Groups

Netbook - XP home or Windows 7 starter

The netbook I have finally settled on, toshiba NB200, comes with either operating system for not much difference in price. Which would be the better one to go for - the netbook is upgradable to 2Gb ram.

9 Comments

win 7......stick to the future....

windows 7 starter has limitations it doesnt have full features and you can only run 3 applications at once so if your a multitasker stick to xp also doesnt include media player

I'm running win7 enterprise from work on my netbook and its very capable - It depends on how many apps you want to run - I would suggest 7 is the future, but starter seems to be too restrictive.

Alternatively run Linux on it instead!

Original Poster

I understood the 3 apps restriction has been lifted but thanks for pointing out about the media player - though I tend to favour VLC as that usually plays everything I throw at it.
    If I can partition the hard drive I will certainly try linux on it - I like Ubuntu best but thought I would try Moblin.

I didnt realise that restriction had been lifted - haven't really focused on the basic Win7 editions.

Fedora comes with a moblin spin that can be installed on top of the base install - its basic and needs work but its going in a good direction - alternatively look at ubuntu netbook remix - My stepson has that and finds it pretty good.

SusieM;6959166

I understood the 3 apps restriction has been lifted but thanks for … I understood the 3 apps restriction has been lifted but thanks for pointing out about the media player - though I tend to favour VLC as that usually plays everything I throw at it.If I can partition the hard drive I will certainly try linux on it - I like Ubuntu best but thought I would try Moblin.

ahh sorry didnt realise that it had been lifted, im with you bout VLC tho

strangely the big thing that put me off bout windows 7 starter was a silly lil thing but the inability to change the desktop background lol

Original Poster

Know what you mean about the background - that was the main thing putting me off too - though there must be some one out there who has found a way around this. Is it too obvious just to find the file and substiture another picture?

windows 7 is supposed to be more compatable than XP.

SusieM;6959321

Know what you mean about the background - that was the main thing putting … Know what you mean about the background - that was the main thing putting me off too - though there must be some one out there who has found a way around this. Is it too obvious just to find the file and substiture another picture?

apparantly you can get around it with 3rd party programs like stardock.com/pro…rs/
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon S&S price fix question22
      2. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?33
      3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?11
      4. Three connection45

See more discussions