Netflix??

Posted 21st Sep
What’s the cheapest way to add Netflix to a none smart tv? I’ve an old 42” tv in the bedroom I watch occasionally so wanna watch my Netflix on it nothing else, fire sticks cost £30 and now tv sticks £20, is there a cheaper way?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
I already have Netflix I’m just looking to get it in the bedroom..
Now TV box has the Netflix app (I think)
Brand new around £20 or eBay a tenner
Chrome cast £13 off ebay..
You will need smart phone to control it.
Edited by: "wayners" 21st Sep
wayners21/09/2019 16:23

Chrome cast £13 off ebay..You will need smart phone to control it.

Provided the old TV has the right ports, I suppose.
bozo00721/09/2019 16:26

Provided the old TV has the right ports, I suppose.

I guess..must have a have an hdmi port being a 42 inch? Even if very old
Yeah it’s got hdmi etc I used fire sticks in it but mrs thinks she threw them all away and I’ve no need for kodi or anything on it, it’s just really for the occasional movie in bed which is rare hence looking for cheapest option. The £7.50 now tv sticks in Asda would of been perfect if the closest one wasn’t 70 miles away
wayners21/09/2019 16:23

Chrome cast £13 off ebay..You will need smart phone to control it.

Does Chromecast have Netflix app or does it cast Netflix from my iPhone?
toonsquirel21/09/2019 16:33

Does Chromecast have Netflix app or does it cast Netflix from my iPhone?

Casts from your phone/iPad etc
You cast anything from phone to chrome cast..YouTube. Netflix. Amazon video etc. Phone is just a remote control for most things as chrome cast picks feed up and takes over saving your phone from doing the work..That's my understanding. So yes at the start kind of but no when it gets going.. Maybe others can confirm. Works with iPhone. If Netflix is on phone your good to go without login in and out devices. No apps on a chrome cast. It's a streaming device picking up feed from phone / phones on wifi network...what is this magic you ask? Me to but it works..simple to
Edited by: "wayners" 21st Sep
Looking on eBay there’s loads of unbranded ones £10 maybe I’ll try it and if they don’t work as well as fire stick I’ll pick one up on Black Friday day for the usual £20ish deal they always have.
If your sole purpose is for Netflix, the get a used Now TV stick. At least you get a remote.
toonsquirel21/09/2019 16:41

Looking on eBay there’s loads of unbranded ones £10 maybe I’ll try it and i …Looking on eBay there’s loads of unbranded ones £10 maybe I’ll try it and if they don’t work as well as fire stick I’ll pick one up on Black Friday day for the usual £20ish deal they always have.

Cash Converters have NowTV boxes and sticks for £10
I used one on holiday where there was a chrome cast already paired with wifi plugged in tv. I logged in cottage wifi on phone when I arrived to surf net. Later that night i started a film on Amazon on phone, then tapped the cast icon. It then appeared on TV and we watched film. That's it.
wayners21/09/2019 16:54

I used one on holiday where there was a chrome cast already paired with …I used one on holiday where there was a chrome cast already paired with wifi plugged in tv. I logged in cottage wifi on phone when I arrived to surf net. Later that night i started a film on Amazon on phone, then tapped the cast icon. It then appeared on TV and we watched film. That's it.

Probably a good idea then since I’ve also got prime. Does anyone know if Asda still have the nov tv sticks for £7.50? I live nowhere near but mother in law does so can send her if it’s still on offer
Do you have a PS4 or Xbox One console in the house? You can get the Netflix app on them both.
You can also get a cable to connect phone to TV(hdmi) of which i have used and works well (usb c - hdmi) cost a couple of quid. However I prefer the Chromecast options
Haircut_10021/09/2019 17:02

Do you have a PS4 or Xbox One console in the house? You can get the …Do you have a PS4 or Xbox One console in the house? You can get the Netflix app on them both.

Yeah but all downstairs and in kids rooms not got one spare maybe it’s on Nintendo wii u that’s spare
toonsquirel21/09/2019 18:59

Yeah but all downstairs and in kids rooms not got one spare maybe it’s on N …Yeah but all downstairs and in kids rooms not got one spare maybe it’s on Nintendo wii u that’s spare

A lot of those kind of services were taken off the Wii U, actually I don't think that Netflix was even ever on there. As said above, a cheap Now TV stick or box is going to be your cheapest way to do it. If you order this Now TV Smart Stick for example for £19.95 from Amazon you'll get a 1 Month Movie Pass, a 1 Month Entertainment Pass, and a 1 Day Sky Sport Passall included with it, so as well as being able to access the Netflix App you want you could save the other passes until Christmas and then knock yourself out on all the movies you can watch.
Haircut_10021/09/2019 19:05

A lot of those kind of services were taken off the Wii U, actually I don't …A lot of those kind of services were taken off the Wii U, actually I don't think that Netflix was even ever on there. As said above, a cheap Now TV stick or box is going to be your cheapest way to do it. If you order this Now TV Smart Stick for example for £19.95 from Amazon you'll get a 1 Month Movie Pass, a 1 Month Entertainment Pass, and a 1 Day Sky Sport Passall included with it, so as well as being able to access the Netflix App you want you could save the other passes until Christmas and then knock yourself out on all the movies you can watch.

Yeah think I’ll just get that, doesn’t seem anything much cheaper and at least that’s new and has the passes as a bonus
Get a you view box will have Netflix and more apps.
As you say you have prime as well thers no prime app on now tv stick, but firestick has netflix/prime app.
Edited by: "fearona" 22nd Sep
fearona22/09/2019 12:38

As you say you have prime as well thers no prime app on now tv stick, but …As you say you have prime as well thers no prime app on now tv stick, but firestick has netflix/prime app.

lol yeah I went to buy the £20 now tv stick last night and saw it’s missing prime app so didn’t bother, you view boxes are similar price to fire stick so I’m just gonna wait for a decent deal on fire stick at least it has all I need and I can side load kodi as a bonus.
Get a Roku stick, it's what the nowtv boxes/sticks are based on only without all the branding and advertising.
joedastudd22/09/2019 14:08

Get a Roku stick, it's what the nowtv boxes/sticks are based on only …Get a Roku stick, it's what the nowtv boxes/sticks are based on only without all the branding and advertising.

I looked at them but they are same price as fire stick so fire stick seems better option
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants