Need to purchase a second-hand PC tower - where?

Found 26th Jan
I need to replace my PC tower (don't need a monitor, keyboard and mouse) that has packed up. I've looked at eBay but was wondering if there is anywhere else on-line that I can purchase one from? I'd need it to be ready to use - ie with Windows 10, wifi, soundcard, around 3GB ram, 320 GB hard drive, etc, but only want to spend up to around £65. Can anybody please suggest any on-line retailers where I could buy one? Thank you.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
17 Comments
Laptops direct
Original Poster
Thank you, I've had a look there but the cheapest PC I can see is nearly £140, a bit more than I wanted to spend.
You can buy a 2nd hand one off ebay for that price but you're probably looking at a dual core 32bit cpu with ddr2 unfortunately.
kester7622 m ago

You can buy a 2nd hand one off ebay for that price but you're probably …You can buy a 2nd hand one off ebay for that price but you're probably looking at a dual core 32bit cpu with ddr2 unfortunately.

Nah, it's easy enough to find Sandy Bridge DDR3 systems for £65 or less, for example:
ebay.co.uk/sch…620
ebay.co.uk/itm…564
EndlessWaves26th Jan

Nah, it's easy enough to find Sandy Bridge DDR3 systems for £65 or less, …Nah, it's easy enough to find Sandy Bridge DDR3 systems for £65 or less, for example:https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Desktops-All-in-Ones/171957/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=G620https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-COMPAQ-8200-ELITE-SFF-INTEL-PENTIUM-G620-2-6GHz-4GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-WIN-10/253387184564

Miss read, thought OP was looking for a replacing tower and wasn't including small form factor PCs
Have you tried your local charity shops?

They have them sometimes.
These is within your price range Click, use the tcb promo to get £2.50 off Click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 27th Jan
Have a look at IJT Direct
I have bought several laptops and desktops from there with no problems.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves22 h, 16 m ago

Nah, it's easy enough to find Sandy Bridge DDR3 systems for £65 or less, …Nah, it's easy enough to find Sandy Bridge DDR3 systems for £65 or less, for example:https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Desktops-All-in-Ones/171957/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=G620https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-COMPAQ-8200-ELITE-SFF-INTEL-PENTIUM-G620-2-6GHz-4GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-WIN-10/253387184564

I've never heard of these type of systems before but have just had a look on eBay. Are these systems any good then? Need one with wireless which seller says can install for a little extra. Also need sound, but I can't see if there is sound available on this one? Thank you.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by those type of systems, most of the ones in my link are standard desktops.

Stereo sound from a 3.5mm jack has been standard on PCs for a long time. I guess the last ones made without it must have been in the 90s, or maybe early 00s. Unless you need a specific connection (S/PDIF, HDMI etc.) or surround sound you can take that for granted.
Original Poster
Thank you for letting me know.
If you want wireless internet get a USB wifi adapter click. If you want dual band then buy something like this click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 27th Jan
Original Poster
RiverDragon835 m ago

If you want wireless internet get a USB wifi adapter click. If you want …If you want wireless internet get a USB wifi adapter click. If you want dual band then buy something like this click.

Thank you, I have now bought a small PC from a seller on eBay and they have said that they will include a small USB wifi adapter free of charge.
Sophiasky1 m ago

Thank you, I have now bought a small PC from a seller on eBay and they …Thank you, I have now bought a small PC from a seller on eBay and they have said that they will include a small USB wifi adapter free of charge.

What was the SFF PC you bought?
Original Poster
Just a small NEC Powermate VL-280, with upgraded RAM and hard drive capacity. It has the features that I wanted - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, audio and Wifi - won't be using it for any gaming, so this one is ideal for my needs.
Be very careful buying used or "refurbished" computers from eBay ... Purchased one a few years ago and I never realised it had keylogging software installed on it ...
Original Poster
virgil4712 h, 6 m ago

Be very careful buying used or "refurbished" computers from eBay ... …Be very careful buying used or "refurbished" computers from eBay ... Purchased one a few years ago and I never realised it had keylogging software installed on it ...

I've never heard about that before, however, this is from a company that sells computers, etc. They have had 248 positive reviews in the past 12 months, and no neutral or negative ones, so hopefully will be ok!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions