Groups

Nespresso pods

Just been given a Nespresso machine, any good recommendations for substatute pods?

15 Comments

Fill your own capsules (off eBay) or aldi ristretto caps are excellent

I've tried lots of substitute capsules but have sadly never found any as good as the branded Nespresso ones.

If you like a good coffee stick with nespreso. The alternatives are not much cheaper and you will be disappointed with them

the only ones I've found as good as the genuine are from Costco. 60 pods for £10. also if you're lucky poundland sometimes have carte noir one s in which I really like

I personally think the aldi ones are yuck

cov4theprem

If you like a good coffee stick with nespreso. The alternatives are not … If you like a good coffee stick with nespreso. The alternatives are not much cheaper and you will be disappointed with them

if you like good coffee you don't bother with pods

Like other posters, nespresso are the best pods, not just for the coffee but for the throughput of water through the pod. A lot of the cheap pods just struggle to get the pods peirced correctly, meaning you get the incorrect pressure through the pods.
    However in the months of owning this machine I have found a few that nealry measure up to nespresso original pods, both taste wise and water flow through the pods.
    From amazon there is the caffe vitessa pods, they vary in price I bought them at £7 for 50. There is a range here:

amazon.co.uk/s/r…so+

Also I find the Taylors of Harrogate pods taste very good and the water flow is great, they can be picked up for £1 for 10 at poundworld, although your mileage may vary due to stock fluctuations.

Good luck finding out your preferences, there is loads out there, although the nespresso pods do taste the best in my opinion.
    I may also start using my own coffee in refillable pods in the near future when my current batch runs out.

Just out of interest though, how many pods do people use when making a drink, I use two (sometimes three) per drink however my wife thinks I am crazy as they are too strong.

[quote=Orekul
    Just out of interest though, how many pods do people use when making a drink, I use two (sometimes three) per drink however my wife thinks I am crazy as they are too strong.[/quote]

I use one to fill a small mug hit the large cup button twice I drink 5/6 mugs a day

Costco have changed there pack size to 80 for 13.99

Off to pound world today to restock tried theirs yesterday

lee1000

I use one to fill a small mug hit the large cup button twice I drink 5/6 … I use one to fill a small mug hit the large cup button twice I drink 5/6 mugs a dayCostco have changed there pack size to 80 for 13.99Off to pound world today to restock tried theirs yesterday

Does that make it strong enough though, I use one large press per pod, eject and replace.
    Edited by: "Orekul" 7th May

my wife says that the only thing that comes close enough to the Nespresso ones are the new Starbucks pods alas no saving there usually prices as the Nespresso ones

Orekul

Does that make it strong enough though, I use one large press per pod, … Does that make it strong enough though, I use one large press per pod, eject and replace.

It is for me I like strong coffee I usually drink 10's or above

I like my coffee string...

Best - Nespresso
    Better - starbucks (normally 20% off codes around)
    Good - cafepod (up to 40% codes around, 10% on their website)
    Ok - Home bargains, the green ones

A bit of leakage from all but the starbucks and nespresso ones on my pixie

RealDealSeeker

I like my coffee string...Best - NespressoBetter - starbucks (normally … I like my coffee string...Best - NespressoBetter - starbucks (normally 20% off codes around)Good - cafepod (up to 40% codes around, 10% on their website)Ok - Home bargains, the green onesA bit of leakage from all but the starbucks and nespresso ones on my pixie

I agree Nespresso are the best but with my coffee habit to expensive
    I'm now looking a the sealpod since I also drink a lot of ground coffee too (the joy of children )
    Anyone using the sealpod?

I've had a nespresso in the past but soon realised how ridiculous the pods are. Especially when you calculate how much you are paying for just a few grams of coffee. I replaced it with a bean to cup machine (£200) and haven't looked back in terms of running costs or quality.

Original Poster

Thanks all, I will start working through your suggestions and see which I like
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gaming PC £700 / £800 budget22
      2. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?11
      3. advice needed on dumbell weight training please11
      4. Looking for a mobile phone with a £300 budget44

See more discussions