Net for vegetables

Posted 1st Aug
Hi,

I’m looking for a net to cover up the cabbage and broccoli we are growing.

I’ve been looking online and it seems a bit expensive when I only need a small bit.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells it cheap or other alternatives?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Try Wish or eBay.
Wilkinsons?
This would be why I don't grow cabbage and broccoli
Nothing eats spinach and you could argue there is a reason for that
Kale and purple sprouting get eaten early on but the plants survive for the spring.
Wongy11001/08/2020 22:13

This would be why I don't grow cabbage and broccoli Nothing eats spinach …This would be why I don't grow cabbage and broccoli Nothing eats spinach and you could argue there is a reason for that Kale and purple sprouting get eaten early on but the plants survive for the spring.

Haha don’t think I’d like spinach. Nothing seems to touch the lettuce or beans.
harlzter01/08/2020 21:30

Is £5.50 too expensive?

No that would be good but I think the holes might be too large. I think it’s white butterfly’s laying eggs
Lauraaa01/08/2020 22:28

Haha don’t think I’d like spinach. Nothing seems to touch the lettuce or be …Haha don’t think I’d like spinach. Nothing seems to touch the lettuce or beans.

oh the slugs and snail do

I used to say that about spinach but it is so easy and pretty
Lauraaa01/08/2020 22:29

No that would be good but I think the holes might be too large. I think …No that would be good but I think the holes might be too large. I think it’s white butterfly’s laying eggs

The do smaller pieces too you dont have to lay it how fully stretched, the hole size depends on how far you stretch it.
Empty onion bags free from your local green grocers.
Cabbage and broccoli are dirt cheap why would you bother to grow your own? Fillet steak on the other hand is expensive so why don't you shove a cow in your garden/allotment?
666FU02/08/2020 08:22

Cabbage and broccoli are dirt cheap why would you bother to grow your own? …Cabbage and broccoli are dirt cheap why would you bother to grow your own? Fillet steak on the other hand is expensive so why don't you shove a cow in your garden/allotment?

With all the hassle I do sometimes think why did I bother but it’s so nice for the kids to watch grow and even better to test what you’ve grown. I think a cow might be harder work
fattyflumpalump02/08/2020 05:25

https://www.fabricland.co.uk/product/polyester-dress-net-fabric/

Lovely, thank you! I can also pick a colour to match my pots 🙈
Lauraaa02/08/2020 08:25

With all the hassle I do sometimes think why did I bother but it’s so nice …With all the hassle I do sometimes think why did I bother but it’s so nice for the kids to watch grow and even better to test what you’ve grown. I think a cow might be harder work

When my two was little they hated veg unless we had grown it or it came from granddad's garden then they loved it. Out of season I used to buy supermarket veg and put a bit of soil on the bottom before placing it in the veg plot making sure to let them see me cut it out the ground. Carrots was easier as I could just push them into the soil of the barrel planter I used and someone on the local allotments sold "dirty" carrots.
harlzter02/08/2020 11:16

When my two was little they hated veg unless we had grown it or it came … When my two was little they hated veg unless we had grown it or it came from granddad's garden then they loved it. Out of season I used to buy supermarket veg and put a bit of soil on the bottom before placing it in the veg plot making sure to let them see me cut it out the ground. Carrots was easier as I could just push them into the soil of the barrel planter I used and someone on the local allotments sold "dirty" carrots.

Haha that’s so funny!! The things we do to get our kids to eat Bet they give it funny now.
Lauraaa02/08/2020 11:34

Haha that’s so funny!! The things we do to get our kids to eat Bet t …Haha that’s so funny!! The things we do to get our kids to eat Bet they give it funny now.

They are 14 and 17 now and love it when I do a good roast with pikes of veg.

Bolognese used to get carrots, parsnip and apple grated in and they never knew.

They didn't like Brussel sprouts but when we grew baby cabbages they loved them I even made a fake seed package for them to plant them from.

They think it's funny now what we used to do to get them to eat veg.
Sounds like you did a great job My 2 have been eating home grown courgettes which I’m surprised about! Do you still frown your own?
Lauraaa02/08/2020 12:26

Sounds like you did a great job My 2 have been eating home grown …Sounds like you did a great job My 2 have been eating home grown courgettes which I’m surprised about! Do you still frown your own?

I permanently frown We dont have much garden space now we have moved so we mostly just grow salad leaves and constantly have fresh baby salad leaves grown in old washing machine drums(from seed to eat is only a couple of weeks) throughout the summer to put in wraps and a couple of tomato plants, then the kitchen windowsill has things like chives, parsley etc.
666FU02/08/2020 08:22

Cabbage and broccoli are dirt cheap why would you bother to grow your own? …Cabbage and broccoli are dirt cheap why would you bother to grow your own? Fillet steak on the other hand is expensive so why don't you shove a cow in your garden/allotment?

You should get yourself a sheep to keep in the back yard, it can eat the grass and keep it nice and neat without you needing to mow it. At Easter you can slaughter it and have a nice spit roast for you and the extended family, perfect way to teach kids about the circle of life.
Post a comment
@
    Text