Need to catch a mouse

Posted 16th Apr
we have a mouse in the house. last couple of weeks have had cereals and pasta etc eaten during the nights .

I've ordered some mouse traps.

What is the best bait to use?

I did call the council but pest control not possible due to covid-19
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Peanut butter it’s never failed for me(y)
montyburns5616/04/2020 15:03

So you've got a mouse loose, about the house?

No it’s a moose loose aboot the hoose(y)
39 Comments
Peanut butter it’s never failed for me(y)
Peanut butter 100%
Peanut butter or paté always work.
A cat named Tom should be able to give it a good bash for you.
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 16th Apr
Pound shop, blue corn.
RYANdeals16/04/2020 14:56

A cat named Tom should be able to give it a good bash for you.

he’s so unreliable
we just used the classic, nubbin of grated cheese
Peanut butter as already mentioned or chocolate
Use a spot of Araldite or similar to fix a peanut or raisin onto the bait tab. I've had as many as 3 mice for one peanut.
montyburns5616/04/2020 15:03

No it’s a moose loose aboot the hoose(y)
Baked beans, booze and discount vouchers, as obvsly the night-time petty pilferer of pasta and cereal will be a student.
On first glance I thought you said "Need to catch a nonce"

40432976-zyPa6.jpg
put down the big cheese block poison. i find that works really well.
Peanut butter but i sadly had to resort to sticky traps caught it within 2 hours i put them at every door entrance
qbs16/04/2020 15:15

Use a spot of Araldite or similar to fix a peanut or raisin onto the bait …Use a spot of Araldite or similar to fix a peanut or raisin onto the bait tab. I've had as many as 3 mice for one peanut.

I use paté and you are making them share a peanut
It goes from one extreme to another lol...
Cheese block with chilli.
They will have a fit going round in circles and pass out. Works every time.
deleted622739
And Me!
40434352-0BCxP.jpg
You still have to find the source so don't kill it. Use some slow release poison.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 16th Apr
MadeDixonsCry16/04/2020 18:30

You still have to find the source so don't kill it. Use some snow release …You still have to find the source so don't kill it. Use some snow release poison.

Wow .... Snow release poison. Does it leave big blizzards to freeze said annoying rodent or just a light dusting so you can follow its tiny footprints back to its igloo.
oliviasgrandad16/04/2020 18:45

Wow .... Snow release poison. Does it leave big blizzards to freeze said …Wow .... Snow release poison. Does it leave big blizzards to freeze said annoying rodent or just a light dusting so you can follow its tiny footprints back to its igloo.

I'd blame autocorrect but really, I should learn to read my comments before I submit!
MadeDixonsCry16/04/2020 18:47

I'd blame autocorrect but really, I should learn to read my … I'd blame autocorrect but really, I should learn to read my comments before I submit!

If you didn't already know. Put the traps against your skirting board as they run with the wall on their side
MadeDixonsCry16/04/2020 18:30

You still have to find the source so don't kill it. Use some slow release …You still have to find the source so don't kill it. Use some slow release poison.

Not a fan of poison, depends where the mouse is when it eventually dies, might be fairly inaccessible and can lead to smells, flies etc.
Pandamansays16/04/2020 19:22

Not a fan of poison, depends where the mouse is when it eventually dies, …Not a fan of poison, depends where the mouse is when it eventually dies, might be fairly inaccessible and can lead to smells, flies etc.

Very true.
Do not put poison down as we had a mouse die somewhere and the smell was awful! Makes me gag just thinking about it
A bit of a mars bar works a treat, it's sticky enough so it doesn't come off and attractive to the mice! Or try a humane trap with a bit of mars bar in it, you can then release the mouse!
Thanks guys. Someones been able to get a trap but nothing on it as yet after 1 night
Are you sure it is a mouse rather than a rat? The droppings are the clue - mice lots as they 'go' all the time brown bit like grains of rice, rats a big dollop.

I didn't think council pest controllers came out for mice.
JimboParrot17/04/2020 09:05

Are you sure it is a mouse rather than a rat? The droppings are the clue …Are you sure it is a mouse rather than a rat? The droppings are the clue - mice lots as they 'go' all the time brown bit like grains of rice, rats a big dollop.I didn't think council pest controllers came out for mice.

To be fair I haven't noticed any droppings. Only the mess they have left behind.
JimboParrot17/04/2020 09:05

Are you sure it is a mouse rather than a rat? The droppings are the clue …Are you sure it is a mouse rather than a rat? The droppings are the clue - mice lots as they 'go' all the time brown bit like grains of rice, rats a big dollop.I didn't think council pest controllers came out for mice.

this is true, Council pest controllers will only come for rats, not mice. as my friend found out on his last flat
I found chocolate works well, well it did for me.
I think it maybe a rat as saw a big rat in the garden on Friday. The traps I got are too small for the rat. .
We've had the cupboards empty the last few days. Will not have food in the lower ones now. Just plates etc. The rat loved gravy and stuffing. Also pasta.
Sprograt18/04/2020 23:05

I found chocolate works well, well it did for me.

The pest control guys who do our workplace use snickers
fattyflumpalump19/04/2020 09:34

The pest control guys who do our workplace use snickers

That's what I used with that on the trap I caught it on the second night.
pKaTz19/04/2020 09:21

I think it maybe a rat as saw a big rat in the garden on Friday. The traps …I think it maybe a rat as saw a big rat in the garden on Friday. The traps I got are too small for the rat. .

I thought it might be given you'd not found any droppings. Rats do a big dolloppy type one.

We had a rat in the house. It chewed through the wooden floor boards, the carpet gripper, the underlay and the carpet one end of the living room. We blocked this off with wire wool and chicken wire. It then chewed through the concrete extension floor. We, at that time, had two parrots, and it was coming in to eat their seed. We had the pest control out via home insurance. He put poison in trays under the floor. It had also chewed through the floor boards in the understairs cupboard around the gas pipe and we could hear it gnawing at night. He came back three weeks in a row to check the poison, but we never caught it.

Block off any holes/gaps you can see and store all food in tins for now. I got quite traumatised over the whole thing as we could hear it overnight chewing through the floor boards once we were aware of it. Cleve creature in that we were totally unaware it wa in the house and only when I climbed a pair of steps to dust a lightshade and saw an empty bowl on a shelf full of parrot seed, nuts and shells did I know something was afoot!
JimboParrot19/04/2020 10:17

I thought it might be given you'd not found any droppings. Rats do a big …I thought it might be given you'd not found any droppings. Rats do a big dolloppy type one.We had a rat in the house. It chewed through the wooden floor boards, the carpet gripper, the underlay and the carpet one end of the living room. We blocked this off with wire wool and chicken wire. It then chewed through the concrete extension floor. We, at that time, had two parrots, and it was coming in to eat their seed. We had the pest control out via home insurance. He put poison in trays under the floor. It had also chewed through the floor boards in the understairs cupboard around the gas pipe and we could hear it gnawing at night. He came back three weeks in a row to check the poison, but we never caught it. Block off any holes/gaps you can see and store all food in tins for now. I got quite traumatised over the whole thing as we could hear it overnight chewing through the floor boards once we were aware of it. Cleve creature in that we were totally unaware it wa in the house and only when I climbed a pair of steps to dust a lightshade and saw an empty bowl on a shelf full of parrot seed, nuts and shells did I know something was afoot!

There was a hole chewed in skirting board which I blocked off. The drain pipe had a big gap around it which is where we thought it was coming in. That was then filled with cement so no gap. Next night rat still got in and made a mess.

Must be behind kitchen units.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions