Expired

neighbours roof causing leak in my prop

Found 11th Oct 2014
Hi everyone

just wanted to ask that if a neighbours roof has the tiles which are the problem and that is causing water to come into my property(ceiling) then should the neighbour pay for it?

or because the leak is coming into my prop, then regardless of where the leak is from its my responsibility to sort it out?

just wanted to know how others have managed to sort it in similar situations?

The prop next door is rented by a lovely family but obviously i'll have to deal with the landlord who comes across as a decent guy, but isnt everyone unless it concerns money....

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Probably depends how much it will cost to fix and whether it involves work on his property.
Get at least three written estimates and decide whether its
a Cheap enough to sort out yourself if it can be done on your own.
b If you need work on his property, is it reasonable enough to suggest going halves.
c If it's expensive, let your insurance worry about it - give them the facts and they will decide whether to pursue the owners
The responsibility should be set out in the deeds to the property, it could be joint or singular. There could also be a management arrangement whereby an account or insurance exists for this very eventuality.

Your neighbour may well be responsible for the repair of the leak to the roof, but will probably not be responsible for any consequential loses. That may necessitate a claim against his or your buildings and contents insurance.
the owner of the neighbours property should pay for the repair of his roof.

just make sure that you are certain its his roof tiles that are causing the problem and not something else.
If your neighbour's house has defects that affect your property in this way, environmental health can deal with it on your behalf if you'd prefer.

Source: I work in EH.
moob

If your neighbour's house has defects that affect your property in this … If your neighbour's house has defects that affect your property in this way, environmental health can deal with it on your behalf if you'd prefer. Source: I work in EH.

So if I get some roofers out and they confirm it's not my roof but the leak is emanating from neighbours, but neighbours refuse to fix then EH would get involved if I contacted them?
I had my ridge tiles replaced last year and the Roofer commented that my roofs in very good condition. That's why I'm certain that the damp patches appearing in my property after a bout of rain a few days ago is coming from neighbours.
EN1GMA

So if I get some roofers out and they confirm it's not my roof but the … So if I get some roofers out and they confirm it's not my roof but the leak is emanating from neighbours, but neighbours refuse to fix then EH would get involved if I contacted them?

Alternatively, you can just call EH, have them assess the situation if it's obvious enough, and they can take it forward.

You'll get it sorted either way, don't worry. Good luck.
if things become serious i'd start talking to your house insurance provider, they could pursue the matter with the landlords house insurance provider, if the cause of the leak can be proven.
jura1

if things become serious i'd start talking to your house insurance … if things become serious i'd start talking to your house insurance provider, they could pursue the matter with the landlords house insurance provider, if the cause of the leak can be proven.

An insurance company will only pursue a 3rd party insurer to recoup cosmetic damage. They won't be involved in rectifying the actual structural defect.
thanks for the advice guys. roofer coming next week so will know for sure where leak is coming from.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants