Neighbour - dead trees - refusing to cut down

Posted 19th Oct
Hi, any help appreciated.
Our next door neighbour once lined his boundary with trees. Now most (about 5) are now dead.
The problem is they are between 5-8 metres high and after numerous requests to him to cut down for safety reasons they still stand.
Is there anything we can do? - I'm sure he's leaving in the hope we pay out!
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
You can remove anything that hangs over your property - just make sure you offer him the stuff you cut off, including any fruit. You cannot remove his trees. My first call would be to the council - they will, if they can't help you, tell you what to do next. You won't be the first to be in this situation.
My neighbor's planted these stupid trees/plants on the back of my new fence , they started growing over fence into my garden. So sprayed them with stupidly strong weed killer from Amazon. 3 weeks later no trees/plants/climbers left , all dead .
yozzman123420/10/2019 00:09

My neighbor's planted these stupid trees/plants on the back of my new …My neighbor's planted these stupid trees/plants on the back of my new fence , they started growing over fence into my garden. So sprayed them with stupidly strong weed killer from Amazon. 3 weeks later no trees/plants/climbers left , all dead .

What is the name of that weedkiller?
It's on Amazon, around £27 for 2.5 L . You need to wear gloves and a mask . It's got some chemical name. You will find it
tregs20/10/2019 00:18

What is the name of that weedkiller?

Elixir Gardens Barclay Gallup Home & Garden Glyphosate Commercial Strength Weed killer treats upto 3332 sq/m 2Lt Bottle + Complimentary Measuring Cup and Gloves Prime amazon.co.uk/dp/…VG5
yozzman123420/10/2019 00:22

Elixir Gardens Barclay Gallup Home & Garden Glyphosate Commercial Strength …Elixir Gardens Barclay Gallup Home & Garden Glyphosate Commercial Strength Weed killer treats upto 3332 sq/m 2Lt Bottle + Complimentary Measuring Cup and Gloves Prime https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071GVC33M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7P5QDbEKVFVG5

I have the Gallup 490, which is stronger than that. Yes, it kills plants, but it is a slow weed killer as it kills from the roots. It would take much longer to kill trees than 3 weeks.
Edited by: "tregs" 20th Oct
Pu up a cctv camera looking straight into his living room, but looking at the trees too.
If he complains, say it's for video evidence when the trees damage yoyr property
By spraying the trees with weed killer you have committed criminal damage to his property. You only have a right to cut off anything that hangs over your property, nothing more.

As for him removing the dead stuff, unless it’s leaning and near a road that’s between you and him to resolve .i.e a civil matter.

I’m sure he’s waiting for you to kick off about it so he can present his evidence that you killed his trees.
Put up massive wall, job done.
I live in a semi detached on the corner of my street. The neighbour to my right in the next street cut a tree down in my front garden without my permission, she said it blocked the sun from her garden. My immediate neighbour to my left cut down the tree in my back garden. Both done while I was away with work. To say I was surprised was an understatement.
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 20th Oct
What evidence is there that the trees are dangerous? Have some already fallen over?
STRICKIBHOY20/10/2019 09:15

I live in a semi detached on the corner of my street. The neighbour to my …I live in a semi detached on the corner of my street. The neighbour to my right in the next street cut a tree down in my front garden without my permission, she said it blocked the sun from her garden. My immediate neighbour to my left cut down the tree in my back garden. Both done while I was away with work. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

I hope you reported both for criminal damage (and theft if they took them away)
The typical ignorant person: eating, defecating and copulating; there is NO NEED for more ...excepting for a large TV and a fancier car than his neighbor. Building a 2m fence around his patch of grass then cutting the trees because "there is not enough sun getting into their houses" OR because "he has to pay for pruning" them. In the last 6 months I had to see both examples on the street where I live.

There is no idea of general beauty of the place for some people. Why should it be ? when you can spend most of the time gazing at your television or siting inside your personal grass-patch prison.
Drill a hole in the trunk and pour diesel in. You'll thank me but your most welcome
harlzter20/10/2019 11:56

I hope you reported both for criminal damage (and theft if they took them …I hope you reported both for criminal damage (and theft if they took them away)

No, but they know now not to take advantage of me being away and nothing is done without my permission.
Cut them down .. your neighbours that is .. then do what you want to the trees!
they might not have the money to sort it out, offer half if it bothers you. if not the trees in thier garden nothing you can do....
Bandicoot20/10/2019 12:35

Drill a hole in the trunk and pour diesel in. You'll thank me but your …Drill a hole in the trunk and pour diesel in. You'll thank me but your most welcome

Did you miss the part in the title that mentioned they was DEAD trees, unless there are some zombie trees whose kryptonite is diesel it wont do much.
We have a similar issue with my neighbours cherry tree.. it's a tall as our house and 70% i'd say hangs over into our garden - During the summer most of the light is blocked into our garden and during the autumn all the leaves land in our garden!

During the recent bout of windy weather the branches have pulled the BT cable off the wall near the guttering so now hanging loosely.

My home is a private rented house so I don't know what to do about it??
arcangel11122/10/2019 12:37

We have a similar issue with my neighbours cherry tree.. it's a tall as …We have a similar issue with my neighbours cherry tree.. it's a tall as our house and 70% i'd say hangs over into our garden

Without knowing whether your house is a low ceiling'd cottage or bungalow or a three story georgian town house your description doesn't provide any idea of the scale of the tree.

Any part of the tree on your side of the boundary between the properties can be cut off.

Generally you'd need to consult the lease agreement or talk to your landlord regarding the rights and responsibilities for gardening between you and him.

If the tree is big enough to need more than a 3m pole saw/tree lopper or a normal house ladder to tackle it then you're likely talking about a professional job and the responsibility for it is more likely to be with the landlord.
arcangel11122/10/2019 12:37

We have a similar issue with my neighbours cherry tree.. it's a tall as …We have a similar issue with my neighbours cherry tree.. it's a tall as our house and 70% i'd say hangs over into our garden - During the summer most of the light is blocked into our garden and during the autumn all the leaves land in our garden!During the recent bout of windy weather the branches have pulled the BT cable off the wall near the guttering so now hanging loosely.My home is a private rented house so I don't know what to do about it??

Try your house insurance, they'll want to claim off the neighbour if any damage is caused
EndlessWaves22/10/2019 13:02

Without knowing whether your house is a low ceiling'd cottage or bungalow …Without knowing whether your house is a low ceiling'd cottage or bungalow or a three story georgian town house your description doesn't provide any idea of the scale of the tree.Any part of the tree on your side of the boundary between the properties can be cut off. Generally you'd need to consult the lease agreement or talk to your landlord regarding the rights and responsibilities for gardening between you and him. If the tree is big enough to need more than a 3m pole saw/tree lopper or a normal house ladder to tackle it then you're likely talking about a professional job and the responsibility for it is more likely to be with the landlord.

Normal 2 storey mid terrace house (1970's not victorian terrace)
esar22/10/2019 13:28

Try your house insurance, they'll want to claim off the neighbour if any …Try your house insurance, they'll want to claim off the neighbour if any damage is caused

again we are private renting so it would be landlord home insurance not my contents only.. but thanks for your advice (you too @EndlessWaves )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants