenty of electric pianos around. They don't hold their value well -which …Plenty of electric pianos around. They don't hold their value well -which usually means someone else has taken the hit- and they have a headphone socket which is great. Alternatively, a touch sensitive keyboard. I don't think you'd get a particularly decent acoustic piano for £200.

Thanks will look at electronic options too
Piano. Yamaha, technics, Roland for digital.
Acoustic piano.. Kemble? Danemann? You might get lucky. Best thing to do is ask their teacher to come with you, otherwise you could end up with a real klanger.
Edited by: "britlad" 15th May
britlad15/05/2020 22:03

Piano. Yamaha, technics, Roland for digital.Acoustic piano.. Kemble? …Piano. Yamaha, technics, Roland for digital.Acoustic piano.. Kemble? Danemann? You might get lucky. Best thing to do is ask their teacher to come with you, otherwise you could end up with a real klanger.

Yeah I had similar thought about asking them and check if any of there students upgrading and selling previous ones.

Thanks!
Problem with 'real' pianos is the ongoing costs of tuning etc. You can often pick up (if you have a van + couple of helpers) free pianos on gumtree / facebook. They are big and heavy.

Plenty of electric pianos and keyboards around used at good prices and actually they sound pretty good these days.

Also loads of cheap violins about - budget to replace the strings and bridge. You don't give ages, but assuming shes young and not looking at a full size violin then its worth talking to the teacher to see if any other students are selling something that they've grown out of.

I've actually just bought my daughter an electric violin, its almost silent with headphones on and she will be able to plug into a guitar amp to get effects if she wants.(which could be a big plus with a beginner).

Standard brands are things like Stentor, stagg, etc but lots of really cheap chinese stuff about.

Might also be worth talking to the school/county council - many have instrument loan schemes.

Also be grateful they are interested in mainstream instruments, a friend of ours has a daughter that plays the Harp. Her current instrument cost >£10,000.
I second instrument loan schemes - if the kids get bored, you aren't stuck with unwanted instruments!
I'd ask their prospective teacher for advice on the spec required, as (for keyboard) they differ and the teacher may require certain functions or sizes etc.
mas9915/05/2020 22:36

Problem with 'real' pianos is the ongoing costs of tuning etc. You can …Problem with 'real' pianos is the ongoing costs of tuning etc. You can often pick up (if you have a van + couple of helpers) free pianos on gumtree / facebook. They are big and heavy.Plenty of electric pianos and keyboards around used at good prices and actually they sound pretty good these days.Also loads of cheap violins about - budget to replace the strings and bridge. You don't give ages, but assuming shes young and not looking at a full size violin then its worth talking to the teacher to see if any other students are selling something that they've grown out of.I've actually just bought my daughter an electric violin, its almost silent with headphones on and she will be able to plug into a guitar amp to get effects if she wants.(which could be a big plus with a beginner). Standard brands are things like Stentor, stagg, etc but lots of really cheap chinese stuff about.Might also be worth talking to the school/county council - many have instrument loan schemes.Also be grateful they are interested in mainstream instruments, a friend of ours has a daughter that plays the Harp. Her current instrument cost >£10,000.

As mas99 has said ask people who teach violins, which are good brands they may have students looking to upgrade
Where are you based I know across the Midlands there are various music hobs which teach professionally at a reduced cost and offer free loan equipment(after a while it is better to buy your own as the quality of instrument)
sidhoooooo16/05/2020 08:49

Where are you based I know across the Midlands there are various music …Where are you based I know across the Midlands there are various music hobs which teach professionally at a reduced cost and offer free loan equipment(after a while it is better to buy your own as the quality of instrument)

I am in Berkshire, near reading
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions