Neighbours cooker vent..

Posted 28th May
This is my neighbours cooker extractor, it points directly over our patio, which isnt normally an issue except when they cook something really strong smelling, to be fair it was here before our patio but I'd like to sort it, so does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do, can I buy one that directs it up and over their roof, a filter or anything?

3473543.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I would be more worried about that body bag.
22 Comments
It's your neighbours that need to sort it not you as they own the wall, maybe have a chat to them to see what can be done?
Edited by: "SnoopZ" 28th May
I would be more worried about that body bag.
SnoopZ28/05/2020 19:11

It's your neighbours that need to sort it not you as they own the wall, …It's your neighbours that need to sort it not you as they own the wall, maybe have a chat to them to see what can be done?

Yeah i know really it is for them to sort, but as i say we put the patio here after, so I'd prefer to find a solution and ask if i can do it, we do get on really well.
This is the sort of thing that can make a lawyer very rich.
Just be glad it's "vented."

I had a Turkish neighbour - fab chap and his wife was (quiet) but nice. However, every now and again they'd cook some seriously nasty smelling food (I hope it was food) and it used to permeate through the wall somewhere. My house would reek of it. I can't describe it other than it smelled like a dead animal (yes, I know - it probably was seeing as it's food!) but I mean a proper, roadside 'dead dicky-dido' gone-off pong. Quite stomach churning actually. My folks visited me and asked if a mouse/rat had died in my house!

One day, it was SO bad that I let out aloud "Christ! What the hell are they cooking! PHEW!" About a week or so later, I heard some chiselling outside. Extractor and vent installed. Thank heavens!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 29th May
Ask them to install a carbon filter in their oven hood which should absorb the smells
Looks like a downward pointing vent, is the wall badly hit by rain?
Usually the vent outlet has a 3 flap cover, so the flaps open and allow it to blow out, rather than directing it down
They have a bathroom extraction vent for a kitchen hood vent
matth999928/05/2020 20:56

Looks like a downward pointing vent, is the wall badly hit by rain?Usually …Looks like a downward pointing vent, is the wall badly hit by rain?Usually the vent outlet has a 3 flap cover, so the flaps open and allow it to blow out, rather than directing it down

That would still chuck the smell onto their property. Best way is to put a filter in the hood if they don't already.
Is where the body bag is your property? If so, not sure why you didn't pick up on it before, regardless of your patio coming later.
Sc4mp028/05/2020 19:29

Ask them to install a carbon filter in their oven hood which should absorb …Ask them to install a carbon filter in their oven hood which should absorb the smells

Good idea, they may not even know it should be replaced, they are an older couple.

Looks like a downward pointing vent, is the wall badly hit by rain?Usually …Looks like a downward pointing vent, is the wall badly hit by rain?Usually the vent outlet has a 3 flap cover, so the flaps open and allow it to blow out, rather than directing it down

Yes there is a flap inside, if we didn't get on I'd jam the flap down it does get hit by rain.
Just block it up, problem sorted
EN1GMA28/05/2020 21:27

Is where the body bag is your property? If so, not sure why you didn't …Is where the body bag is your property? If so, not sure why you didn't pick up on it before, regardless of your patio coming later.

The patio and bag were put in the same time last year, its just never really been an issue but lately they've been cooking more smelly food, deep fried chips are the worst, plus we're home much more.
I'll have a word tomorrow and see when they last changed the filters.
cliosport6528/05/2020 21:46

Just block it up, problem sorted

Many a true word spoken in jest.

I'd say this was a great suggestion/solution. Few strips of duck tape should do the trick.

Oh really, mine was pointed up and I thought they installed it wrong
Ducting and a chimney, raise it a metre. Work or the cost. Explain the issue. Offer to Pay half cost, and maybe fit it (not difficult). The least it will do is broach the subject.
Always best to approach a problem with a solution. "We've got a problem here. Recently noticed that...... I've got a solution though. Here's what I'd do. ... If you like, I will pay half the costs and even fit it myself to keep costs down to a minimum. What do you suggest?"

Worst thing is to go in "What are YOU going to do about it?".
It looks to me that the vent cover is within the bounds of your property (which in itself is a whole can of worms), however, if that is the case, you could just stick a sponge in the vent to stop the smells (perhaps only when you are on the patio).
That's nothing, my neighbours smoke n it seeps through the walls, disgusting
It maybe there wall but it looks like they would have to come on to your property to get to it. Block it up and dont let them on.. or is there no way of just turning vent upwards while your in garden and turn back when you go in...
bluetba28/05/2020 21:43

Good idea, they may not even know it should be replaced, they are an older …Good idea, they may not even know it should be replaced, they are an older couple.

You don't fit carbon filters in a cooker hood if it is vented outside, they are only fitted if you are recirculating the exhaust air back into the kitchen. They reduce the airflow and only work for a few months anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text