Nest installation - numbers etc *URGENT help please!!*

Found 1st Oct 2017
I read up about installing the Nest (3rd gen) and thought I was competent enough.

I am changing from a Honeywell to Nest.

Turns out I'm baffled by the numbers and....well....the boiler isn't turning on.

Photos to come.

The fuse for the boiler is currently off as I don't want to mess things up.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

stick to making cakes and call someone in to do it..
19 Comments

Original Poster

Existing:

32146737-ZmKT9.jpg

32146737-UCQEA.jpg

Original Poster

I thought putting the one in #3 into the new nest #3, and the same for #4.

But it turns out that's not the case!

The nest numbering system is

32146757-13vmq.jpg

32146757-AsKf3.jpg

Original Poster

What numbers do I need to connect the yellow and red wires into?!

yellow in number 6 and red in number 3

Original Poster

refix24 m ago

yellow in number 6 and red in number 3

Thank you.

Thats what I thought, and tried, but the boiler wouldn't work, it wouldn't start at all.

I then got cold feet and put the old system back and it's working again.

There are so many wires, 3 into each of the neutral, earth and live, plus the red & yellow (3&4) and a blue and white which is just sort of cut off.

I think this may be beyond my expertise, sadly.

Im usually fairly competent

stick to making cakes and call someone in to do it..

I can normally connect up electrics but this one looks a bit complicated as there are so many wires!

i think 8 out of ten times it simple enough but then there odd cases where election is needed, if u followed instructions to t then it looks like expertise is needed

Original Poster

Thanks. I've left it and have asked for quotes from registered Nest Pro installers.

One quote already for £109 inc VAT which seems steep but it's beyond my skills I think!!

I'll see what the other quotes come in at. I asked my normal boiler guys but they don't install them often and didn't seem too keen on installing it.

Have you bridged the live from L to 2 and 5?
32148973-eadkj.jpg

To help with your understanding the 3 connections to the live/neutral/earth are most likely supply in, to the boiler and to the pump.

I agree with moneybag's comment - and also refix on the actual relocation of cables.

The wiring is in a bit of a mess - you appear to have a nipped live cable and have an unterminated blue cable - if you are going to get someone in it could do with a tidy up!

moneybag10 h, 17 m ago

Have you bridged the live from L to 2 and 5?[Image]

This man knows whats happening, the nest does not link the live internally so you need to provide live as in his image.

jonmarz8912 h, 40 m ago

i think 8 out of ten times it simple enough but then there odd cases …i think 8 out of ten times it simple enough but then there odd cases where election is needed, if u followed instructions to t then it looks like expertise is needed

You'd get my vote ;).

sicklysweet13 h, 45 m ago

Thanks. I've left it and have asked for quotes from registered Nest Pro …Thanks. I've left it and have asked for quotes from registered Nest Pro installers. One quote already for £109 inc VAT which seems steep but it's beyond my skills I think!!I'll see what the other quotes come in at. I asked my normal boiler guys but they don't install them often and didn't seem too keen on installing it.

What a ridiculous price. You don't need a 'Nest Pro installer', this is literally 5 mins work for a competent electrician. Contact electricians and tell them it should be 10 mins work maximum so they know you know its not complicated.
Edited by: "cossy3" 2nd Oct 2017

cossy335 m ago

What a ridiculous price. You don't need a 'Nest Pro installer', this is …What a ridiculous price. You don't need a 'Nest Pro installer', this is literally 5 mins work for a competent electrician. Contact electricians and tell them it should be 10 mins work maximum so they know you know its not complicated.

this. any competent electrician will be able to do this. i find however, electricians tend to charge by the hour so they aren't that cheap either.

Original Poster

moneybag15 h, 28 m ago

Have you bridged the live from L to 2 and 5?[Image]

That actually makes sense and is in line with YouTube videos with U shaped cables bridging those numbers.

Despite thinking I now understand enough that if I was in dire straits I could possibly try, the boiler is only 1 1/2 years old and I am not going to risk anything as it's electrics and I could really mess things up.

I've also ready compatibility-wise the wire in cables shouldn't be stranded, they should be solid.

Of the 3 cables going into each of the neutral, live & earth, only one is a solid wire and the other two stranded. I don't know how important that is, which just proves I shouldn't be fiddling.

My electrician has moved to Bristol, unfortunately!

Thank you everyone for your help, comments, advice etc. It is HUGELY helpful and puts me in a position that I now understand what is going on and that makes me much happier about this.

The other quote that just came in was £140 +VAT and that it can take up to 4 hours. Nonsense in my opinion! I could do the main of it in 30 minutes but don't know the last 10 minutes of work. If they were here for an hour I'd be surprised.

Ive already set the nest unit up to the internet and don't need the full instructions on how to use it after installation.

I honestly can't see why it's so expensive to instal them, I was thinking max £70 and even then....

I need an outside security camera to be hard wired and a new security light so I might see if my old electrician can recommend someone and ask them whilst they're here.

I also need a plumber to come and do a couple of things.

Would you say a plumber or electrician would be more suited to an installation?!

I wish I could have done this myself

Original Poster

mutley12 h, 6 m ago

this. any competent electrician will be able to do this. i find however, …this. any competent electrician will be able to do this. i find however, electricians tend to charge by the hour so they aren't that cheap either.

My old electrician was great as he helped refurb the house and since then, if we needed stuff doing we used to ask when he was around this side of town and fit in with his schedule, which worked well for both of us.

I'll see if he knows anyone he can recommend.

Original Poster

Van197315 h, 36 m ago

To help with your understanding the 3 connections to the …To help with your understanding the 3 connections to the live/neutral/earth are most likely supply in, to the boiler and to the pump.I agree with moneybag's comment - and also refix on the actual relocation of cables.The wiring is in a bit of a mess - you appear to have a nipped live cable and have an unterminated blue cable - if you are going to get someone in it could do with a tidy up!

Yeah, the wiring is a mess.

There is one blue cable cable that has just been clipped off, as well as a white cable that has been clipped off - I don't know what these are.

The current thermostat isn't flush to the wall and you can see the cavity behind it, but some of the cables aren't long enough that the nest unit would sit in line with the other electrics. I bought a double blanking plate in case it can't be 'prettied up'.

sicklysweet4 h, 34 m ago

Would you say a plumber or electrician would be more suited to an …Would you say a plumber or electrician would be more suited to an installation?!

i find that these two trades are very different, so much so that no one does both that are competent at both. you need a competent electrician, not just someone who knows about electrics and he will unlikely be able to do competent plumbing work.

just my experience from employing trades people.

electricians charge a lot more for their time than a plumber as well so it will not be cost effective to get an electrician to do plumbing. electricians have to study longer to qualify and also the study is more technical than plumbing, so harder to qualify.

no doubt plumbers will come along and dispute my comments
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions