Nest Thermostat

Found 28th Sep 2017
I've been thinking a lot about getting a Nest Thermostat for my home, but I can't justify the cost. I'm roughly spending £400 per year on heating (including water heating) and I'm rarely at home, living alone. My flat is very well insulated.

The heating system is quite slow and takes some time to warm up the place, so having something smart that would trigger it when I head home would be convenient. I'm thinking either to wait for Black Friday or possibly go for anther thermostat maker. I couldn't find any good deal on eBay.

Any other suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I have quite a few smart appliances at home controlled by my phone and Alexa - so I like my gadgets! However I've decided not to go for a smart central heating system as like you I cannot justify the cost for the limited benefits - I spend about £500/year on gas.

We have a repeatable schedule so are in/out at the same times most days so very rarely need to change the heating schedules.

If you really do want some distant control of your system what about the basic Hive system from Toolstation for just £60?? toolstation.com/sho…ive
You can get a nest from one of the tradespeople on the nest website. They will install it as well for £249. Installation alone will add on about £80 to the retail price
I got the wave, you have to have a compatible boiler though!
Before you pay for Installation google "Replace [Make current Thermostat] with a nest" can save you a chunk of money and its extremely easy to fit.
you will need to check this is ok with your landlord
Netatmo - just had one installed with my new boiler, although I haven't set up any timers yet I don't think I'll need to, I can switch it on remotely via the app before I head off from work so that it's nice and toasty by the time I get in

You can actually just replace your current one by yourself - it only needs a live and and Earth(or neutral can't remember which).
I bought mine off Amazon, currently it's £130, apparently it also works with Alexa.
Bigfootpete11 h, 12 m ago

Netatmo - just had one installed with my new boiler, although I haven't …Netatmo - just had one installed with my new boiler, although I haven't set up any timers yet I don't think I'll need to, I can switch it on remotely via the app before I head off from work so that it's nice and toasty by the time I get in You can actually just replace your current one by yourself - it only needs a live and and Earth(or neutral can't remember which).I bought mine off Amazon, currently it's £130, apparently it also works with Alexa.

I thought they needed 3 wires? Live, neutral and call for.heat?
Re the Netatmo connections... has some flexibility. You have 2 boxes, thermostat and relay, either can connect to the boiler. You can connect the relay box directly to the boiler, which requires live and neutral, and two wires for the call for heat. Thermostat is then completely wireless. Mine's setup this way. I'm almost sure there is a way to connect needing only one of the call wires but I wasn't clear on this, and didn't need it anyway.

Alternatively if you already have a wired thermostat on the wall, you can connect the thermostat in place of this, requiring only the two call for heat wires (the thermostat will make or break the connection between them). The relay then clips to a plug adaptor thing (supplied) which you can plug in anywhere and will just provide the wireless link to your router.

Really happy with mine; it doesn't learn your routine or have presence detection etc but it does learn how long it takes to heat the house so dependent upon current temperatures it knows when it needs to come on to reach your target, which has been working well for me.

The thermostat requires batteries in either configuration but i'm still on the first set after 2.5yrs.

Doesn't have the geo-fencing capability directly in order to begin heating as you approach but it is compatible with IFTTT so you can set up a zone to trigger when you enter - haven't tried this myself for this purpose but I have for others and found it very unreliable.
There's also Hive heating. We have one, but I don't think it saves us a lot. We don't have our heating on a timer though, we just put it on when we get up and then set the thermostat for the day at 20 and leave it at that. If it gets too hot, we turn it down to 18 for a bit. The one time it did save us a load was when we went away and forgot to turn the heating off.

It probably costs us more as we now turn the heating on remotely when we're coming back from being away in the winter an hour or so before we get home so the heating is actually on for longer

That said, the convenience is well worth it, especially with Alexa
craigstephens12 h, 58 m ago

I thought they needed 3 wires? Live, neutral and call for.heat?

I have no idea how it actually communicates with the boiler - the thermostat only has two connections, and the relay goes next to the router, but it works so that's good enough for me.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 29th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants