Neighbor demanding "good" side of new fence??

Found 8th Jul
Am I alone in thinking it's a damn nerve for my neighbor to telling me the good side of the fence MUST be on his side ?? A fence on my land , that I have paid for....
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If im paying for it, as in its my responsibility to pay for then i would decide which way the fence is facing and not my neighbour
If you're paying tell them to take a flying leap
Paint the good side a shocking pink or even luminous and put it on their side just for spite.
62 Comments
If im paying for it, as in its my responsibility to pay for then i would decide which way the fence is facing and not my neighbour
You can do as you please. If he wants to see the good side then he can buy them off you.

Supposed to be good etiquette to give them the best side
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 8th Jul
deleted1315437
What's the big deal? Its a bloody fence.
If you're paying tell them to take a flying leap
Especially when it's a neighbor who had actively tried to cause friction between us in the past , so I'm amazed at his demand !!
Paint the good side a shocking pink or even luminous and put it on their side just for spite.
Neighbours usually go halves on fences, so for him to be demanding the “good side” and not be contributing a penny, is pretty cheeky! Do what we did and buy really high fences if you dislike ur neighbour
Taylor053 m ago

Especially when it's a neighbor who had actively tried to cause friction …Especially when it's a neighbor who had actively tried to cause friction between us in the past , so I'm amazed at his demand !!

Tell him to pay for it then. I live in a new build and everyone has a good side and a bad side.
I thought it was standard to do it that way as then people can't climb over from the other side.
“Usually if you look down the garden from your house, your fence is on the right and the one to your left belongs to your neighbour but there’s no general rule and may not be the case. It will tell you in your title deeds.

The “good “ and “bad” sides of the fence thing has no legal bearing whatsoever. Good sides of fences were given to neighbours historically out of good will, but at that time, the post positions because of the style of fence used meant that your neighbour lost a couple of inches in places along the length of garden, and the good side compensated for this.

Nowadays, if you provide the fence on your boundary, you are completey entitled to have the good side for yourself.”
Invite him to pay half and have a double sided fence with both of you getting a good side?

If he declines then give him the bad side.
Build a wall.
You can get some tips from DT.
Every fence I had put up is completely on my land. I gave up a few inches to make sure of this, that way neighbours can go do one and put a fence up on their land if they want, I have all good sides. One neighbour said i could take the Bush down. Um no pal. I cut half way into it near the boundary and put fence up to it.
So he still has his Bush - up to him if he wants to take it out and have my fence on show to him.
My neighbour got a new fence around their garden and gave me and the people on the other side of them the “bad” side. They replaced the fence on the right of my garden and I’m pretty sure it’s in my boundary as the post is inline with my outbuilding, but I didn’t care about having the bad side as at the end of the day they gave me a new fence
It used to be the case that you had to put the good side facing your neighbour for fences that you own but that’s not the case anymore unless you have a covenant that states otherwise. You could compromise and have a two good sided fence and ask him for a contribution. Make sure you get the money before you do the work and get the fencer to agree how it will look. Or get the fencer to issue him a separate quote for the extra wood for the good side and if he pays the fencer it gets done and if not he gets a bad side.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Jul
If its his responsibility (it'll be on the deeds) he should have the "good side " that's the law -sorry . If the fence is delapidated , broken etc then it his responsibility to replace it . If you just want a "change of fence " replacing a perfectly good fence then he is entitled to the "good side " end of story .

It doesn't matter who's land it on its the way it faces I'm afraid . If you check your deeds you will find that (for instance ) that the right hand fence (facing back into your back garden ) is your responsibility the other is your neighbours the other side .

Don't give the HUKD community the chance to spout urban myths , unresearched opinions etc - just look at your deeds .
No,it's true.The good side has to go to your neighbour.
Can’t put a price on good neighbours! You can have the most expensive house you want and still have horrid neighbours!
rayanfield838th Jul

“Usually if you look down the garden from your house, your fence is on the …“Usually if you look down the garden from your house, your fence is on the right and the one to your left belongs to your neighbour but there’s no general rule and may not be the case. It will tell you in your title deeds.The “good “ and “bad” sides of the fence thing has no legal bearing whatsoever. Good sides of fences were given to neighbours historically out of good will, but at that time, the post positions because of the style of fence used meant that your neighbour lost a couple of inches in places along the length of garden, and the good side compensated for this.Nowadays, if you provide the fence on your boundary, you are completey entitled to have the good side for yourself.”

Oposite sides,left is yours
ASongOfFireAndIce8 m ago

Can’t put a price on good neighbours! You can have the most expensive h …Can’t put a price on good neighbours! You can have the most expensive house you want and still have horrid neighbours!

Not if you live in the countryside and have no neighbours.
ScubaDudes1 h, 56 m ago

You can do as you please. If he wants to see the good side then he can buy …You can do as you please. If he wants to see the good side then he can buy them off you. (y)Supposed to be good etiquette to give them the best side

Wouldn't want to do that because the neighbour would acquire the land it is erected on.

Tell him to put up his own fence on his land.
Edited by: "melted" 8th Jul
boundary-problems.co.uk/bou…tml

No such thing as neighbour legally having to have the good side, it was done out of etiquette years ago . Fences cost an arm and a leg nowadays, have the side that makes you happy , as long as it's your boundary. Had to get this all checked a couple of years back , we have the good side, and lovely neighbours who were just happy we replaced their fence as they couldn't afford to.
Forgive my ignorance, what is meant by a good/bad side of a fence?

We have a short wall on all 3 sides, so no fences...good or bad!
rogparki54 m ago

If its his responsibility (it'll be on the deeds) he should have the "good …If its his responsibility (it'll be on the deeds) he should have the "good side " that's the law -sorry . If the fence is delapidated , broken etc then it his responsibility to replace it . If you just want a "change of fence " replacing a perfectly good fence then he is entitled to the "good side " end of story . It doesn't matter who's land it on its the way it faces I'm afraid . If you check your deeds you will find that (for instance ) that the right hand fence (facing back into your back garden ) is your responsibility the other is your neighbours the other side .Don't give the HUKD community the chance to spout urban myths , unresearched opinions etc - just look at your deeds .

Just been googling this and i can't find anywhere that its the law so I'm curious now.

Found this helpful article though

Hope you sort it op neighbours can be great or horrible, personally i would do what i wanted if it wasn't breaking the law.
caverncity2 h, 13 m ago

Paint the good side a shocking pink or even luminous and put it on their …Paint the good side a shocking pink or even luminous and put it on their side just for spite.

That would cost money and effort. Words are free.
Glad I have a good neighbour ..
We have a new build house. As we look down the garden away from the house the left and back borders are ours and we have the good side.

Right hand side is the neighbours responsibility and we have the bad side.
Gollywood24 m ago

Forgive my ignorance, what is meant by a good/bad side of a fence?We have …Forgive my ignorance, what is meant by a good/bad side of a fence?We have a short wall on all 3 sides, so no fences...good or bad!

Where the posts are (on lap fencing ) is the "bad side " and this will tell you whose responsibility it is to maintain /replace the fence , will also be shown by little arrowheads on your deeds . So if "your fence" blows down you pay for it and the exposed posts are on the neighbours side . If the fence is blown down on the other side of your garden *Your neighbours fence " they replace it and you have the "bad side" that is the posts on your side .

Go into any garden with lap wooden fencing you will see one side has posts showing (their fence ) the other side has no posts showing (your fence ) .

Hardly matters these days as most fence panels are fitted between the posts -so just a small history lesson from the days fence panels were nailed onto the posts one side or the other .
Edited by: "rogparki" 8th Jul
Do what you want, it's your land and fence.

He can't force you to do anything.

Sounds like you live next to a bit of a knob, so 100% give him the "bad" side anyway..

If only to teach him that you don't always get what you want, the parents obviously missed that part out of their upbringing.
paul100510 m ago

We have a new build house. As we look down the garden away from the house …We have a new build house. As we look down the garden away from the house the left and back borders are ours and we have the good side.Right hand side is the neighbours responsibility and we have the bad side.

Ours is the same but when asked when I bought it they said the responsibility for both fences was shared. Fair chance I'll have moved before the fence falls down. It's pretty sturdy
You could always do it with concrete barge boards and fence panels. That way there are two good sides
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

Fair chance I'll have moved before the fence falls down. It's pretty sturdy

You obviously didnt buy from Taylor Wimpey
Ours is 4 years old now, originally looked really solid but now 1 "panel" has a distinct bow, and there are gaps around each post where the slats have moved and shrunk slightly. Luckily our 2 sides look ok, its just the right hand side that looks like it only has a few more years left.
rogparki1 h, 30 m ago

If its his responsibility (it'll be on the deeds) he should have the "good …If its his responsibility (it'll be on the deeds) he should have the "good side " that's the law -sorry . If the fence is delapidated , broken etc then it his responsibility to replace it . If you just want a "change of fence " replacing a perfectly good fence then he is entitled to the "good side " end of story . It doesn't matter who's land it on its the way it faces I'm afraid . If you check your deeds you will find that (for instance ) that the right hand fence (facing back into your back garden ) is your responsibility the other is your neighbours the other side .Don't give the HUKD community the chance to spout urban myths , unresearched opinions etc - just look at your deeds .

The fence was in a bad way , it is "our side " according to the deeds bit makes no mention of which side someone should have . They're fence on the other side is with the "good side " on their side , which we pointed out to them!
paul10055 m ago

You obviously didnt buy from Taylor Wimpey Ours is 4 years old now, …You obviously didnt buy from Taylor Wimpey Ours is 4 years old now, originally looked really solid but now 1 "panel" has a distinct bow, and there are gaps around each post where the slats have moved and shrunk slightly. Luckily our 2 sides look ok, its just the right hand side that looks like it only has a few more years left.

Mine's a persimmon. House is nearly three years old and so far it is solid. One we had in the last house was like balsa wood.
Taylor054 m ago

The fence was in a bad way , it is "our side " according to the deeds bit …The fence was in a bad way , it is "our side " according to the deeds bit makes no mention of which side someone should have . They're fence on the other side is with the "good side " on their side , which we pointed out to them!

Unless it is written in the deeds, tell them to swing for it unless they're going to pay.
Good side to your neighbours or at least replace it like for like so if they have the good side replace it like that.
Gollywood50 m ago

Forgive my ignorance, what is meant by a good/bad side of a fence?We have …Forgive my ignorance, what is meant by a good/bad side of a fence?We have a short wall on all 3 sides, so no fences...good or bad!

34288139-t6dJv.jpgthis is my back garden when I moved in. Left hand side and back are good side, right hand side is bad side. See the difference?
psychobitchfromhell1 m ago

[Image] this is my back garden when I moved in. Left hand side and back …[Image] this is my back garden when I moved in. Left hand side and back are good side, right hand side is bad side. See the difference?

Many thanks. I've learned something today!
Taylor058 m ago

The fence was in a bad way , it is "our side " according to the deeds bit …The fence was in a bad way , it is "our side " according to the deeds bit makes no mention of which side someone should have . They're fence on the other side is with the "good side " on their side , which we pointed out to them!

Then if its your fence according to the deeds you can have the "good" side simple - no argument . Just politely show him the little arrowheads on the deeds , should hopefully end the misapprehension . Next problem - you want your side painted green they want their side painted red . Anyone ever tried to spray / paint a lap panel fence different colours on each side ? It just doesn't work -it leeches and the result isn't pretty on either side
Gollywood2 m ago

Many thanks. I've learned something today!

You'll be glad to know the garden looks better now. Every day's a school day on HUKD
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions