Nest vs Ring

Posted 23rd Oct
Hello people
does anyone have any preference over the ring or nest doorbells and home security?
currently have a ring doorbell pro but tempted by the nest
any nest users having issues with their devices?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
If you want to use Nest Aware then you MUST have decent fibre BB. Otherwise Nest will "eat" all your upload bandwidth and leave you with useless internet.
senukas23/10/2019 16:46

If you want to use Nest Aware then you MUST have decent fibre BB. …If you want to use Nest Aware then you MUST have decent fibre BB. Otherwise Nest will "eat" all your upload bandwidth and leave you with useless internet.

I have the max virgin media plan 🤙🏾 so should be fine
If you own any smart home devices, consider compatibility with the ecosystem. Ring is owned by Amazon so if you have Alexa devices such as Echo, it's best to stick with that. If you have or intend to have Google Assistant products such as Nest Hub then, as Google owns Nest, it is best to switch to Nest. I don't believe Nest works with Alexa and I doubt Ring will continue to have Google Assistant support (even in its current, limited form).
Edited by: "jamie15" 23rd Oct
I have VM broadband unlimited along with several nest cameras and love the always recording feature.
jamie1523/10/2019 19:40

If you own any smart home devices, consider compatibility with the …If you own any smart home devices, consider compatibility with the ecosystem. Ring is owned by Amazon so if you have Alexa devices such as Echo, it's best to stick with that. If you have or intend to have Google Assistant products such as Nest Hub then, as Google owns Nest, it is best to switch to Nest. I don't believe Nest works with Alexa and I doubt Ring will continue to have Google Assistant support (even in its current, limited form).

The NEST themostat works with Alexa.
redserpent23/10/2019 19:53

The NEST themostat works with Alexa.

It does but with the Works With Nest program being shut down and migrated to Works With Google Assistant it's best to use Google Assistant for Nest products.
These smart door bells are very popular round my way as they can usually be removed easily by passing scallys (with their caps and hoods pulled down). If you want such an item head for eBay or your local boot sale!
StudentGrant23/10/2019 22:57

These smart door bells are very popular round my way as they can usually …These smart door bells are very popular round my way as they can usually be removed easily by passing scallys (with their caps and hoods pulled down). If you want such an item head for eBay or your local boot sale!

We had a very cheap, rubbish pound shop doorbell with a chime that was inside the house. It was a stick on doorbell. Within a few weeks it was gone.

I fail to understand the popularity of expensive smart doorbells. The only real reason to have it is to see if there is anyone dodgy at the door, but if there was they'd take the doorbell and would know you have the money to spend on stuff like this, making you more of a target. In my area this doorbell would be gone by the next day!
jamie1523/10/2019 19:40

If you own any smart home devices, consider compatibility with the …If you own any smart home devices, consider compatibility with the ecosystem. Ring is owned by Amazon so if you have Alexa devices such as Echo, it's best to stick with that. If you have or intend to have Google Assistant products such as Nest Hub then, as Google owns Nest, it is best to switch to Nest. I don't believe Nest works with Alexa and I doubt Ring will continue to have Google Assistant support (even in its current, limited form).

i have tried to use phillips hue with google and it doesnt seem to work :/ is that part of amazon?
Also I would prefer google anyways because i feel safer with google over amazon
jamie1523/10/2019 23:10

We had a very cheap, rubbish pound shop doorbell with a chime that was …We had a very cheap, rubbish pound shop doorbell with a chime that was inside the house. It was a stick on doorbell. Within a few weeks it was gone. I fail to understand the popularity of expensive smart doorbells. The only real reason to have it is to see if there is anyone dodgy at the door, but if there was they'd take the doorbell and would know you have the money to spend on stuff like this, making you more of a target. In my area this doorbell would be gone by the next day!

Perhaps networked Mini CCTV camera with infra-red inside front- facing Window and looking out, or similar mounted high on exterior wall... Or cctv doorbell mounted INSIDE the door to replace existing spyhole/doorbell (I have YALE version, but it eats batteries).
StudentGrant24/10/2019 13:11

Perhaps networked Mini CCTV camera with infra-red inside front- facing …Perhaps networked Mini CCTV camera with infra-red inside front- facing Window and looking out, or similar mounted high on exterior wall... Or cctv doorbell mounted INSIDE the door to replace existing spyhole/doorbell (I have YALE version, but it eats batteries).

Don't have a doorbell. I was looking into mounting a camera but not a priority for now
harji1234524/10/2019 07:54

i have tried to use phillips hue with google and it doesnt seem to work :/ …i have tried to use phillips hue with google and it doesnt seem to work :/ is that part of amazon?Also I would prefer google anyways because i feel safer with google over amazon

Philips Hue is not owned by either. Pretty sure Hue is compatible with both.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants