Groups

NEEDED cheapest 3G phone for use as a wifi hotspot

Hey HUKD'ers

As topic title I'm looking for a cheap unlocked/EE mobile for a T-Mobile sim to use as a hotspot as Mifi batteries are just poor compared to a mobile, not fussed about OS Android or Windows - I'm guessing will be the cheapest, anyone seen cheap as chips around ? Missed the EE top up & free Alcatel deal

It needs to be a phone so a elderly person can see it, they struggled with the mifi symbols and the newer mifi screen was too small.

EDIT: SOLVED

20 Comments

So will a mobile if you constantly use hotspot. Best thing to do is to buy a powerbank and find a mifi that can be charged through that.

seaniboy

Hey HUKD'ers As topic title I'm looking for a cheap unlocked/EE … Hey HUKD'ers As topic title I'm looking for a cheap unlocked/EE mobile for a T-Mobile sim to use as a hotspot as Mifi batteries are just poor compared to a mobile, not fussed about OS Android or Windows - I'm guessing will be the cheapest, anyone seen cheap as chips around ? Missed the EE top up & free Alcatel deal

Does this work for you?
    hotukdeals.com/dea…610

there are payg ones on carphonewarehouse. I think you can pick one up for as little as £10 or so.
    all the CPW phones are unlocked (irrespective of being sold with sim)

mifi will last a lot longer than a phone used in wifi hotspot mode.

get a mifi and a small powerbank and you'll be good to go
    Edited by: "eset12345" 16th Jan

Original Poster

tomwatts

So will a mobile if you constantly use hotspot. Best thing to do is to … So will a mobile if you constantly use hotspot. Best thing to do is to buy a powerbank and find a mifi that can be charged through that.

My Sony Xperia SP on 3G lasts much longer than a mifi, but the battery is old and internal so the charge is about a hour, the Mifi unit a Huawei is about 2 hours now.

I have several powerbanks I intend to use with a 3G handset, I find using a mobile for wifi is much better than a Mifi unit for battery life, and its shelf life before low storage kicks in.

Original Poster

raj75

Does this work for … Does this work for you?http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/alcatel-pixi4-4-like-new-cheapest-marshmallow-smartphone-9-99-o2-2574610

Saw that but OOS

It may be worth having a look at this, it does so much more than just a wifi extension.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Original Poster

dwain

It may be worth having a look at this, it does so much more than just a … It may be worth having a look at this, it does so much more than just a wifi extension. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TI3WQJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that would do me, but I need this for a elderly person - should have mentioned that previously lol have now edited my post.

Thanks anyway!

seaniboy

Saw that but OOS

InStock now, I am able to checkout
    O2 website is always playing around. Stock comes in and goes out frequently.

if connected to a powerbank a mifi should last a lot longer, only reason a phone lasts longer is the bigger battery. The way the data works will be different for phone and a mifi as well, a phone will want to be able to make calls so if 4g is low but there is 3g sometimes a phone will switch to 3g whereas a mifi will stick to the best data connection. Also the contracts for each device are different. A 3 phone sim sometimes comes with tethering but wont work in a mifi and a 3 mifi sim wont work in a phone. You probably know about these differences just thought I would share

what about the a normal dongle what are they using the tethering for if it's for a laptop or pc they can just stick it into 1 of the usb slots. u can pick one up for less than 5 pounds in stores like cex and other gadget ships or ebay around 3 quid if they want use it out and about then pick up say a powerbank such as a technet 16750mah off ebay brand new under 15 quid they are decent compared to the fakes that are 12.99 and can be fully charged in 8 hours. that should past 24 hours I don't think they use so uch power no idea about mfi. plus no need keep messing with settings u can just set it up once and that's it.

I've got a 3G dongle thing if you want it, specifically for this purpose, it's smaller than most phones. I'll take a tenner for it.

My Sony Ericsson Elm can do a 3G hotspot and as it's just a feature phone the battery lasts ages, lots of older phones could do it.

Original Poster

raj75

InStock now, I am able to checkoutO2 website is always playing around. … InStock now, I am able to checkoutO2 website is always playing around. Stock comes in and goes out frequently.

I gather people are adding to basket and not completing the sale ?

seaniboy

I gather people are adding to basket and not completing the sale ?

Not sure it could be the reason.
    Anyway, it is instock now.

Original Poster

Bigfootpete

I've got a 3G dongle thing if you want it, specifically for this purpose, … I've got a 3G dongle thing if you want it, specifically for this purpose, it's smaller than most phones. I'll take a tenner for it.

Thanks but got a wifi 3G/4G one, they dont manage that too well either lol

Original Poster

raj75

Not sure it could be the reason.Anyway, it is instock now.

And its gone again lol

Original Poster

dcx_badass

My Sony Ericsson Elm can do a 3G hotspot and as it's just a feature phone … My Sony Ericsson Elm can do a 3G hotspot and as it's just a feature phone the battery lasts ages, lots of older phones could do it.

I was looking for one, I have a Alcatel 2045X but no wifi, feature fones have becoming very limited, whats wrong with a keypad, 4G and wifi/hotspot. Doro does two of them but no wifi.

badasschris

if connected to a powerbank a mifi should last a lot longer, only reason … if connected to a powerbank a mifi should last a lot longer, only reason a phone lasts longer is the bigger battery. The way the data works will be different for phone and a mifi as well, a phone will want to be able to make calls so if 4g is low but there is 3g sometimes a phone will switch to 3g whereas a mifi will stick to the best data connection. Also the contracts for each device are different. A 3 phone sim sometimes comes with tethering but wont work in a mifi and a 3 mifi sim wont work in a phone. You probably know about these differences just thought I would share

The sim is a BEE/T-Mobile, 3G only so if it has 4G it will be locked to 3G only which is better battery life anyway, I'm aware of it all, but someday someone will google and find your post and be informed
    Edited by: "seaniboy" 16th Jan

Original Poster

raj75

Does this work for … Does this work for you?http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/alcatel-pixi4-4-like-new-cheapest-marshmallow-smartphone-9-99-o2-2574610

Raj thanks! After numerous attempts, the order is done

Original Poster

raj75

Raj, just a update - what a great phone, £40 5 years ago didnt buy much of a plastic screen more a carrier bag on a cheap mobile lol. This is perfect, great quality & all set up...for £10/£20 I was expecting very basic but this is not flimsy at all. Many thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047085
      2. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40212
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767181
      4. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…2058

See more discussions