Neighbour dispute - what action can i take

Posted 24th Feb
Hi folks,

I live in a semi detached property and have done for the past 6 years. Never had an issue until 6 months ago when new tenants moved in. The neighbours back garden is about 1ft higher than mine, it is full of rubbish, e.g. takeaway boxes, empty milk cartons etc. They never clean it.

When its windy a lot of the rubbish comes across over to my garden and then i have to sort it out. This weekend their trampoline ended up in my garden which they didn't remove for over 24hrs. This in the process took down my washing line pole.

Its come to a point where i've had enough. I made a complaint with the council 2-3 weeks ago but no one has got in touch. Every time i ring all they say is someone will be in touch.

Is there anything else I can do? I can't afford a fence at this moment in time

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
It never ceases to amaze me how 'certain' people think things are perfectly acceptable and "not a problem" - which says more about how they live than anything.

If ANYTHING of mine ended up in my neighbours garden/property - I would retrieve it ASAP and give them an apology too. It's just manners, at the end of the day. In the OP's case, warranted even more so if any obvious damage/disruption is done. It's still an inconvenience to the homeowner that wasn't planned. Yes, it's an accident but that's not an excuse for ignorance.

These are the same people who would say when a child's ball goes through a greenhouse: "Well, it's ONLY a bit of glass innit?"

*Sigh*
Tell the council you have seen rats in the garden with all the rubbish / food waste... its likley to accelerate the complaint.
myusernamehasgone23424/02/2020 12:06

I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas are forever blowing …I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas are forever blowing over into my garden in the summer sometimes it takes them a few days to come around and retrieve them if I haven’t had time to run them back around myself. They never apologise and I don’t expect them too as it’snot a big issue. It’s the wind they can’t really help it. Its just not a big issue to me I have more pressing things to concern myself with.

I've got three kiddies next door to me and sometimes their balls come over, but, they knock on the door and ask politely if they can have their ball back, that's because they've been brought up with manners, just like I was.

If something of mine blew into another neighbours garden, which it couldn't because I've nothing that blows about, but if I had, I'd go and retrieve it and apologise at the same time.

Having kids is no excuse not to have manners.
666FU24/02/2020 11:45

I forgot you mentioned the wash line, must have terrible not having the …I forgot you mentioned the wash line, must have terrible not having the use of your wash line at this time of year. I imagine she doesn't work with 5 young children so probably paid for with benefits.

Thank you for your valuable input
88 Comments
Keep ringing the council and when you see the landlord coming for rent tell him/her.
If it was on for rent by letting agent then ring them up. Next time keep details of the above when a new tenant arrives

I spose all you can do is pray they move out after their 12 month contract as most do
Misslovely24/02/2020 09:48

Keep ringing the council and when you see the landlord coming for rent …Keep ringing the council and when you see the landlord coming for rent tell him/her. If it was on for rent by letting agent then ring them up. Next time keep details of the above when a new tenant arrives I spose all you can do is pray they move out after their 12 month contract as most do

I've never seen the owner of the property. Its all done through a letting agency. I guess I could give them a call and see what they say
Slightly puzzled? When the neighbours DID eventually come and remove the trampoline - would it not have been prudent to politely comment about the amount of rubbish with them? If you've gone to the council straight off the bat, that isn't good grounds for neighbourly harmony. I take it you don't wish to speak to them directly?

I do know where you are coming from though. A few years ago, I had some Turkish neighbours. Long story short, a good storm took down the neighbours fence onto my lawn. Three days later, it still laid there so I went out and manhandled it all back onto their side/property. A month (or two) later, it still all laid there and the lawn was brown-bread! It must have laid there nearly three months before he eventually cleared it up...
Phsycronix24/02/2020 10:29

Slightly puzzled? When the neighbours DID eventually come and remove the …Slightly puzzled? When the neighbours DID eventually come and remove the trampoline - would it not have been prudent to politely comment about the amount of rubbish with them? If you've gone to the council straight off the bat, that isn't good grounds for neighbourly harmony. I take it you don't wish to speak to them directly?I do know where you are coming from though. A few years ago, I had some Turkish neighbours. Long story short, a good storm took down the neighbours fence onto my lawn. Three days later, it still laid there so I went out and manhandled it all back onto their side/property. A month (or two) later, it still all laid there and the lawn was brown-bread! It must have laid there nearly three months before he eventually cleared it up...

I wasn't in when they removed it. I spoke to them once a couple months ago about this issue and they seemed very annoyed at that time but they don't seem to care as they don't own the property
Edited by: "DevilsReaper" 24th Feb
Tell the council you have seen rats in the garden with all the rubbish / food waste... its likley to accelerate the complaint.
Is the fence on the right or left ?
Quick fix would be chicken wire fence.
w1nd24/02/2020 10:44

Tell the council you have seen rats in the garden with all the rubbish / …Tell the council you have seen rats in the garden with all the rubbish / food waste... its likley to accelerate the complaint.

That is a good idea. Thanks
zworld24/02/2020 10:44

Is the fence on the right or left ?Quick fix would be chicken wire fence.

That would stop the majority of rubbish coming over but it would make my garden look tacky too
DevilsReaper24/02/2020 10:40

I wasn't in when they removed it. I have spoken to them once a few months …I wasn't in when they removed it. I have spoken to them once a few months ago but they don't seem to care as they don't own the property I wasn't in when they removed it. I spoke to them once a couple months ago about this issue and they seemed very annoyed at that time but they don't seem to care as they don't own the property

That's a shame, DR. I feel for you. It sucks to have neighbours who just don't care. I guess you'll just have to do what you are doing if you don't fancy a polite 'chat' to explain that all the rubbish is attracting vermin and you'd rather not have to bring in the council.

Good luck getting something sorted.

Regards, Phsy.
It's not a cannabis house is it?
esar24/02/2020 10:56

It's not a cannabis house is it?

Definitely not a cannabis house. Its a single mum with about 5 kids under 10 years old.
So there is no fence/barrier between the two gardens? How do you stop the 5 kids from wandering into your garden?

And is a trampoline being in your garden for 24 hours really a big deal? Where you planning a BBQ? What if she had gone away for the weekend, would you have expected her to rush back and remove it?
DevilsReaper24/02/2020 11:03

Definitely not a cannabis house. Its a single mum with about 5 kids under …Definitely not a cannabis house. Its a single mum with about 5 kids under 10 years old.

Probably got her hands full with all the youngsters no wonder it took her a short while to come and collect the trampoline.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 24th Feb
666FU24/02/2020 11:16

So there is no fence/barrier between the two gardens? How do you stop the …So there is no fence/barrier between the two gardens? How do you stop the 5 kids from wandering into your garden? And is a trampoline being in your garden for 24 hours really a big deal? Where you planning a BBQ? What if she had gone away for the weekend, would you have expected her to rush back and remove it?

Nope there isn't and never needed one till they moved in. I can't stop them coming into my garden.

Yes its a big deal, as I mentioned it took down the washing line and also could have damaged the greenhouse. They were definitely in as I could hear music.
I once lived in a bungalow, the neighbours garden tree was out of control to the point the branches tapped the roof above our bedroom repeatedly during the night any time it was windy. Got sick of being kept awake and complained to neighbours, they did jack all about it so I jumped over the wall one day when they were out and cut the ******* things down. They never said a word to me about it. Sometimes you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 24th Feb
Op, who’s responsible for the border, if it’s you and I lived next door you would be buying a fence. Otherwise my dogs would be pooping all over your lawn
joeydeacon24/02/2020 11:38

I once lived in a bungalow, the neighbours garden tree was out of control …I once lived in a bungalow, the neighbours garden tree was out of control to the point the branches tapped the roof above our bedroom repeatedly during the night any time it was windy. Got sick of being kept awake and complained to neighbours, they did jack all about it so I jumped over the wall one day when they were out and cut the ******* things down. They never said a word to me about it. Sometimes you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do.

I can imagine that being really annoying, you did the right thing. Unfortunately, i can't go clean the neighbours garden. Think I will just have to wait for the council to get in touch
Oh geez! - 5 children - under 10 - trampoline.

Now I REALLY feel for you...

They be like:

39972564-rEQCn.jpg
You be like:
39972564-JPpwb.jpg
DevilsReaper24/02/2020 11:32

Nope there isn't and never needed one till they moved in. I can't stop …Nope there isn't and never needed one till they moved in. I can't stop them coming into my garden. Yes its a big deal, as I mentioned it took down the washing line and also could have damaged the greenhouse. They were definitely in as I could hear music.

I forgot you mentioned the wash line, must have terrible not having the use of your wash line at this time of year.

I imagine she doesn't work with 5 young children so probably paid for with benefits.
666FU24/02/2020 11:45

I forgot you mentioned the wash line, must have terrible not having the …I forgot you mentioned the wash line, must have terrible not having the use of your wash line at this time of year. I imagine she doesn't work with 5 young children so probably paid for with benefits.

Thank you for your valuable input
It never ceases to amaze me how 'certain' people think things are perfectly acceptable and "not a problem" - which says more about how they live than anything.

If ANYTHING of mine ended up in my neighbours garden/property - I would retrieve it ASAP and give them an apology too. It's just manners, at the end of the day. In the OP's case, warranted even more so if any obvious damage/disruption is done. It's still an inconvenience to the homeowner that wasn't planned. Yes, it's an accident but that's not an excuse for ignorance.

These are the same people who would say when a child's ball goes through a greenhouse: "Well, it's ONLY a bit of glass innit?"

*Sigh*
Phsycronix24/02/2020 11:56

It never ceases to amaze me how 'certain' people think things are …It never ceases to amaze me how 'certain' people think things are perfectly acceptable and "not a problem" - which says more about how they live than anything.If ANYTHING of mine ended up in my neighbours garden/property - I would retrieve it ASAP and give them an apology too. It's just manners, at the end of the day. In the OP's case, warranted even more so if any obvious damage/disruption is done. It's still an inconvenience to the homeowner that wasn't planned. Yes, it's an accident but that's not an excuse for ignorance.These are the same people who would say when a child's ball goes through a greenhouse: "Well, it's ONLY a bit of glass innit?"*Sigh*

I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas are forever blowing over into my garden in the summer sometimes it takes them a few days to come around and retrieve them if I haven’t had time to run them back around myself. They never apologise and I don’t expect them too as it’snot a big issue. It’s the wind they can’t really help it.

Its just not a big issue to me I have more pressing things to concern myself with.
Phsycronix24/02/2020 11:56

It never ceases to amaze me how 'certain' people think things are …It never ceases to amaze me how 'certain' people think things are perfectly acceptable and "not a problem" - which says more about how they live than anything.If ANYTHING of mine ended up in my neighbours garden/property - I would retrieve it ASAP and give them an apology too. It's just manners, at the end of the day. In the OP's case, warranted even more so if any obvious damage/disruption is done. It's still an inconvenience to the homeowner that wasn't planned. Yes, it's an accident but that's not an excuse for ignorance.These are the same people who would say when a child's ball goes through a greenhouse: "Well, it's ONLY a bit of glass innit?"*Sigh*

Well said. Agree 100% with that

I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas ar forever blowing over …I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas ar forever blowing over into my garden in the summer sometimes it take them a few days to come around and retrieve them if I haven’t had time to run them back around myself. They never apologise and I don’t expect them too and as not a big issue. It’s the wind they can’t really help it. Its just not a big issue to me I have more pressing things to concern myself with.

Jolly good. Lets hope nothing gets taken out on their next "fly-by." You might not feel so accommodating...
Phsycronix24/02/2020 12:10

Jolly good. Lets hope nothing gets taken out on their next "fly-by." You …Jolly good. Lets hope nothing gets taken out on their next "fly-by." You might not feel so accommodating...

Yeah if they skewed one my kids I would be angry
I sympathize, Sadly a fence seems like the only thing that'll prevent the litter as she's probably too busy getting impregnated to care you'll probably have to suck it up and pay for one etc.. Yes complain to the Council, They do have a duty to deal with complaints etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 24th Feb

I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas are forever blowing …I live next door to a pub, their big sun umbrellas are forever blowing over into my garden in the summer sometimes it takes them a few days to come around and retrieve them if I haven’t had time to run them back around myself. They never apologise and I don’t expect them too as it’snot a big issue. It’s the wind they can’t really help it. Its just not a big issue to me I have more pressing things to concern myself with.

I've got three kiddies next door to me and sometimes their balls come over, but, they knock on the door and ask politely if they can have their ball back, that's because they've been brought up with manners, just like I was.

If something of mine blew into another neighbours garden, which it couldn't because I've nothing that blows about, but if I had, I'd go and retrieve it and apologise at the same time.

Having kids is no excuse not to have manners.
DevilsReaper24/02/2020 12:08

Well said. Agree 100% with that

To be fair, I'm not trying to be "snooty." I like to think I'm easy going and don't tend to get rattled by the little things but one thing I cannot abide by is people (me included) not taking responsibility for things when they happen. It's easy to say "it's not a major issue" but it's also equally as easy to rectify something and apologise. There's no excuse not to. I know embarrassment can be a major factor; for example; the times someone has bumped into your car with a trolley or their door. You would expect a "Oh, I'm sorry" from someone but it's not always forthcoming. Some would pursue the issue - many would not. Now, if they put a really good mark on your car, would you not be a bit miffed?

As MUNHG234 said, I don't EXPECT someone to come round, cap in hand offering me their little finger as compensation but a simple "sorry" goes a long way. This is what makes for a great neighbourly relationship. To these people:- Would you rather have a neighbour like that, or one that doesn't give a monkeys? Rhetorical question, by the way...
maccy1i24/02/2020 12:16

I've got three kiddies next door to me and sometimes their balls come …I've got three kiddies next door to me and sometimes their balls come over, but, they knock on the door and ask politely if they can have their ball back, that's because they've been brought up with manners, just like I was.If something of mine blew into another neighbours garden, which it couldn't because I've nothing that blows about, but if I had, I'd go and retrieve it and apologise at the same time.Having kids is no excuse not to have manners.

The pub next door to me isn’t run by children.

Seriously I would expect my own kids to knock, apologies for the inconvenience and politely ask for anything back that has gone over just as I did as a kid.

It’s kind of funny when I’m around at my folks and my kids are playing in garden and a ball goes over and they are knocking on the same neighbours door I did as a kid.

I just think the op is getting worked up over something quite minor to me was the point I was trying to make. However it obviously concerning them as they have posted here about it and are even considering falsely reporting rat sighting to council which is worse behaviour in my opinion.

I'd be keeping them and selling them on eBay, see how many blow onto your garden then!

Also, every bit of rubbish that blew onto my garden, I'd be posting it through your letterbox.
BadMF24/02/2020 12:30

I'd be keeping them and selling them on eBay, see how many blow onto your …I'd be keeping them and selling them on eBay, see how many blow onto your garden then!Also, every bit of rubbish that blew onto my garden, I'd be posting it through your letterbox.

Good plan with eBay could be a nice little earner
myusernamehasgone23424/02/2020 11:20

Probably got her hands full with all the youngsters no wonder it took her …Probably got her hands full with all the youngsters no wonder it took her a short while to come and collect the trampoline.

She was probably laid on her back thinking about making another for more benefits

Probably got her hands full with all the youngsters no wonder it took her …Probably got her hands full with all the youngsters no wonder it took her a short while to come and collect the trampoline.

When mine flew I didn’t even know until neighbour knocked on my door and I couldn’t make what they was saying for a few times lol
So I went out as was absolutely my trampoline was in few pieces
snoopy1824/02/2020 12:32

She was probably laid on her back thinking about making another for more …She was probably laid on her back thinking about making another for more benefits

Isn’t there a limit and you can only claim for two children these days?

edited just googled and answered my own question yes there is a limit to only claim for two children

google.co.uk/amp…its

It was more your comment about having her hands full with all the youngsters, I realise the pub won't be run by children.

When there's a lot of children, most families tend to have more things in their garden, therefore, should take responsibility for them...and I'm not talking about 'takeaway boxes, empty milk cartons etc' as the OP is saying, that's just scruffy and lazy no matter how may children there are.

Some things are minor to some more than others, it's obviously bothering them, we're all different.

myusernamehasgone23424/02/2020 12:26

The pub next door to me isn’t run by children. Seriously I would …The pub next door to me isn’t run by children. Seriously I would expect my own kids to knock, apologies for the inconvenience and politely ask for anything back that has gone over just as I did as a kid.It’s kind of funny when I’m around at my folks and my kids are playing in garden and a ball goes over and they are knocking on the same neighbours door I did as a kid. I just think the op is getting worked up over something quite minor to me was the point I was trying to make. However it obviously concerning them as they have posted here about it and are even considering falsely reporting rat sighting to council which is worse behaviour in my opinion.

It's a bit late for it now - but when you go to sell you have a legal obligation to mention this to the new buyer, it may put a lot of people off.
Bigfootpete24/02/2020 12:55

It's a bit late for it now - but when you go to sell you have a legal …It's a bit late for it now - but when you go to sell you have a legal obligation to mention this to the new buyer, it may put a lot of people off.

This is why I put the bit about going to the council "straight off the bat." I too; like you; thought that a move like this creates a council report - which makes it an "official" complaint and therefore falls under the exact regulation you mention. I would wish to avoid this at all cost but if OP deems it the only recourse...
DevilsReaper24/02/2020 10:49

That would stop the majority of rubbish coming over but it would make my …That would stop the majority of rubbish coming over but it would make my garden look tacky too

Well, you don't want tacky and you can't invest in fences. I am out of ideas, you can't do anything for free.
DevilsReaper24/02/2020 11:03

Definitely not a cannabis house. Its a single mum with about 5 kids under …Definitely not a cannabis house. Its a single mum with about 5 kids under 10 years old.

Are you single? Maybe a little bit of romance ... suddenly the kids have a new Dad .. you move in with them .. rent your property which pays for a nice new fence
myusernamehasgone23424/02/2020 12:26

The pub next door to me isn’t run by children. Seriously I would …The pub next door to me isn’t run by children. Seriously I would expect my own kids to knock, apologies for the inconvenience and politely ask for anything back that has gone over just as I did as a kid.It’s kind of funny when I’m around at my folks and my kids are playing in garden and a ball goes over and they are knocking on the same neighbours door I did as a kid. I just think the op is getting worked up over something quite minor to me was the point I was trying to make. However it obviously concerning them as they have posted here about it and are even considering falsely reporting rat sighting to council which is worse behaviour in my opinion.

next time you should go over to the neighbours when the ball goes over and say i know its been a long time, but i kicked my ball over x years ago and have come to collect it back
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants