Groups

Need to drive.

Don't really know if this is the place to post but I am 29 and have never ever drove I have zero confidence and keep telling myself I can't do it. How ever I want to at least give it a go this year! Where do I start??? Are there any things to purchase first so I can start by learning at home? Thanks.

50 Comments

Driving lessons

You're never too old to do something and your confidence will only grow once you start. You could start by buying a Highway Code book, or I think they do apps now which do the same thing and software for your theory test.

Learning to drive is daunting at first for anyone, whether they are 17 or not! Once you get started you won't believe that you ever felt afraid.

Go for it. You're never too old to learn

Check out your local Driving instructors , not only do they teach you to drive they will give you the confidence you think you lack . Must be easy I did it years ago Highway code is about the only thing you could pre learn .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Jan 2015

I did not learn to drive until I was 33. I've not looked back since. The confidence will come when you start driving lessons. Get an app for the theory test or a CD for it whatever you prefer. Book the theory test and your lessons. Speak to a couple of instructors some do trial lessons at a cheaper rate. one thing I would say is you have to feel comfortable with your instructor especially as your confidence is low at the moment. Just remember all drivers had to learn. You can do it... go for it...

I didn't learn till I was 46 , if I can a chimp can. Get the DVD and highway code and read it whenever you've a min spare. You'll do it I'm confident you will

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I am capable of a lot of things but I don't know what it is about driving but as a passenger it all looks so difficult for me to take in! I worry about little things like changing gear. Definitely going to download an app, thanks.

Looks like you're getting the New Years resolutions going - comparing Home Insurance - starting Quidco ,learning to drive . You'll wonder what took you so long as they are all so easy .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Jan 2015

Original Poster

rogparki

Looks like you're getting the New Yeas resolutions going - comparing Home … Looks like you're getting the New Yeas resolutions going - comparing Home Insurance - starting Quidco ,learning to drive . You'll wonder what took you so long as they are all so easy .

lol yea! I have a big list!

My other half is a driving instructor and trust me, from some of the stories I'm told, there are some first class numpties out there who still manage to pass (and are probably still a danger on the roads). If you have some intelligence and can pick up practical skills, you will be fine. Instructors have to pass tests too and they are graded (not something most people know). Grade 6 is the highest grade an instructor can be - try and find one at this grade if you can.
    Edited by: "Mermoo" 6th Jan 2015

Im 31 and I dont drive. Have a local train station 15mins away which is 7mins out of Reading, so never really needed it. But decided this year i will look to get on the road. First thing, il get a book or two and some online material. Once i feel competant, them i will learn on the road. Save money and do reading materials first. Then hit the road. My dad is going to help me at first, give me lessons. Then later on il go with an instructor for 5 lessons before doing a test. If you know anyone who can help, go for it. But if its a family member, try practicing on a road area where there is not much traffic....last thing u need is a family member shouting in your face at every mistake!!

louisebarker

lol yea! I have a big list!

But I'd leave climbing Everest and paddling up the Amazon until next year -after you've passed your Driving test .

go for it,I was late to learn now I drive for a living,it give you more options

Do it, im 34 and i passed at the begining of last month and i started in april, i failed the first time but done it on the second, im glad i failed first time round as i was much more relaxed when i passed

Didn't pass until was 35 took a break from driving in 2002 moved to London didn't bother. Had failed and lost all motivation. Then my wife got pregnant and this was the catalyst. recommend you buy driving theory test app by deep river! practiced this every morn and eve for two weeks and scored 49/50 on the real life theory test. You will need to book some lesson would recommend AA or Bsm could take anything from 10 hrs to 50 hrs of lessons depending on if you have access to own car and family/mate to give you top up lessons. You need an instructor you can get on with but also one that will push you. Do keep going despite the ups and downs would also suggest a Driving hypnosis DVD/CD in the week run up before test to get rid of the mental demons. All the best ED

I would add that if you haven't got a clue. about driving, don't start driving with mates etc, if you learn things wrong way, it will only more difficult. to re learn. loads I'd driving schools do cheap bundle lessons for beginners, something like 10 hrs for £99. but then again, I think people who are scared of driving, shouldn't drive, they are more danger to anyone else. (with that I don't mean beginner hesitation, I mean people who are scared to drive at mirw than 20 mph in there landrover and just obstruct and annoy everyone, specially on snow)

Forza.

My Mum was 47 when she started lessons and passed within a year on her 2nd go.

Hello op , i am also 29 and have recently started some driving lessons ....i put it off for ages as felt i had no confidence ..etc . i got fed up with putting if off and went for it . after the 1st lesson i felt fine and was excited about my lessons . go for it . it'll be fine

adamsa29

I would add that if you haven't got a clue. about driving, don't start … I would add that if you haven't got a clue. about driving, don't start driving with mates etc, if you learn things wrong way, it will only more difficult. to re learn. loads I'd driving schools do cheap bundle lessons for beginners, something like 10 hrs for £99. but then again, I think people who are scared of driving, shouldn't drive, they are more danger to anyone else. (with that I don't mean beginner hesitation, I mean people who are scared to drive at mirw than 20 mph in there landrover and just obstruct and annoy everyone, specially on snow)

Have you ever tried stopping a Land Rover on packed snow? oO

It seems to me that is you that may need some more driving instruction.

You can get a experience day aimed at under 16s and it usually involves driving a car around a marked out road system on an empty private car park, perhaps something like this will be less daunting as a one off as there will be no other traffic to worry about allowing you to just concentrate on driving the car

Remember, driving is a learned skill, just like tying shoelaces. If you do it enough times your brain and body learn the mechanical part until the body can do the functions almost automatically. Once this happens, the brain suddenly has enough capacity to think about navigating or tuning the radio. With a sympathetic instructor you will learn at your own pace, there is no correct pace, only your own.
    You can help yourself by taking lessons close together and by reading up or watching videos about the lesson content before the actual lesson. An instructor that you like and who communicates well is critical to good progress.

louisebarker

Thanks guys, I am capable of a lot of things but I don't know what it is … Thanks guys, I am capable of a lot of things but I don't know what it is about driving but as a passenger it all looks so difficult for me to take in! I worry about little things like changing gear. Definitely going to download an app, thanks.

Don't worry to much about the mechanical side of things.took me 10 lessons to manage and understand the gears,at the beginning I sought out a driving instructor who had experience of nervous drivers,i spent over a year on lessons,passed on my 3rd attempt.you,ll surprise yourself at how much you,ll learn.

First you need to get yourself The latest Highway Code book, and CD
    Have a few driving lessons to build up your confidence, then book theory test. Once you've passed the theory you concentrate more on driving lessons. Your instructor will tell you when he/she thinks your ready for the test.

If you really have ZERO confidence at the moment, maybe a suggestion is learning to drive in an automatic car.

You will be fine! We all get there in the end- I passed on my 3rd test

It's a piece of cake - just need to keep calm and stick to your own lane - and indicate! And try to drive at the speed limit - not at 20 mph.
    Your best bet is to start with a driving instructor - there are tons around so just google for driving lessons.

I had the exact same experience last year. I'm 28 and had no clue or experience.
    It's actually much easier than I expected. Just get as much knowledge in to your brain using theory/ practical test apps/ DVDs / books

Firstly do you have access to a car to learn to drive in and/or have family and/or friends willing to teach you or spend time in the car with you?
    I learnt to drive just over 3 years ago when I was 21/22 (birthday between the learning and passing) and a big help was when I decided I was going to drive my brother in law was selling his old car.
    It really helped motivate me (I'd invested into it so I was going to pass) and allowed for a lot of cheap/free learning/experience from family.

Before you take any paid for lessons pass your theory test, it stays valid for 2 years. The last thing you want is to be ready for your practical test, but have to wait weeks to take and pass your theory.

Ask around about instructors from people who recently passed and half a chat with the instructor in person before booking any lessons. Soundly silly but if you don't like the instructor or get along with them you don't want to be paying to spend 1h+ with them.
    I would highly advise you book two hour slots as opposed to 1 hour slots. They are slightly cheaper and you get a lot more drive time.
    A lesson will have a 5 to 10 minute brief to start and a 5 minute or so review at the end so in a 1 hour slot its 45 to 50 minutes driving, in a 2 hour slot its 1h 45 to 50 minutes. You get an extra 10 to 15 minutes of driving, so an extra 5 to 8 minutes driving per hour and at a lower hourly rate.

Please make sure you take into account the cost of learning to drive and driving.
    Estimates range from a few hundred to a few thousands to pass your test.
    Once you've passed you have to pay insurance, fuel, road tax and maintenance costs of your car.
    I never noted them them at the time, but I had about 10 (I drove my car everywhere I could when possible) 2h lessons at £45/each and the tests total at around £100 for the two. Thats £550 without including the fuel costs for when I was learning with family in my car.
    My first car (V reg clio) cost £950 and insurance was around the £2k mark, 22 year old male who was learning/only just passed and 0 years no claims.
    Second year the insurance was about the same only with the added expense of £130 road tax and £100 to pass the MOT (a tire, wiper blades and something else small).
    Having said that when I hit 24 the premiums dropped considerably and I bought an i10 which dropped the road tax and fuel costs considerably as well as a lower insurance band .

Don't get me wrong I don't regret learning to drive as it allows me a lot more freedom and its a life skill I can't lose, but it doesn't come cheap.

Edited by: "joedastudd" 7th Jan 2015

b11

Im 31 and I dont drive. Have a local train station 15mins away which is … Im 31 and I dont drive. Have a local train station 15mins away which is 7mins out of Reading, so never really needed it. But decided this year i will look to get on the road. First thing, il get a book or two and some online material. Once i feel competant, them i will learn on the road. Save money and do reading materials first. Then hit the road. My dad is going to help me at first, give me lessons. Then later on il go with an instructor for 5 lessons before doing a test. If you know anyone who can help, go for it. But if its a family member, try practicing on a road area where there is not much traffic....last thing u need is a family member shouting in your face at every mistake!!

I was with you until you said "instructor for 5 lessons before doing a test". How could you possibly know you are only going to need 5 lessons before doing your test before you have even driven a car is beyond me.
    The average number of lessons to pass test your test is 47+ (national average taken from DSA).

"The average number of lessons to pass test your test is 47+ (national average taken from DSA)."

Lol - that's terrible! I never had any lessons - had never even reverse parked when I took my test and passed first time, never looked back. :-)

louisebarker

Thanks guys, I am capable of a lot of things but I don't know what it is … Thanks guys, I am capable of a lot of things but I don't know what it is about driving but as a passenger it all looks so difficult for me to take in! I worry about little things like changing gear. Definitely going to download an app, thanks.

I posted this HERE a while ago but it is still worth looking at.
    Edited by: "FrootLoop" 7th Jan 2015

Original Poster

FrootLoop

I posted this HERE a while ago but it is still worth looking at.

Thanks will take a look this evening.

get someone you know to teach you the basics in an empty car park

i used to go to my local Asda when it was shut and use the junctions marked out to get a 'feel' for driving

i would suggest doing this as much as possible as many times a week as you can, it was invaluable to me and while i was very confident, only had 4 lessons in total before passing(1 of those was the hour before and my actual test)

its all about practice, if you dont have someone who can take you out and help, then lessons it is, it can be costly and some instructors can be absolute cowboys

MIDURIX

I was with you until you said "instructor for 5 lessons before doing a … I was with you until you said "instructor for 5 lessons before doing a test". How could you possibly know you are only going to need 5 lessons before doing your test before you have even driven a car is beyond me.The average number of lessons to pass test your test is 47+ (national average taken from DSA).

YOU MUST HAVE MISSED the part where I said "my dad is going to help me first and give me lessons".
    Have a day off mate!

b11

YOU MUST HAVE MISSED the part where I said "my dad is going to help me … YOU MUST HAVE MISSED the part where I said "my dad is going to help me first and give me lessons".Have a day off mate!

Nope, I didn't actually. If you get a decent instructor they should be able to give you some idea of how many lessons you will need, it's not something you can really have set out ahead. At this point I would say it is impossible for you to know how many lessons you need.

driving instructor. you'll be fine - its easy once you try. besides you dont actually learn how to drive properly until youve passed your test and are out by yourself on the big open road. great little hobbie.

mad2477

driving instructor. you'll be fine - its easy once you try. besides you … driving instructor. you'll be fine - its easy once you try. besides you dont actually learn how to drive properly until youve passed your test and are out by yourself on the big open road. great little hobbie.

I hope that your driving instruction is better than your spelling !! (_;)

Driving is not a " great little hobby ".. it is a life skill.

I'm glad you posted this, i turned 29 last month and occasionally think about learning to drive. I had some lessons when i was 17/18 and drove my mum's car. I wasn't confident with my instructor though and i barely drove my mum's car as she's a bad passenger, or she was anyway.
    My partner gets gout and I'd love to be able to drive if she couldn't but, it's the other numpties on the road who are the problem. I think my partner put me off a bit as she said she wouldn't learn to drive now - as too many numpties on the road and in this area at least, she's right :-(.
    Two things i personally need to do before i start lessons again: renew my provisional licence and go for an eye test, i know i can't see car registration plates at the required distance as i couldn't when i was 17 lol. I just don't need glasses generally so haven't been for an eye test for a while.

bex85

I'm glad you posted this, i turned 29 last month and occasionally think … I'm glad you posted this, i turned 29 last month and occasionally think about learning to drive. I had some lessons when i was 17/18 and drove my mum's car. I wasn't confident with my instructor though and i barely drove my mum's car as she's a bad passenger, or she was anyway. My partner gets gout and I'd love to be able to drive if she couldn't but, it's the other numpties on the road who are the problem. I think my partner put me off a bit as she said she wouldn't learn to drive now - as too many numpties on the road and in this area at least, she's right :-(.Two things i personally need to do before i start lessons again: renew my provisional licence and go for an eye test, i know i can't see car registration plates at the required distance as i couldn't when i was 17 lol. I just don't need glasses generally so haven't been for an eye test for a while.

If you can't read number plates at the required distances a good pair of glasses will really change you world.
    I knew my eyes weren't the best, but when I started fishing and looking into driving I noticed they needed checking. Got my glasses (-1.75) and wow everything looked so much better.

joedastudd

If you can't read number plates at the required distances a good pair of … If you can't read number plates at the required distances a good pair of glasses will really change you world.I knew my eyes weren't the best, but when I started fishing and looking into driving I noticed they needed checking. Got my glasses (-1.75) and wow everything looked so much better.

Yeah last time I did get some glasses I did notice what a difference they made and I ended up wearing them most of the time when I was gaming as well. Think part of the reason I'm thinking of getting my eyes tested again is cos I can't see anyone to shoot in CoD: AW but they always see me - even when they're shooting me I have a hard time seeing them, ghosts on the other hand is fine still.
    Might get it arranged in the next couple of weeks :).

MIDURIX

Nope, I didn't actually. If you get a decent instructor they should be … Nope, I didn't actually. If you get a decent instructor they should be able to give you some idea of how many lessons you will need, it's not something you can really have set out ahead. At this point I would say it is impossible for you to know how many lessons you need.

MIDURIX

Nope, I didn't actually. If you get a decent instructor they should be … Nope, I didn't actually. If you get a decent instructor they should be able to give you some idea of how many lessons you will need, it's not something you can really have set out ahead. At this point I would say it is impossible for you to know how many lessons you need.

.OK - so you think learning from a seasoned driver will get a learner no-where compared to lessons with an instructor?!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky34
      2. £1 O2 Priority Lunch is ending???44
      3. Does anybody have a spare now tv entertainment pass please?36
      4. Help please - pc issues79

See more discussions