Netbook - XP home or Windows 7 starter

Found 21st Nov 2009
The netbook I have finally settled on, toshiba NB200, comes with either operating system for not much difference in price. Which would be the better one to go for - the netbook is upgradable to 2Gb ram.

9 Comments

win 7......stick to the future....

windows 7 starter has limitations it doesnt have full features and you can only run 3 applications at once so if your a multitasker stick to xp also doesnt include media player

I'm running win7 enterprise from work on my netbook and its very capable - It depends on how many apps you want to run - I would suggest 7 is the future, but starter seems to be too restrictive.

Alternatively run Linux on it instead!

Original Poster

I understood the 3 apps restriction has been lifted but thanks for pointing out about the media player - though I tend to favour VLC as that usually plays everything I throw at it.
If I can partition the hard drive I will certainly try linux on it - I like Ubuntu best but thought I would try Moblin.

I didnt realise that restriction had been lifted - haven't really focused on the basic Win7 editions.

Fedora comes with a moblin spin that can be installed on top of the base install - its basic and needs work but its going in a good direction - alternatively look at ubuntu netbook remix - My stepson has that and finds it pretty good.

SusieM;6959166

I understood the 3 apps restriction has been lifted but thanks for … I understood the 3 apps restriction has been lifted but thanks for pointing out about the media player - though I tend to favour VLC as that usually plays everything I throw at it.If I can partition the hard drive I will certainly try linux on it - I like Ubuntu best but thought I would try Moblin.

ahh sorry didnt realise that it had been lifted, im with you bout VLC tho

strangely the big thing that put me off bout windows 7 starter was a silly lil thing but the inability to change the desktop background lol

Original Poster

Know what you mean about the background - that was the main thing putting me off too - though there must be some one out there who has found a way around this. Is it too obvious just to find the file and substiture another picture?

windows 7 is supposed to be more compatable than XP.

SusieM;6959321

Know what you mean about the background - that was the main thing putting … Know what you mean about the background - that was the main thing putting me off too - though there must be some one out there who has found a way around this. Is it too obvious just to find the file and substiture another picture?

apparantly you can get around it with 3rd party programs like stardock.com/pro…rs/
Post a comment
@
    Text