Need to Buy CPU, Cheapest deal available in I7 or I7 please.

I have a old desktop with excellent monitor,keyboard and mouse. Just want to buy a new CPU with max RAM, processor preferably I5 or I7 as kids in secondary can play some games. For homework they already have laptops. I have 5.1 card would I be able to fix into the new desktop. Thanks in advance for your answers. Looking to use it for VR.

22 Comments

Are you sure you know how to build a PC?

Max RAM? You already have a 5.1 card?

Please include more information and I may be able to help.

Original Poster

I know to build one but I don't want to take the pain in doing so. 'Max RAM' mentioned as if I get a decent Graphics card with i7 processor, and 4 GB RAM wouldn't be sufficient. I plan to use it for VR later not this year though. Just I already have a 5.1 card. Sorry I am looking to buy new CPU.
Edited by: "scorpiostar" 6th Sep 2016

think you'll need a new motherboard first, better to buy a bare PC from ebuyer

Your post is very confusing.

So are you going to build a computer or do you want to buy a new cpu for your pc? If so then you will need to tell us what motherboard as there are several generations of i7 which all work on different motherboards.

Also vram and ram are two different things.

You do not need an i7 for vr it's much more dependant on your graphics card including the vram

Unless you list more info on present desktop, no one can offer advice. We need to know make and model. Or at least processor socket, or present cpu, how many ram slots it has, psu size?

About CPU - get i5 6600K instead of i7 ( and spend saved money on good mobo). Cost is about £219 for CPU.
And match mobo for it and rest of things.

Max RAM is dependent on motherboard and what it supports. I haven't built a pc for about 6 years, and as others have said your post is a little confusing. If you list motherboard etc people will be able to help.

Original Poster

AndrewRoss

Max RAM is dependent on motherboard and what it supports. I haven't built … Max RAM is dependent on motherboard and what it supports. I haven't built a pc for about 6 years, and as others have said your post is a little confusing. If you list motherboard etc people will be able to help.

I am the same, not done for 10 years and changed profession.

Original Poster

Is this a good deal. Would I be able to use VR on this one. And later on would I be able add a touch screen monitor to this as the one that I have now is not touch screen.
ebay.co.uk/itm…816?hash=item1c6dc455a8:g:hOoAAOSw-kdXxYfL

I think you are like my girlfriend, and call the actual pc a cpu. Lol am I right?

scorpiostar

Is this a good deal. Would I be able to use VR on this one. And later on … Is this a good deal. Would I be able to use VR on this one. And later on would I be able add a touch screen monitor to this as the one that I have now is not touch screen. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-i7-SFF-790-3-40-GHZ-2600-QUAD-COR-16GB-1TB-HD-DVD-WR-1GB-GRAPHIC-/122100667816?hash=item1c6dc455a8:g:hOoAAOSw-kdXxYfL

So you heard about VR but you have no clue what kind of PC you need ?
Every single article on internet and almost every single YT video mention that you need "DECENT PC" not +£200 PC .
You will have to spend at least £500 to get a starter VR PC!!!
Edited by: "klopikxda" 6th Sep 2016

I'm not being difficult btw I'm just saying we all thought you were buying a processor, but you are actually looking for the whole pc minus monitor, mouse and kb aren't you?

Do you need an operating system?

Original Poster

AndrewRoss

I think you are like my girlfriend, and call the actual pc a cpu. Lol am … I think you are like my girlfriend, and call the actual pc a cpu. Lol am I right?

Please google PC consists of CPU, Monitor,keyboard,Mouse. And CPU is the processing unit. I don;t know what your GF calls these.

scorpiostar

Please google PC consists of CPU, Monitor,keyboard,Mouse. And CPU is the … Please google PC consists of CPU, Monitor,keyboard,Mouse. And CPU is the processing unit. I don;t know what your GF calls these.

Everyone is asking you what you are looking to buy because your post :
"I have a old desktop with excellent monitor,keyboard and mouse. Just want to buy a new CPU with max RAM, processor preferably I5 or I7 as kids in secondary can play some games. For homework they already have laptops. I have 5.1 card would I be able to fix into the new desktop. Thanks in advance for your answers. Looking to use it for VR." HAS NO SENSE AT ALL.

Original Poster

AndrewRoss

I'm not being difficult btw I'm just saying we all thought you were … I'm not being difficult btw I'm just saying we all thought you were buying a processor, but you are actually looking for the whole pc minus monitor, mouse and kb aren't you? Do you need an operating system?

No I have got windows 10 licensed.

Well when I built one a pc consisted of a power supply (psu) motherboard, ram, cpu and cooler, graphics/sound and network card (last three can be built into motherboard), then a hdd, optical drive and a case.

Then you plug a monitor in to see what's going on, a mouse and keyboard to control it and install the operating system on the hdd. But I might be wrong it's been 6 years after all.

Original Poster

klopikxda

So you heard about VR but you have no clue what kind of PC you need … So you heard about VR but you have no clue what kind of PC you need ?Every single article on internet and almost every single YT video mention that you need "DECENT PC" not +£200 PC .You will have to spend at least £500 to get a starter VR PC!!!

Hope you are asking me to invest in something like this one.
amazon.co.uk/dp/…me=

scorpiostar

Hope you are asking me to invest in something like this one. … Hope you are asking me to invest in something like this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KJ1GEQ8/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

In mobo to make a PC VR capable? Absolutely not !!!

1.Do you want to buy a VR PC ? or
2.Do you want to upgrade existing PC ? or
3.Do you want to buy a CPU only ?

Choose one, PLEEEEESE

Original Poster

klopikxda

1.Do you want to buy a VR PC ? or2.Do you want to upgrade existing PC ? … 1.Do you want to buy a VR PC ? or2.Do you want to upgrade existing PC ? or3.Do you want to buy a CPU only ?Choose one, PLEEEEESE

scorpiostar

Took me 10s to find this :
riftinfo.com/buy…are
but above will be good for a Vive too.

Also another approach (cheapest option) - prices in $ but shouldn't be more than £500.
But this is for entry level VR PC:
digitaltrends.com/vir…pc/

Don't forget about spending another £450 (Rift) - £650 (Vive) on VR equipment.

Original Poster

Brilliant support and answer. Thanks

klopikxda

Took me 10s to find this … Took me 10s to find this :http://riftinfo.com/buy-the-best-vr-pc-hardwarebut above will be good for a Vive too.Also another approach (cheapest option) - prices in $ but shouldn't be more than £500.But this is for entry level VR PC:http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/how-to-build-a-cheap-vr-ready-pc/Don't forget about spending another £450 (Rift) - £650 (Vive) on VR equipment.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions