Need your collective brains please

Posted 3rd May
hoping someone can help me out with this guy's, I'm trying to find out if there's a word for someone who acquires material things they don't necessarily need or loves to acquire things. I'm not really thinking of the word "hoarder" as that's not quite it. it's not also "materialist". For example we have words for "fear of "or something ending in phobia and "phile" for love of something, for example audiophile
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
HUkd member
35 Comments
Shopaholic ?
Bourgeois or avaricious?
Ha it's not quite but probably still appropriate. I don't think the person in mind actually enjoys shopping but more the end result. Lots of books unread, games unplayed, clothes unworn etc
HUkd member
spiderbifida03/05/2020 23:20

Bourgeois or avaricious?

Neither but I see where you're going with those. Not about decadence as such or greed, just buying stuff they don't need but the act of buying isn't the important bit, it's accumulating stuff
Never satisfied
Hammerheads2903/05/2020 23:26

Neither but I see where you're going with those. Not about decadence as …Neither but I see where you're going with those. Not about decadence as such or greed, just buying stuff they don't need but the act of buying isn't the important bit, it's accumulating stuff

Oniomaniac?
deleted1793489
Consumerist
Just your usual Collector of stuff?
Spendthrift
Unwell...perhaps it's a front for some other issue
The ex
Greedy
If it was food or eating you would be describing a gourmand (someone who enjoys the act of eating) as oposed to a gourmet (a discerning person who enjoys good food). Can't think of a similar for a buyer.
I think this is it! -> Hyperconsumer
Edited by: "jco83" 4th May
If you’re looking for one word OP, I thinks it’s this - Oniomania
Aquisitive.
Ocd obsessive compulsive disorder
ArcadeAssassin04/05/2020 00:04

If you’re looking for one word OP, I thinks it’s this - Oniomania

Aka ‘Compulsive buying disorder’. This is surely the one.
Conasueur
"Materialistic" Predator
Wife!
Kleptomaniac....although this is generally a compulsion to steal small things not buy
Hoarder ?
Millennial ?
Meghan Markle.
Sorry I've not had chance to read and respond to everything but some great responses on this thread keep em coming guys
impulse shopper?
Rich ?
Bored ?
hairycanary03/05/2020 23:24

HUkd member

lol. i often spend time trying to work out what i could possibly do with something that has come up as a deal on the site and i am so tempted but i got no idea what to do with it if i bought it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions