need to make cutbacks on our food shop,what family meals do u cook?

Found 23rd Sep 2009
sat down tonight to work out where all our money goes and it seems £900 of it goes on food shopping including nappies toiletries etc
so i want to try budgeting until xmas and am looking for easy cheap meal recipies please,i cook for 7 btw
thanks

76 Comments

Spag bol, Chilli con carné, Jacket potatoes, Tuna Salad wraps...I think thats our staple! lol But they're all pretty cheap to make and in large quantities also!

Corned beef hash.........loads of different recipes for this

I use this one

2 tins of corned beef,4/5 large spuds,2 onions,a few carrots.........cube the corned beef(refrigerate 1st it's easier to cube) cube spuds and slice carrots,chop onions......stick it all in a pot and cover with water.Add 3 oxo cubes and a good splash of worcestershire sauce,bring to the boil and then simmer on low for about an hour.

That should feed your family......good and warming in the winter and have plenty of bread on hand to dip in the soupy gravy:thumbsup:

Original Poster

birdyboyuk;6378542

Spag bol, Chilli con carné, Jacket potatoes, Tuna Salad wraps...I think … Spag bol, Chilli con carné, Jacket potatoes, Tuna Salad wraps...I think thats our staple! lol But they're all pretty cheap to make and in large quantities also!

thanks but kids wont eat spag bol,chilli or jacket spuds and always leave salad :-(
thanks for help though,will leave some rep :thumbsup:

Original Poster

muckypup;6378577

Corned beef hash.........loads of different recipes for thisI use this … Corned beef hash.........loads of different recipes for thisI use this one2 tins of corned beef,4/5 large spuds,2 onions,a few carrots.........cube the corned beef(refrigerate 1st it's easier to cube) cube spuds and slice carrots,chop onions......stick it all in a pot and cover with water.Add 3 oxo cubes and a good splash of worcestershire sauce,bring to the boil and then simmer on low for about an hour.That should feed your family......good and warming in the winter and have plenty of bread on hand to dip in the soupy gravy:thumbsup:

never tried it like that,normally just mash it all up and stick it in oven dish thanks :thumbsup:

Beef stew is my favorite winter meal, have a look here for ideas.... mydish.co.uk/

Banned

edjaned;6378602

thanks but kids wont eat spag bol,chilli or jacket spuds and always leave … thanks but kids wont eat spag bol,chilli or jacket spuds and always leave salad thanks for help though,will leave some rep

I suggest you give them a clip round the ear....my mum ALWAYS made us eat what we were given :x

ungrateful sods!

edjaned;6378602

thanks but kids wont eat spag bol,chilli or jacket spuds and always … thanks but kids wont eat spag bol,chilli or jacket spuds and always leave salad :-(thanks for help though,will leave some rep :thumbsup:

Ah! lol

Tell 'em, if they don't eat it, they'll get nothing else!

Original Poster

snowflake;6378604

Do you have a slow cooker hun? Brilliant for winter months, casseroles, … Do you have a slow cooker hun? Brilliant for winter months, casseroles, stews, (cheaper meat cooked slowly gets better the longer you cook it so yummy) gammon joints all pretty cheap to make and can feed 7 on a budget, used to do this when i had 7 (my 3 and ex hubbys 2 kids) to cook for and 2 adults on a very small budget years ago, potatoes carrots and veg as cheap as possible to bulk out, roast chicken dinners and bubble and squeak next day, or curry with any left over chicken.

yeah i use slow cooker alot,been looking at recipies but some take alot of prep or need loads of ingredients,its a shame alot of recipies dont come with reviews as i would hate to cook a load up for it to be horrible

have you tried shopping for larger quantity packs from costco, mackro makes a big difference when you add them up.

Original Poster

birdyboyuk;6378609

Ah! lolTell 'em, if they don't eat it, they'll get nothing else!

i do tell them that but they just go without they dont seem bothered so i just gave up cooking it plus i got sick of scrubbing the orange spag bol stains of everything :oops:

Original Poster

sarbjeet_;6378612

have you tried shopping for larger quantity packs from costco, mackro … have you tried shopping for larger quantity packs from costco, mackro makes a big difference when you add them up.

no i havent but i should do my OH works for booker cash and carry and gets 10% discount

edjaned;6378627

no i havent but i should do my OH works for booker cash and carry and … no i havent but i should do my OH works for booker cash and carry and gets 10% discount

there you go, even better I used to shop there for my dads shop they had some good deals at times and 10% off even better.:thumbsup:

The kids may eat this on pasta

chop up some bacon,onions and mushrooms(leave out the bacon if you want to go veggie)....lightly fry this mixture until soft and cooked and mix with baked beans.......serve it with pasta twists and you could sprinkle cheese on top too.

It's very tasty and hopefully the kids will like it.

Original Poster

muckypup;6378634

The kids may eat this on pastachop up some bacon,onions and … The kids may eat this on pastachop up some bacon,onions and mushrooms(leave out the bacon if you want to go veggie)....lightly fry this mixture until soft and cooked and mix with baked beans.......serve it with pasta twists and you could sprinkle cheese on top too.It's very tasty and hopefully the kids will like it.

kids love pasta thanks :thumbsup:

I find there are some good ideas here: bbcgoodfood.com/con…at/

Pasta bake, risotto, chilli baked potato, homemade burgers, homemade pizza, veggie sauce with tinned tomatoe base and any other veggies you find in your fridge with plain rice, tortilla with some veggies thrown in, leeks wrapped in ham cooked in a simple cheese sauce...those are some of my budget favourites.

Also, using leftovers is a great way of saving money - for example buy a large chicken and cook a roast on Sunday. Then on Monday have chicken sandwiches for lunch and make a chicken pie for Monday or Tuesday's supper. Or with lamb or beef roast left overs you can mince the meat and make shephards/cottage pie.
For a nice casserole you can use a cheap cut of braising steak, and put it in a slow cooker for deliciously tender meat.

Hi edjaned,
£900 sounds a lot to be spending on food/toiletries etc
Even with a family of 7, its costing you over £100 per week, per person.
Thats a crazy amount ;-) Does it all get eaten?

Maybe i got the math wrong, but you can knock up a decent meal for under £4 a head. often less :thumbsup:

Cottage pie is good one :whistling:

If you really budgeting you could maybe plan your meals on paper on what your going to have,then that way you only buy the food you require,saves wastage.Like plan a week a weeks worth or maybe 2 weeks at most and just shop for those items.
Then get your usual everyday essentials /extras,like breakfast cereal,teabags whatever else you buy,and then you can see what your spending also by roughly adding up what each meals costs.

I think meal times starts to get more expensive when kids are fussy and everyone is having something different,instead of all the same thing,I try and do most days something that we all like.

Egg 'n' chips.

Original Poster

bigflump;6378664

Hi edjaned,£900 sounds a lot to be spending on food/toiletries etcEven … Hi edjaned,£900 sounds a lot to be spending on food/toiletries etcEven with a family of 7, its costing you over £100 per week, per person.Thats a crazy amount ;-) Does it all get eaten?Maybe i got the math wrong, but you can knock up a decent meal for under £4 a head. often less :thumbsup:Cottage pie is good one :whistling:

i have 2 freezers that are quite well stocked and i buy alot of stuff for kids lunch boxes etc
its £900 a month i spend and i have 3 in nappies but 2 of them just at bed times

Original Poster

Mum2Connor&Cerys;6378686

If you really budgeting you could maybe plan your meals on paper on what … If you really budgeting you could maybe plan your meals on paper on what your going to have,then that way you only buy the food you require,saves wastage.Like plan a week a weeks worth or maybe 2 weeks at most and just shop for those items. Then get your usual everyday essentials /extras,like breakfast cereal,teabags whatever else you buy,and then you can see what your spending also by roughly adding up what each meals costs.I think meal times starts to get more expensive when kids are fussy and everyone is having something different,instead of all the same thing,I try and do most days something that we all like.

yeah thats what i try to do i cook stuff we all eat the kids arent keen on veg but will eat it in a casserole or soup etc

edjaned;6378716

i have 2 freezers that are quite well stocked and i buy alot of stuff for … i have 2 freezers that are quite well stocked and i buy alot of stuff for kids lunch boxes etcits £900 a month i spend and i have 3 in nappies but 2 of them just at bed times

I dont know how much nappies cost :oops:
but £900 a month, is well over £100 per person per week.. sounds a awefull lot.

Mum2Connor&Cerys advice is good, plan your meals for the week, and then only buy what you need :thumbsup:

Make your kids sleep on a draining board.
Kerching :thumbsup:

edjaned;6378716

i have 2 freezers that are quite well stocked and i buy alot of stuff for … i have 2 freezers that are quite well stocked and i buy alot of stuff for kids lunch boxes etcits £900 a month i spend and i have 3 in nappies but 2 of them just at bed times

id start with unstocking your freezers
that would save you alot

muckypup;6378577

Corned beef hash.........loads of different recipes for thisI use this … Corned beef hash.........loads of different recipes for thisI use this one2 tins of corned beef,4/5 large spuds,2 onions,a few carrots.........cube the corned beef(refrigerate 1st it's easier to cube) cube spuds and slice carrots,chop onions......stick it all in a pot and cover with water.Add 3 oxo cubes and a good splash of worcestershire sauce,bring to the boil and then simmer on low for about an hour.That should feed your family......good and warming in the winter and have plenty of bread on hand to dip in the soupy gravy:thumbsup:

Pinacilty! north east staple. use a tin of corned beef sliced placed in the base of an oven dish, cover with a layer of thinnly sliced onions, layer of thinly sliced carrotts, layer of frozen peas and 3 layers of thinly sliced potatoes. fill the dish to about 1/2 inch below the potatoes with beef stock (oxo), cover with foil and cook at gm 6 for 45 min, uncover and cook till top layer of potatoes is browned (about 30 min) and serve with all the yorksire puddings you can make.

alternativly beef stew. 1kg of beef shin (about a fiver), 2 onions, 3 carrots, bay leaf and rosemary (only need a small amount, so pack will last for ages), stock, salt and pepper and you're done. veg should be less than £1

EDIT: for 7, better use 2kg beef

edjaned;6378619

i do tell them that but they just go without they dont seem bothered so i … i do tell them that but they just go without they dont seem bothered so i just gave up cooking it plus i got sick of scrubbing the orange spag bol stains of everything :oops:

You would be amazed at what kids will eat if they are really hungry.;-)

Curries are cheap and easy to cook.

So easy, even I can cook, although don't tell my missus.

Meat is sometimes the most expensive ingredient so try to go veggie every few days.I make soup at least once a week it is very cheap (just some veg and stock cubes).Buy some crusty french loaf to go with it.Iceland usually do the part baked kind.You get 4 loaves for #1.00.I also do things like bacon rolls-you get a packet of sausages and quickly brown them,put a little paxo stuffing on top of them and wrap them in bacon.Cook in the oven for a while.

Next time you go to the supermarket,have a budget in mind.Just take that amount with you and just buy enough for that week.Maybe less.Incorporate some of the stuff you have in your freezer.

Also try down grading your food.For example-instead of buying heinz beans buy tesco beans.You will save a few pennies and you might even like them better!And before anyone says 'but heinz are better quality'-who do you think make them?Tesco don't.I know for a fact that McVitities digestive biscuits make the asda,m&s,morrisons and tesco(including value) biscuits.

sweet and sour sauce
2 table spoon vinegar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1and a half tablespoon sugar
1 table spoon cornflour
quarter of a pint of water or pineapple juice or mixture of both
all in saucepan boil untill thickened
add to chicken or pork and rice YUMMY

always plan your meals in advance if on a budget, thats what we do

i write a list of what dinners we have everyday of the week and search the cupboards, if theres anything left over/out of date i dont buy it again

have you tried going to a lower priced brand, ie shops own label?

[url]www.recipezaar.com[/url] - they have reviews with their recipes aswell

how about macaroni cheese... that feeds alot for little money.

What kind of things do you usually cook?

Hi Love

I recommend
Corned beef mash with beans.... ( very cheap to make)
Stew ( you can add tin corned beef instead of meat) I normally add both but the big pot of stew lasts 2 days.
Cottage pie ( you can make a BIG one which lasts 2 days) I also add mint sauce & sage and onion stuffing to give it more flavour) We have this with veg.
Sausage Casserole ( asda do there own smart price sausage casserole jar sauce for like 13p!)
You can do a big pot for about 1.50!!
Pasta Bake -- big bag of cheap pasta, tin tuna, tin sweetcorn, 2 tins tomatoes and mix.
( I now buy the jar sauces for this, works out same)

pcnutta;6379526

Hi LoveI recommend Corned beef mash with beans.... ( very cheap to … Hi LoveI recommend Corned beef mash with beans.... ( very cheap to make)Stew ( you can add tin corned beef instead of meat) I normally add both but the big pot of stew lasts 2 days.Cottage pie ( you can make a BIG one which lasts 2 days) I also add mint sauce & sage and onion stuffing to give it more flavour) We have this with veg.Sausage Casserole ( asda do there own smart price sausage casserole jar sauce for like 13p!)You can do a big pot for about 1.50!!Pasta Bake -- big bag of cheap pasta, tin tuna, tin sweetcorn, 2 tins tomatoes and mix. ( I now buy the jar sauces for this, works out same)

Good tips here. i used to do all of these when mine were all at home. All really filling meals too so they ate less snacks:) Also, I buy all my meat etc when on special price and freeze.

rosie2008;6379562

Good tips here. i used to do all of these when mine were all at home. All … Good tips here. i used to do all of these when mine were all at home. All really filling meals too so they ate less snacks:) Also, I buy all my meat etc when on special price and freeze.

deffo!! friend of mine has spare chest freezer and she goes to asda at night buys loaaaaaaaaads reduced, then puts in in freezer. She saves a fortune! you can go to her house and ask for anything to eat and it will be in her * reduced items* freezer!
she swears by it.

pcnutta;6379576

deffo!! friend of mine has spare chest freezer and she goes to asda at … deffo!! friend of mine has spare chest freezer and she goes to asda at night buys loaaaaaaaaads reduced, then puts in in freezer. She saves a fortune! you can go to her house and ask for anything to eat and it will be in her * reduced items* freezer!she swears by it.

:giggle: i do that too but dont make a special trip,only if I`m passing. My neighbour has a spare freezer in his garage. It`s all full of my stuff:w00t:

omlette is another cheap meal!!
Chuck in some own brand ham and sorted...
(ohh a tip i got whilst on hols in greece) -- add oregano and use cream with eggs to mix.. makes the omlettes delicioussssssssssssssssss

I found this link.. it may help

goodtoknow.co.uk/foo…ner

mine love sausage pasta (normally make my own sauce cook some tomatoes cook some veg stick this in blender add other flavour to how you like it) put sauce over pasta mix in sausages i dont why but kids love it (well sons and their friends)

i made stew last year with mince meat my kids loved it (one of my sons is not keen on meat yet he enjoyed this) works out cheap to

pcnutta;6379526

Sausage Casserole ( asda do there own smart price sausage casserole jar … Sausage Casserole ( asda do there own smart price sausage casserole jar sauce for like 13p!)You can do a big pot for about 1.50!!

Hmmmm, sounds delish, especially if you use Smart Price sausages!! Come and make me some :-D

Ps, What's 'like 13p'. is it £1.13 and you call a pound 'a like'? Or is 14p because 14p is similar to 13p (well, it's only 1p difference anyway) or is it just that you happen to like 13p? Just wondering.

check out gastronomy economy on the BBC

bbc.co.uk/pro…790

set a reasonable weekly limited and stick to it

I buy veg from farm shop 2 bags full around 8 quid, meat from butchers 10 quid, and bit n pieces from super market.

plan your weeks meals and use ingredients from one meal to the next to prevent waste, only buy what is on your shopping list!

netmums.com/foo…66/

ohh and a tip my OHs french family taught me!!

NEVER throw any food out.

They keep ANY left overs and make stuff with it next day!...

eg veg & pots left over - make bubble and squeak or some veg grills, make in burger shape, cover with flour and grill ( add egg to binde)

any meat, they use for sarnies,

anything and everything they keep and WILL make another meal from it.

we do waste alot in general....

Is a lot of the money going on snacks...crisps biscuits etc? If so, stop buying them. You will save money and if there are no snacks available the children might be more keen to eat food they "don't like".
Post a comment
@
    Text