Neighbour dented my parked car and not knocked door

Posted 24th Nov
My neighbour reversed out her garage wrongly and hit my car on the side by the opening of the drivers door, the blue colour is rather old and nobody else could get to the side of my car to hit it. She hasnt called to say it was her and is hiding her car back in her garage. Its a small size dent but her blue paint doesnt rub off. What are my options as dont want to claim on my insurance as will lost NCB? Police wont be interested for sure where I live. Shes twice the size of me so bit scared to go knock on her door and I am alone.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Knock her door and ask her. Be polite and say you noted her car had crashed into yours. The space was tight so you understand. Your preference is to sort without insurance does she agree, and say you don’t expect it to cost more than £120 (who cares, small numbers will soothe her, the real number is what it is). If she kicks off, don’t get into it, leave and immediately report to the police in person. The police can be quite reasonable. Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal I think. A short visit from them will resolve this I’m sure.

Be brave, if she’s just big with a conscience she’ll be embarrassed into doing the right thing. Try not to focus on prejudging her behaviour you are in the right here.
20 Comments
Knock her door and ask her. Be polite and say you noted her car had crashed into yours. The space was tight so you understand. Your preference is to sort without insurance does she agree, and say you don’t expect it to cost more than £120 (who cares, small numbers will soothe her, the real number is what it is). If she kicks off, don’t get into it, leave and immediately report to the police in person. The police can be quite reasonable. Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal I think. A short visit from them will resolve this I’m sure.

Be brave, if she’s just big with a conscience she’ll be embarrassed into doing the right thing. Try not to focus on prejudging her behaviour you are in the right here.
Be careful, if you have no evidence (and your post is very speculative), it may not have been her. I have a private drive, no one comes near it, but I noticed a ding in the drivers side door of my 2mth old car when I was cleaning it. Clearly it was hit by some scumbag in a car park, but I’d not noticed it until then. If I had been in your situation, I would also assume it was the neighbour, but we all know what assumption does. May be better to mention it in a very non accusing manner and if it’s denied, accept that you’ll be picking up the bill and either get used to the dent, try some T-cut to get the paint off or get it fixed, there are Groupons from time to time for dent repairs.
Any neighbours have cctv that may have caught the incident and could check for you?
Just ask ' did you park on my drive by accident the other day casually' with a smile. If she says yes then say I noticed a dent and blue paint. If she says no then I suggest you make sure your 100% sure that she did before accusing. Your post doesn't sound to sure.
I scratched my car a few weeks ago, and didn't even know I'd done it until aftet I'd been out shopping and returned to the car (it was hot and the air con was blasting)
Could your neighbour be the same?
might be worth investing in a c CTV camera or dashcam with parking mode
With your nervous disposition, the fact you have no proof, the fact you have to live next door to them I would have a good think about it
Might be best just to pay for it yourself
Me I’d confront them but that’s me
Sometimes it’s not worth the hassle if you know your neighbour could cause you issues in the long term. Maybe get a dash cam that can record when parked. As without proof or having actually seen it, it’s going to be your word against theirs. The police won’t be able to help when there was no witnesses/cctv. I had the same thing a few years ago, was so proud of my new car, and neighbour reversed into space ahead of me and swiped the front. His van had marks on it, but I hadn’t seen it. Just got to hope karma comes around.
Edited by: "choccie32" 24th Nov
Have you a picture of the dent, might be easily fixable?
B and q sell nitromors it’s a paint stripper wait till the dead of night and then squirt it all over her car
choccie3224/11/2019 13:35

Sometimes it’s not worth the hassle if you know your neighbour could cause …Sometimes it’s not worth the hassle if you know your neighbour could cause you issues in the long term. Maybe get a dash cam that can record when parked. As without proof or having actually seen it, it’s going to be your word against theirs. The police won’t be able to help when there was no witnesses/cctv. I had the same thing a few years ago, was so proud of my new car, and neighbour reversed into space ahead of me and swiped the front. His van had marks on it, but I hadn’t seen it. Just got to hope karma comes around.

They wouldn't help for a small dent on a car door anyway I don't think
MR112324/11/2019 12:50

Just ask ' did you park on my drive by accident the other day casually' …Just ask ' did you park on my drive by accident the other day casually' with a smile. If she says yes then say I noticed a dent and blue paint. If she says no then I suggest you make sure your 100% sure that she did before accusing. Your post doesn't sound to sure.

If the damage/collision/accident took place on a private drive or road then it is non reportable and there are no obligations on either driver under the Road Traffic Act. Police will not become involved. TBH unlikely they will become involved for such a minor piece of damage anyway.
The marks and dent were not on the door when I left the car there. I have seen her come of that garage before and wondered why she doesnt hit someone! Its the only blue car in the road and its only if she was coming out of her garage that it could have been hit. She normally parks the blue car outside her garage and she drives a black car as well. Since my dent her blue car has been locked in the garage so I cant even check her car for marks.
I hit a neighbour a few months back but went and declared it but she didnt care as the car was in rough condition and its been scrapped now. I really hope karma gets her and she ends up losing both the cars shes not fit to drive. Why does some need two cars when she has real trouble parking in her own garage and the space outside the garage.
Copperface24/11/2019 19:13

If the damage/collision/accident took place on a private drive or road …If the damage/collision/accident took place on a private drive or road then it is non reportable and there are no obligations on either driver under the Road Traffic Act. Police will not become involved. TBH unlikely they will become involved for such a minor piece of damage anyway.

Her car was in her garage and she drove it out. My car was in a parking space at the side her garage in a little slip road (3 car park spaces there).
snoopy1824/11/2019 13:06

With your nervous disposition, the fact you have no proof, the fact you …With your nervous disposition, the fact you have no proof, the fact you have to live next door to them I would have a good think about it Might be best just to pay for it yourself Me I’d confront them but that’s me

I agree that there are many a time I wish I had a man around the house.
googley224/11/2019 19:44

The marks and dent were not on the door when I left the car there. I have …The marks and dent were not on the door when I left the car there. I have seen her come of that garage before and wondered why she doesnt hit someone! Its the only blue car in the road and its only if she was coming out of her garage that it could have been hit. She normally parks the blue car outside her garage and she drives a black car as well. Since my dent her blue car has been locked in the garage so I cant even check her car for marks.I hit a neighbour a few months back but went and declared it but she didnt care as the car was in rough condition and its been scrapped now. I really hope karma gets her and she ends up losing both the cars shes not fit to drive. Why does some need two cars when she has real trouble parking in her own garage and the space outside the garage.

Well in that case the money you would’ve had to spend repairing your neighbours car when you did similar can be used to do the minor repair on yours.
Copperface24/11/2019 19:13

If the damage/collision/accident took place on a private drive or road …If the damage/collision/accident took place on a private drive or road then it is non reportable and there are no obligations on either driver under the Road Traffic Act. Police will not become involved. TBH unlikely they will become involved for such a minor piece of damage anyway.

They won't become involved even if it were public road.
Been out the country for a few weeks. Was nice. Got back and within 20 minutes of being back at the airport I realised what a selfish arrogant and stupid nation we have become.

This sort of behaviour is now the norm.

Everytime I see something like this since I’ve got back I say “Welcome to England”

so....

Welcome to England

Broken Britain.

can only see selfish self serving behaviour get worse in the next few months especially
MR112324/11/2019 20:30

They won't become involved even if it were public road.

No, they wouldn’t, sadly.

My neighbour over the road hit my car on the rear as she ‘ducked’ in to let another passing vehicle through. My next door neighbour (and a visitor she had) saw the whole thing. It was Boxing Day and you would of thought she would of knocked and let me know - but alas, that never happened. It was the witness who told me the next day in passing (she too thought the offender would of knocked!).
I outright confronted her, after seeing her bumper was held on by silver (gaffer?) tape. She denied it, then admitted it, then refused to pay the bill which I got independently after the work was done (£600). Contacted the police, who managed to find a different neighbour with CCTV of the whole thing. Short ending - Police said not enough evidence apparently! And if I wanted to take it further, could go through small claims to recoup the funds.
Its your neighbour. Youre gonna have to face em on a regular basis. IF it was her, then she knows and will prob not be able to look you in the eye without guilt pangs (everyone has a conscience) but... to be honest.. id ask her very politely prob saying to her that someone saw it happen and go from there depending on her response.. IF it was them, they may admit and offer a little something (if anything) to cover costs. If it was her... shell know that you know and thats a good thing. If however, it wasnt her - then count your losses and move on. Its not worth a lifetime of upset relations with someone you have to live in close proximity to.

Also, get a decent cctv. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants