Groups

Neighbours playing loud music between 1am and 3am every night!

My boyfriends neighbours (or flat / house nearby, we can't quite tell) have been playing loud drum and bass music every single night between the hours of 1am and 3am.

They used to do it occasionally at a weekend but now it is every single night. It starts off with them turning it up to (what sounds like) the maximum level then after a few minutes it gets turned down (but the bass is still audible) then it goes off after about half an hour and the whole process starts again until about 3am, sometimes later.

We can't work out who it is but it is definitely one of the two houses next door however the houses are separate from the flats (my boyfriend's bedroom wall is shared with the second floor of the first house - so I think it is them!) so we have never seen or met the people who live in the houses.

During the weekend is bad enough but now they are doing it during the week something has to be done. They obviously don't have jobs to get up for!

Can you advise what we need to do as I am not really sure? The flats and houses are HA I think so should we start with them?

42 Comments

Banned

Call the police?

Shotgun?

Supermod

Telephone your local authority and speak with the Environmental Health officer.

Banned

knock on the door and try communications first, in the human world it works well most of the time

Original Poster

magicjay1986;8828694

Telephone your local authority and speak with the Environmental Health … Telephone your local authority and speak with the Environmental Health officer.

Will they still be able to help if we are not entirely sure which house it is coming from? I tried to figure it out last night but I couldn't see / hear anything that made it obvious.

Original Poster

sassie;8828701

knock on the door and try communications first, in the human world it … knock on the door and try communications first, in the human world it works well most of the time

I would but we don't know what house it is. My boyfriend is going to speak to the other neighbours to see if it is annoying them and to find out if they have any idea who it is.

start keeping a diary of when it starts etc as you will be asked to do this at some point, you might as well get ahead of the game. this site ]Neighbours From Hell may be of some help. I hope you get it sorted as being in this situation once i know what you are going through.

Banned

kimbyanne;8828713

I would but we don't know what house it is. My boyfriend is going to … I would but we don't know what house it is. My boyfriend is going to speak to the other neighbours to see if it is annoying them and to find out if they have any idea who it is.

it is either of two houses, if it aint the first its the second, you frightened of hurting your hand knocking, they may ever have a knocker or door bell

Original Poster

richp;8828724

start keeping a diary of when it starts etc as you will be asked to do … start keeping a diary of when it starts etc as you will be asked to do this at some point, you might as well get ahead of the game. this site ]Neighbours From Hell may be of some help. I hope you get it sorted as being in this situation once i know what you are going through.

Thanks, that is a good idea. We still do this.

Banned

folowing on from the other thread

How do I complain about noise nuisance? 1. Tackle the Source … How do I complain about noise nuisance? 1. Tackle the Source First, approach whoever is responsible for the noise. They will often not realise they are disturbing you. The majority of noise complaints are resolved informally, and you may well get a quicker result than if you wait for an official to arrive. In cases where you might feel threatened, or where previous personal approaches have not worked, go to your local authority. 2. Complain to the Local Authority Contact the environmental health department of your local authority. They must investigate your complaint. If they agree that the noise is a nuisance they will contact the offender – informally at first, but with an abatement notice if necessary. If the offender fails to comply with the notice, proceedings can be taken in the Magistrates Court (Sheriff Court in Scotland) or an injunction sought in the High Court. 3. Mediation Many areas have mediation services who can help you resolve noise disputes. Again, this may often prove quicker than the legislative route, and is useful where there is a problem, but a statutory nuisance cannot be proved. Your local authority should be able to put you in touch with a mediation service if there is one available in your area.If these fail… 1. Complain Direct to Magistrates As an occupier of premises affected by noise nuisance you can complain directly to the Magistrates Court under section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. You may do this because you do not wish to involve the local authority or because you have not obtained satisfaction from them. 2. Take Civil Action Civil action can be taken if you demonstrate that the noise nuisance substantially affects your health, comfort or convenience. It can be expensive and it is wise to seek legal advice. If you win the case you will obtain an injunction to stop the nuisance and can sometimes claim damages. Civil action differs from Magistrate/Sheriff Court proceedings in that judgment is based on how the nuisance affects others. Proving that the 'best practicable means" have been used to abate the noise is no defence, except in cases involving noise from trade or business premises.In extreme cases…Neighbour noise can be part of a more serious neighbour problem. Under the Housing Act 1996 social landlords can take action against tenants for anti-social behaviour. The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 gives councils the power to issue an anti-social behaviour order to anyone causing "harassment, alarm or distress" – this can include noise. Disobeying an order carries a prison sentence of up to five years.

environmental-protection.org.uk/noi…on/

Banned

People playing music like this at the times mentioned are unlikely to be civilised humans. Forget communicating directly, play it anonymously or risk retribution.

adison;8828690

Shotgun?

Even though this is a really stupid thing to say + 1. Just would not put up with it. Shoot them down or poison them somehow :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;8828728

it is either of two houses, if it aint the first its the second, you … it is either of two houses, if it aint the first its the second, you frightened of hurting your hand knocking, they may ever have a knocker or door bell

No but seeing as they obviously have no jobs to get up for in the morning and don't care about waking other people up, I am guessing they aren't the nicest people. Until I know who it is, I am not going to go around knocking on doors. Besides, I really doubt they would admit it if I asked them if it was them playing the music late at night.

Sneak around outside wearing all black and a balaclava and listen with a glass at the door of every house to see which one it is.

Even if you don't find which one it is...you could pretend to be a ninja for a while.

On a more serious note, you need to contact Environmental Health and keep a noise diary as other people have said.

we have same problem, contact your anti social behaviour officer, there will be one at the police station but they wont let on, the other is with the local council

Banned

kimbyanne;8828754

No but seeing as they obviously have no jobs to get up for in the morning … No but seeing as they obviously have no jobs to get up for in the morning and don't care about waking other people up, I am guessing they aren't the nicest people. Until I know who it is, I am not going to go around knocking on doors. Besides, I really doubt they would admit it if I asked them if it was them playing the music late at night.

wow alot of assumtions, so people that stay up late dont work, maybe they dont even realise they are disturbing you, and talking about nice/not nice people, i am surprised by how some people still manage to breathe without help

angelfairee;8828768

Sneak around outside wearing all black and a balaclava and listen with a … Sneak around outside wearing all black and a balaclava and listen with a glass at the door of every house to see which one it is.

Professional stalker tips ITT

numptyj;8828784

Professional stalker tips ITT

Can you speak a bit louder please?! I can't hear you. And can you sit closer to the window too? Thanks.

sassie;8828772

wow alot of assumtions, so people that stay up late dont work, maybe they … wow alot of assumtions, so people that stay up late dont work, maybe they dont even realise they are disturbing you, and talking about nice/not nice people, i am surprised by how some people still manage to breathe without help

:w00t:

Get yourself one of these and blow it incessantly.......................................

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/ClutchlessBurgers/vuvuzela.jpg

Original Poster

sassie;8828772

wow alot of assumtions, so people that stay up late dont work, maybe they … wow alot of assumtions, so people that stay up late dont work, maybe they dont even realise they are disturbing you, and talking about nice/not nice people, i am surprised by how some people still manage to breathe without help

I have to ask, what is your problem? You seem to attack everything I say, am I not entitled to my opinion? If you didn't want to offer any useful advice, why bother replying at all?

People who play music that loud at that time of night cannot possibly claim they don't realise they are disturbing people. They are obviously anti-social layabouts and I would rather not get involved with them. I am going to report them to the police and the HA.

Banned

kimbyanne;8829100

I have to ask, what is your problem? You seem to attack everything I … I have to ask, what is your problem? You seem to attack everything I say, am I not entitled to my opinion? If you didn't want to offer any useful advice, why bother replying at all? People who play music that loud at that time of night cannot possibly claim they don't realise they are disturbing people. They are obviously anti-social layabouts and I would rather not get involved with them. I am going to report them to the police and the HA.

the useful advice i offered was to go round and communicate, its hardly unhelpful advice is it

oh and good luck with reporting them, 1st question you will be asked by both is, have you been around and discussed with them

Original Poster

sassie;8829139

the useful advice i offered was to go round and communicate, its hardly … the useful advice i offered was to go round and communicate, its hardly unhelpful advice is itoh and good luck with reporting them, 1st question you will be asked by both is, have you been around and discussed with them

Yeah but your advice also came with attitude. Hardly necessary is it.

I am not going round there, as I said before, they are obviously inbreds and I don't want to get involved with them. If I am asked to speak to them I will stick a letter through the doors.

Banned

kimbyanne;8829192

Yeah but your advice also came with attitude. Hardly necessary is it.I … Yeah but your advice also came with attitude. Hardly necessary is it.I am not going round there, as I said before, they are obviously inbreds and I don't want to get involved with them. If I am asked to speak to them I will stick a letter through the doors.

Sensible option. You are doing the right thing, I would do the same.

jellybaby22;8829237

:w00t:are you serious??? Inbreeds ?? lol dont say that to them will … :w00t:are you serious??? Inbreeds ?? lol dont say that to them will you..... I would prefer if I was causing a noise that was disturbing people they came and said to me... and sassie is right.. I know our council, first thing they advise is that you go round to them and try to resolve things first god luck:thumbsup:

That's fine, but if the OP doesn't feel comfortable approaching her neighbours the council are hardly going to refuse to help, are they?! She can't be forced to confront them if she doesn't want to in order to justify her need for help.

jellybaby22;8829306

no fair enough... but it could all be resolved by just asking … no fair enough... but it could all be resolved by just asking nicely...might p them off when you just go straight to getting the council/ police involved

I'd always rate my wellbeing over the possibility that I might irritate my neighbours by taking a different course of action to asking them first...

Must confess here..............................Couple of years back I got into the habit of going out with my friends every Friday, then everyone came back to mines later. Music would go on and we would have another couple of hours partying:oops: I honestly didnt think my music was THAT loud (but alcohol does that) and because my neighbours were always nice to me, I just thought it didnt bother anyone. Then one day my neighbour did come to my door and was mortified when asking me to try keep my Friday night music down a bit :oops: I really did feel bad - and it stopped!!! Thankfully we all get on great and I am glad someone did tell me about it.

Maybe if you cant approach them, what about putting a note through their door - doesnt have to be signed

Your local council should have someone available at those times to call and take measurements of the noise from your property. They can establish which house it's coming from and take action if it breaches the prescribed levels.

Our noise team operate 24/7 - not every council have one that operates 24/7.

Look up their website and check it out - or just give Environmental Health a call.

Original Poster

bossyboots;8829379

Must confess here..............................Couple of years back I got … Must confess here..............................Couple of years back I got into the habit of going out with my friends every Friday, then everyone came back to mines later. Music would go on and we would have another couple of hours partying:oops: I honestly didnt think my music was THAT loud (but alcohol does that) and because my neighbours were always nice to me, I just thought it didnt bother anyone. Then one day my neighbour did come to my door and was mortified when asking me to try keep my Friday night music down a bit :oops: I really did feel bad - and it stopped!!! Thankfully we all get on great and I am glad someone did tell me about it.Maybe if you cant approach them, what about putting a note through their door - doesnt have to be signed

I don't think they are having parties because we never hear any talking / shouting, just the music. Plus it happens every single night now.

I am going to speak to HA / Council tomorrow and ask their advice. If they want me to speak to the neighbours then I will explain that I would rather not but if necessary I will write a letter simply asking them to keep the noise down.

master_chief;8828749

People playing music like this at the times mentioned are unlikely to be … People playing music like this at the times mentioned are unlikely to be civilised humans. Forget communicating directly, play it anonymously or risk retribution.

Exactly. I can just imagine the reaction were the op to knock and ask them to turn music down.......

kimbyanne;8829100

I have to ask, what is your problem? You seem to attack everything I … I have to ask, what is your problem? You seem to attack everything I say, am I not entitled to my opinion? If you didn't want to offer any useful advice, why bother replying at all? People who play music that loud at that time of night cannot possibly claim they don't realise they are disturbing people. They are obviously anti-social layabouts and I would rather not get involved with them. I am going to report them to the police and the HA.

I actually partly agree with Sassie here, I am a student so constantly hear excessive noise in shared student houses and a lot of students may know deep down that it disturbs people but they just simply try not to think about it.

This year there were times when I had to deal with small parties every day for like 4-7 days at a time now I dont hear nothing since the person moved out but I would mention to him about the noise but the reason why it went on was because he was lonely and wanted company so let his friends play loud music.

The worst time was when I had some strereotypical "chavvy" people who got full HB as they both got Incapacity benefit, then sublet and then worked part time too earning a decent wage then as they had plenty of cash they took drugs every night so imagine being kept awake ALL night not just till 3am hearing people yelling laughing and often having loud sex!

I dont think in your case its as bad as you think as to go to bed at 3am probably means they are just chilling out and going to bed after a night out

Banned

earlier in the thread you said this

kimbyanne;8828713

I would but we don't know what house it is. My boyfriend is going to … I would but we don't know what house it is. My boyfriend is going to speak to the other neighbours to see if it is annoying them and to find out if they have any idea who it is.

and now we have gone to scum of the earth, lazy layabouts, etc,etc, so wondering what the real reason is you wont go knock someones door, and you say i am the one with attitude, thank the lord you didnt say the only one

inbreds, anti-social layabouts, no job scum, not nice people etc etc you seem like a nice neighbour you don't even know them :?

Had same problem - forget about EH - they are useless.

Best what we done is while our house was empty (was renovating at the time). We left the radio on full blast all nite for a solid 2 months - (during the day the builders had the radio on anyway, so they had no chance to sleep). Believe me, after two months of hardly no sleep they were very annoyed - but it worked.

Original Poster

waterloo;8830210

inbreds, anti-social layabouts, no job scum, not nice people etc etc you … inbreds, anti-social layabouts, no job scum, not nice people etc etc you seem like a nice neighbour you don't even know them :?

and I don't want to know them. Like I have said before, they are obviously anti-social idiots and I am not going to involve myself with them.

Anyway, after speaking with some neighbours we think we know who it is and we are going to send them a letter. Can anyone recommend some wording?

jellybaby22;8836785

shut it...or I'll put a brick through your window ??? :-D

lol brilliant!!!! or just wrap the note around a brick and chuck it through!!

Perhaps your boyfriend could go round and speak to them?

If it is a couple of lads, a simple 'listen lads, don't meant to sound like an old fart but I've got to be up early in the mornings for work and would appreciate it if you could knock the volume down a bit on the music.'

kimbyanne;8836767

and I don't want to know them. Like I have said before, they are … and I don't want to know them. Like I have said before, they are obviously anti-social idiots and I am not going to involve myself with them.Anyway, after speaking with some neighbours we think we know who it is and we are going to send them a letter. Can anyone recommend some wording?

That sounds like you are being quite high and mighty, I know where you are coming from since I have experience with noisy neighbours.

How can you say they are anti social idiots if you havent spoken to them?

Banned

xcookx;8836914

Perhaps your boyfriend could go round and speak to them?If it is a couple … Perhaps your boyfriend could go round and speak to them?If it is a couple of lads, a simple 'listen lads, don't meant to sound like an old fart but I've got to be up early in the mornings for work and would appreciate it if you could knock the volume down a bit on the music.'

good answer - I would be well annoyed to receive a letter when a simple 'keep it down please' would suffice. In fact, I'd probably turn it up louder lol

maybe neighbours have hifi on some kind of timer to deter burglars and they are actually away on holiday.

very offensive to call them in-breds when you dont even know who they are.

And people do have shift work too lol

Banned

Call the police report them for excessive noise and they will give them an ASBO :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cat Chat76734
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767394
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1725
      4. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?55

See more discussions