Expired

Neighbours boiler pressure release pipe work

Found 2nd Jun 2014
We live in a terraced property and the neighbours on either side have built double story extensions that extend out to the back ... which is fine. We now want to do the same but have discovered that one of the neighbours has placed boilers on the walls that we need to build up to and has pressure release pipes that have been venting hot water (due to scorch marks on the walls) where we need to build against.

I have been told that pipes that discharge anything ... whether it be gasses, water or air should be situated at least 600mm from a neighbours property and in a position not to cause danger or nuisance. However I can't seem to find anything on the internet. Can anybody help?
Community Updates
AskBoiler
18 Comments
just phone the Building Regulations department of your local council they will tell you
I did try that .... would you believe that they didn't really know I was surprised too.

Edited by: "firswood" 2nd Jun 2014
firswood

I did try that .... would you believe that they didn't really know I … I did try that .... would you believe that they didn't really know I was surprised too.

find a local plumber/boiler fitter and ring and ask them..they will/would know what they can and carnt do ?
"and has pressure release pipes that have been venting hot water (due to scorch marks on the walls) where we need to build against"

are we talking water overflow pipe ? are the marks on the wall green..i ask becase most boiler pressure release is done in the boiler but every boiler has a water overflow outlet pipe that goes outside...

and hot water dont cause "scorch marks" like say a flame does
Butterbean

Any good?

Thanks for this .... quite clear as to the requirements for the flue but can't seem to see anything about the pressure release overflow piping.

The pipes are copper that come out a little and then turn back to face the wall. They were situated just above where we would come out of the back door. Hence they are about 7 ft above ground level (possibly 8ft) and the marks and /patches are quite wide are black/dark brown running for about 5ft down the wall.
Edited by: "firswood" 2nd Jun 2014
firswood

Thanks for this .... quite clear as to the requirements for the flue but … Thanks for this .... quite clear as to the requirements for the flue but can't seem to see anything about the pressure release overflow piping. The pipes are copper that come out a little and then turn back to face the wall. They were situated just above where we would come out of the back door. Hence they are about 7 ft above ground level (possibly 8ft) and the marks and /patches are quite wide are black/dark brown running for about 5ft down the wall.

with what you have explained its been done prop..its that hight and bent back so if there is an overflow of water it would be boiling water therefor it does not gush on people below and scalled them and at the time they had it fitted they were not to know you wanted to build there....

the only solution i can see is if you ask them if they will reroute it to another external wall i.e at the back of the house its not a hard job (price of copper pipe and brackets and hole drilled in new place) and they may say yes but at your cost
Edited by: "terry7866" 2nd Jun 2014
terry7866

with what you have explained its been done prop..its that hight and bent … with what you have explained its been done prop..its that hight and bent back so if there is an overflow of water it would be boiling water therefor it does not gush on people below and scalled them and at the time they had it fitted they were not to know you wanted to build there....the only solution i can see is if you ask them if they will reroute it to another external wall i.e at the back of the house its not a hard job (price of copper pipe and brackets and hole drilled in new place) and they may say yes but at your cost

.. but surely you can't have pipes etc. that drain/empty onto a neighbours property .... that doesn't sound right. The same work draining onto their property would seem reasonable.
i understand what you mean but it was prob done like that for the ease of the job...will your extension be built direct on to that wall where it sticks out...meaning will there be a gap between your extension and theres or will it be tied into there extension ?
Surely if the pipe is extruding into your space then this is against planning laws?

I know naff all about building regulations but I find it very strange that someone can have a pipe extruding over your line and into your property.
You are correct about the boundary. My next door neighbour built an extension and I got home to find the builders had cored a hole for the toilet extract out the side next to my drive. I took great pleasure informing them they couldn't do that and they had to re brick the hole and take it out the tiled roof.
Even if the pipes weren't there I very much doubt the council would approve an extension to your property. If your neighbour either side have built out, they would probably refuse it on the grounds of "terracing effect". Google it.
It is an unfair reason but, one which the council use all too often
damo1972

Even if the pipes weren't there I very much doubt the council would … Even if the pipes weren't there I very much doubt the council would approve an extension to your property. If your neighbour either side have built out, they would probably refuse it on the grounds of "terracing effect". Google it.It is an unfair reason but, one which the council use all too often

We have the planning permission and just need to get over this hurdle.

pinkleponkle

You are correct about the boundary. My next door neighbour built an … You are correct about the boundary. My next door neighbour built an extension and I got home to find the builders had cored a hole for the toilet extract out the side next to my drive. I took great pleasure informing them they couldn't do that and they had to re brick the hole and take it out the tiled roof.

... agreed but I can't find the specific regulation that says this.
Your Architect will be able to sort it out.
damo1972

Even if the pipes weren't there I very much doubt the council would … Even if the pipes weren't there I very much doubt the council would approve an extension to your property. If your neighbour either side have built out, they would probably refuse it on the grounds of "terracing effect". Google it.It is an unfair reason but, one which the council use all too often

pinkleponkle

You are correct about the boundary. My next door neighbour built an … You are correct about the boundary. My next door neighbour built an extension and I got home to find the builders had cored a hole for the toilet extract out the side next to my drive. I took great pleasure informing them they couldn't do that and they had to re brick the hole and take it out the tiled roof.

if you've got planning permission, there should be no issue, as who ever drew the plans should have noticed this, and submitted this on the plans, the fact that your plans have been approved mean there is no issue.
damo1972

if you've got planning permission, there should be no issue, as who ever … if you've got planning permission, there should be no issue, as who ever drew the plans should have noticed this, and submitted this on the plans, the fact that your plans have been approved mean there is no issue.

Wrong - Planning Permission just means that the local council has approved the design and construction of the extension, nothing more. It doesn't mean that every issue has been resolved, no matter how good the architect is.
Delbert Grady

Wrong - Planning Permission just means that the local council has … Wrong - Planning Permission just means that the local council has approved the design and construction of the extension, nothing more. It doesn't mean that every issue has been resolved, no matter how good the architect is.

wrong this should have been noted on the submitted plans! Especially if this could pose a possible problem!
damo1972

wrong this should have been noted on the submitted plans! Especially if … wrong this should have been noted on the submitted plans! Especially if this could pose a possible problem!

True, but I never disputed that, read my post properly.
My point is that you were wrong when you stated above;

" the fact that your plans have been approved mean there is no issue"

because the plans have been approved and yet there is an unresolved issue with this pipe, so your statement is incorrect.
Got it now?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants