Negotiating car deals / Haggling

Found 15th May
Ive been driving for a couple of years now, Id like to upgrade from my 1.1 206. Main use is a second car for work and clubs, I'm looking at a Fiesta eco, not 100% if 1 litre of something more punchier, but I'm guessing what ever i get is going to be a nipper ride than my current car. Any car tips for haggling ( cash buy) What can i ask for regarding discount, free fuel etc? Should i buy from Ford or another dealer. Ideally id like to stay below £8000 but, well see.
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
16 Comments
Dealers nowadays offer incentives to take out their finance, such as deposit contributions, 'free' servicing etc, but make sure the interest rate is competitive or else this will cancel out any benefit. As they get a kickback from the finance company for selling finance, they're less bothered about cash sales than they used to be. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Use sites such as parkers.co.uk to get a rough idea of the cars value.
Have a look at the prices on motorpoint.co.uk/veh…e=0

These are a car supermarket type business - they don't negotiate on price so generally their screen prices are very competitive. Even if you don't buy from these use their prices to get a decent deal elsewhere.

Basically do a lot of research - know what you want and then have a good look around. Leave your contact details with garages and walk away - if they're keen to sell they'll contact you. Don't worry about missing one particular car as there will always be another one you can find. No need to buy from a Ford dealer - but they are likely to have more stock than other dealers.

Are you looking to trade your existing car in - this is where the garage can make their money on the deal by offering you on the low side. If you can sell your car privately.
Guzzle28 m ago

Dealers nowadays offer incentives to take out their finance, such as …Dealers nowadays offer incentives to take out their finance, such as deposit contributions, 'free' servicing etc, but make sure the interest rate is competitive or else this will cancel out any benefit. As they get a kickback from the finance company for selling finance, they're less bothered about cash sales than they used to be. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Use sites such as parkers.co.uk to get a rough idea of the cars value.

When I bought my Mondeo I took out the finance to get a discount then just paid it off without penalty soon after so the interest rate was irrelevant
tallpete337 h, 43 m ago

When I bought my Mondeo I took out the finance to get a discount then just …When I bought my Mondeo I took out the finance to get a discount then just paid it off without penalty soon after so the interest rate was irrelevant

i was going to comment the same thing. just make sure it's after the dealer gets his incentive as otherwise he might be a bit annoyed. dont think he can do anything legally, though.
Motorpoint is my preferred corner of the shark infested car buying swamp. I've bought 3 and mates have bought there as well. We can all find something we don't like about them but they are so much easier to deal with and, most importantly, the cars are well priced and as free from problems as anything I can see on a forecourt
Research online to establish exact model you want.
Get online quotes from Carwow, Broardspeed, DrivetheDeal plus the others mentioned above.
Approach local dealers and be up front on the target price you want for a car on their finance. Try to buy near the end of the year quarter when they are trying to meet targets. Some flexibility about the exact spec might get you a bargain 'in stock' car that they want to move.
If they can match or better the price buy from them and settle finance.
If not, buy online.
Cash is no longer king. Some dealers will not accept cash payments due to money laundering regulations.

Re. Motorpoint, not sure if this still happens, but you used to have to be careful as they often sold cars that were non-UK spec. Re-Imports from EU countries.

Added:
Sorry I misread the OP. Above is only for new cars. If I was looking at 8k used cars, due to the very high costs of repair, I'd be inclined to get the car from a franchise dealer with full warranty.
Edited by: "airbus330" 16th May
Everyone that I know that bought from dealers say they paid over the odds for car but was happy to do so for peace of mind and the warranty. I find buying privately or at car auction which saves about a third works for me but its a risk. All you can do is go have a look around and online. Look interested if you talk to salesman. If you don't look and act like a buyer then the salesmen won't budge. Tell them you are interested. Tell them what you want. Walk away if you don't get it but be realistic. Good luck
Edited by: "wayners" 16th May
tallpete3319 h, 44 m ago

When I bought my Mondeo I took out the finance to get a discount then just …When I bought my Mondeo I took out the finance to get a discount then just paid it off without penalty soon after so the interest rate was irrelevant

Yes lots of people have done this without issue, but it's worth noting;

If the interest rate is particularly low (e.g. 0%) there is little benefit to paying it off immediately, other than psychological. Therefore I would argue the interest rate is always relevant as it has a bearing on the decisions you take.

If you pay off PCP finance early, you no longer have a guaranteed minimum future value. Not a problem if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a good long while. However some people (e.g. those that plan on changing at the end of the term) find this useful in mitigating the effect of unexpected heavy depreciation.

Not everyone has reserves of cash to pay off finance straight away. It can be beneficial to pay off the car finance with a cheaper loan, but again availability of cheap finance will depend on your individual circumstances.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 16th May
Don't think the of the 1 litre being slow just because it's 1 litre, it replaced the 1.6 and has similar power and torque curve.
wayners10 h, 25 m ago

Everyone that I know that bought from dealers say they paid over the odds …Everyone that I know that bought from dealers say they paid over the odds for car but was happy to do so for peace of mind and the warranty. I find buying privately or at car auction which saves about a third works for me but its a risk. All you can do is go have a look around and online. Look interested if you talk to salesman. If you don't look and act like a buyer then the salesmen won't budge. Tell them you are interested. Tell them what you want. Walk away if you don't get it but be realistic. Good luck

But if you look too interested, that discount gets smaller....
As others have said, research, take your time the balls in your court, and stick to your budget.

Don't tell the garage your budget, simply tell them the size of car your after, Clio,Corsa,Fiesta, if you tell them your prepared to spend £8k then thats what they will aim to sell at.

Never buy on a first visit, always return for a second viewing, along with looking elsewhere, and make sure the salesman knows your looking elsewhere.

Try and time your 2nd/3rd visit on the last week of the month, salesman 'should' be more likely to discount when they have a target to meet.

Never make it look like your in love with a particular car when you see the one you want, comment on the colour not being to your liking or similar, the salesman then has to work, i.e. discount, to sell you the car.
A car dealers would give Ice Cream to people if they never bought a car at the weekend. If the hard sell failed. Folks would drive home with it rather than go look elsewhere for cars because it would melt. It's true and quoted by a sale man that taught sales people how to sell. Made me laugh. He also said the first thing to find out is if a person is buying or a time waster. You should always tell a sales person you are interested in buying or just looking. They can read you anyway so why play silly buggers. If you act clever they will not offer you anything if they pick up a time wasting attitude. Always make your intentions clear and let the dance begin. Walk away if you don't get the deal you want. It's simple on paper but not so easy to do I find
Edited by: "wayners" 16th May
Might be worth considering PCP since you only pay off the depreciation and can trade it in after the term and take out another. Cost depends on mileage largely and car.
MIDURIX8 h, 36 m ago

Don't think the of the 1 litre being slow just because it's 1 litre, it …Don't think the of the 1 litre being slow just because it's 1 litre, it replaced the 1.6 and has similar power and torque curve.

It depends on the exact variant in question. The 1.0 can have anything from 80ps up to 140, with corresponding changes in torque. I think there is also a 65 horsepower variant but that might not have ever been sold in the UK.

Certainly the faster turbocharged variants will be nippier. Whether the 78bhp/105Nm will be an improvement over the Peugeot's 60bhp/92Nm is harder to say, they're sufficiently close that it could be worse in how the power is delivered. Plus the fiesta is around 10% heavier.

But you'll discover that on a test drive.
EndlessWaves9 h, 55 m ago

It depends on the exact variant in question. The 1.0 can have anything …It depends on the exact variant in question. The 1.0 can have anything from 80ps up to 140, with corresponding changes in torque. I think there is also a 65 horsepower variant but that might not have ever been sold in the UK.Certainly the faster turbocharged variants will be nippier. Whether the 78bhp/105Nm will be an improvement over the Peugeot's 60bhp/92Nm is harder to say, they're sufficiently close that it could be worse in how the power is delivered. Plus the fiesta is around 10% heavier. But you'll discover that on a test drive.

The op mentioned eco and the ecoboost ones start at the 98ps, which is the one that mirrors the old 1.6, then the 123ps which is found in the Focus and mirrors the Focus 1.6 and then the 138ps.
I wonder if the lower powered one is just lacking a turbo. Anyway, my point is 1.0 doesn't have to equal slow. Keep hearing it constantly with friend who are looking for a new car and the amount of them who have a 1.2 and say they need something with more power like a 1.6/1.8 and would never consider one of these new engines. I have the 1.0 110ps in my work Fabia and it's lovely.
wayners21 h, 7 m ago

A car dealers would give Ice Cream to people if they never bought a car at …A car dealers would give Ice Cream to people if they never bought a car at the weekend. If the hard sell failed. Folks would drive home with it rather than go look elsewhere for cars because it would melt. It's true and quoted by a sale man that taught sales people how to sell. Made me laugh. He also said the first thing to find out is if a person is buying or a time waster. You should always tell a sales person you are interested in buying or just looking. They can read you anyway so why play silly buggers. If you act clever they will not offer you anything if they pick up a time wasting attitude. Always make your intentions clear and let the dance begin. Walk away if you don't get the deal you want. It's simple on paper but not so easy to do I find

It’s not about playing silly buggers, it’s called keeping something up your sleeve, if a salesman knows your budget they will aim for that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants