Netflix cracks down on sharing passwords

Posted 17th Mar 2022
Streaming service tests technology that asks customers to pay more if it detects multiple addresses logging into the same account

Account sharing may be over after the streaming giant said it would ask customers who share their password with other households to pay extra.
It is testing technology that will ask subscribers to pay an extra fee if it detects people at multiple addresses logging in to the same account.

Netflix said it would soon start testing new features that let subscribers pay to add “sub accounts” for up to two people they do not live with.
It is testing the changes in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru, with the extra accounts costing 30 to 40pc of a basic membership.
In the UK, a charge of £2.99 a month would mean a subscriber on Netflix’s most expensive plan paying £21.97 a month for two people living elsewhere.

Netflix said people sharing accounts while living apart meant it could afford to spend less on production.

Will this make you cancel Netflix?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

153 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    jon81uk17/03/2022 10:55

tV license can only be used at one address as well though.You can still …tV license can only be used at one address as well though.You can still join and cancel at will, don't have to have Netlix and Disney all the time, can alternate.

That is actually incorrect, your tv licence covers you to watch live tv or tv on any device while you are away from your home.
  2. Avatar
    This will likely push people back towards piracy if they force people off their platform.

I use to be a massive torrenter but then found the VPN route and decided it was better to pay a little something back.

I imagine a lot actually share the cost when they share accounts and wouldn't be willing to carry the burden alone.

They might end up costing themselves subs if they push too hard.
  3. Avatar
    dipsylalapo17/03/2022 10:04

Hypothetical, my son has a profile on my account but stays regularly with …Hypothetical, my son has a profile on my account but stays regularly with my in laws during school holidays and uses Netflix there. Is that against the useage and would I be charged extra for that?

You're going to jail, I'm afraid. And your in-laws possibly...
  4. Avatar
    Conkers81620/03/2022 07:38

Pay £6 a month for newsgroups of £3 a month for Netflix via Turkey .. h …Pay £6 a month for newsgroups of £3 a month for Netflix via Turkey .. hhmmmm

No, it's £6 for 1TB of data (eg 500 films) with no expiry date

ooogemaflip20/03/2022 14:15

who still uses Kodi hahaha I used to be Fanriffic in the Kodi scene

I do. Its the best media player by far on a firestick (edited)
  5. Avatar
    EN1GMA20/03/2022 17:20

Anyone know best way to update cc details on Turkish account so if old …Anyone know best way to update cc details on Turkish account so if old card expires, new card will auto take its place?Can you have multiple payment cards on the account? If so, think I read you add the new card, then remove old card before it expires and that should be a streamless transition between both payment cardsIt's all good so long as you can share.

Add your new card as your backup payment method then delete the preferred payment method and the new card will default to preferred.
    rapid8520/03/2022 17:28

How do you manage it with Spotify? I thought your payment card had to be …How do you manage it with Spotify? I thought your payment card had to be issued in the country of payment? I.e not just a vpn blag.

Spotify closed the loophole years ago. Anyone lucky enough to get in before then seems to still be going but it can't be done now. The cheapest way is to start a family plan and get other people to join you.
  6. Avatar
    B_Marvel17/03/2022 11:26

This will likely push people back towards piracy if they force people off …This will likely push people back towards piracy if they force people off their platform. I use to be a massive torrenter but then found the VPN route and decided it was better to pay a little something back. I imagine a lot actually share the cost when they share accounts and wouldn't be willing to carry the burden alone. They might end up costing themselves subs if they push too hard.

This is me as well, Since the introduction of "affordable" streaming services that do not tie you down to long contracts I have hardly used any of those "free streaming" sites or torrents. Preferring to wait for movies to hit Disney/Netflix etc and watching them legit!

However if prices become too inflated to the point that I feel its no longer good value for money I will most likely cancel and rethink how and what I spend my money and spare time on.

We currently have sky also, which I will most likely end once contract is up, this will also enable us to finally get rid of the TV license as we will stick purely to streaming services. My children hardly watch tv anymore, they are happy with youtube most of the time.
  7. Avatar
    I'm cancelling and moving to Turkey!
  8. Avatar
    anlygi17/03/2022 18:28

Second price rise in 18 months, now a crackdown on sharing? Trying to …Second price rise in 18 months, now a crackdown on sharing? Trying to compensate for slowing growth by fleecing current customers is not a great strategy. They also waste far too much money, like dud originals which end up being cancelled after 1 series and $200m on Red Notice! I don't know how much Netflix pay studios for the rights to put their films on, but I imagine $200m would have licensed a fair amount of films much better than Red Notice. They do churn out the odd gem, but the waste is obscene.If they keep up with their current attitude towards paying customers, it's only a matter of time before slowing growth is the least of their worries.

I’d never pay full price for Netflix, I agree there are some good shows on there but when they’re done your limited. Problem I have with Netflix is out of all the streaming platforms they’re the ones with the worst bit rate. Yet charge through the nose for their UHD package.
  9. Avatar
    Just saw a Netflix detector van outside, I shut my curtains, now what they gonna do
  10. Avatar
    I'll be cancelling as struggle to find anything worth watching on there these days.

£3.66 per month for a uhd share is just about worth it.
  11. Avatar
    speckle18/03/2022 18:32

Yup. It's too expensive for a single person, for sure. We share different …Yup. It's too expensive for a single person, for sure. We share different platforms as a family. And contribute depending

The single person who wants HDR is massively, massively, ripped off - being forced to pay for 4 screens when they only want one. It stinks.
  12. Avatar
    B_Marvel17/03/2022 11:26

This will likely push people back towards piracy if they force people off …This will likely push people back towards piracy if they force people off their platform. I use to be a massive torrenter but then found the VPN route and decided it was better to pay a little something back. I imagine a lot actually share the cost when they share accounts and wouldn't be willing to carry the burden alone. They might end up costing themselves subs if they push too hard.

Aye, Jim lad
  13. Avatar
    Reading the t&c it’s not something they’d be able to enforce. You can watch at any location as long as there is member of your household there, would be impossible for them to tell who is in your household and whether they are regularly present at another location I.e. kids at university. Even with your IP address, it’s a stretch that they’d get the physical address from you isp and turn up at your door to prove nobody from your household was there. Think they are just using the “magic detector van” fear to get people to pay more.
  14. Avatar
    Ben1018/03/2022 18:51

If Netflix are doing do this it will not be long before all others start …If Netflix are doing do this it will not be long before all others start to do it IE Sky, Amazon, BT, WWE

People will cancel. £150 month for all the services and mobile? None of them are essential
  15. Avatar
    KongDonkey19/03/2022 17:23

I'm returning to the Newsgroups. Caned those back in the day.Better than …I'm returning to the Newsgroups. Caned those back in the day.Better than torrents I felt.

Keep an eye on newsgroupdirect as they often do 1TB of SSL data for £6.
  16. Avatar
    In my mind, charging £16 for their monthly UHD subscription (£192 p.a., about £33 more than the BBC licence fee) surely has to already account for families and friends sharing subscriptions.

The whole streaming thing started with the justification of 'choice' for consumers, where there were a number of cheap subscriptions that you could mix and match, join and cancel at will, to overall create a package of content that better suited your tastes than broad brush, expensive satellite packages. Now each of the streaming services are moving towards wanting to charge as much as the old satellite packages for their limited selection of content.
  17. Avatar
    Back to Kodi for everyone...
  18. Avatar
    Gollywood17/03/2022 10:06

You're going to jail, I'm afraid. And your in-laws possibly...

The worst part of that is that I wouldn't even be able to use my Netflix in HMP because of this
  19. Avatar
    Second price rise in 18 months, now a crackdown on sharing? Trying to compensate for slowing growth by fleecing current customers is not a great strategy.

They also waste far too much money, like dud originals which end up being cancelled after 1 series and $200m on Red Notice! I don't know how much Netflix pay studios for the rights to put their films on, but I imagine $200m would have licensed a fair amount of films much better than Red Notice. They do churn out the odd gem, but the waste is obscene.

If they keep up with their current attitude towards paying customers, it's only a matter of time before slowing growth is the least of their worries.
  20. Avatar
    groenleader17/03/2022 07:30

G O L D E N ! !They should take action over public groups and websites …G O L D E N ! !They should take action over public groups and websites where people can advertise to "share memeberships too".

Why? You pay for x amount of screens, it should be upto the individual how these are used.
  21. Avatar
    Im slowly running out of things to watch on netflix... so if they did ask us to pay more, tempted to cancel for sure
  22. Avatar
    Yep ths will just make me dip n and out of subscription to 6 months a year instead of 12 months and maybe try some others and loose me altogether , so they will get less money from me they are practically going to shoot themselves in the foot if they go ahead, don't rock the boat too much arrrh (edited)
  23. Avatar
    So will they stop us watching Netflix on our mobiles if we are out n about ?
  24. Avatar
    So if I visit my parents for a few weeks, and I use my login to watch Nflx, on their TV, I'd get charged?
    Hmm... dunno about that. Things were perfect a few years ago before everyone wanted a piece of the stream-pie.
  25. Avatar
    G O L D E N ! !

They should take action over public groups and websites where people can advertise to "share memeberships too". (edited)
  26. Avatar
    Is it not better to have two share than two people who wouldn’t be paying anything .

They mite lose alot of
    Subs this way
  27. Avatar
    dipsylalapo17/03/2022 10:04

Hypothetical, my son has a profile on my account but stays regularly with …Hypothetical, my son has a profile on my account but stays regularly with my in laws during school holidays and uses Netflix there. Is that against the useage and would I be charged extra for that?

Exactly what I was thinking, My children live at two addresses but use my account.
  28. Avatar
    They let people pay more if using more "screens" so surely they understand what that is? They you make multiple accounts for different people on it...
    My brother pays full whack for it and gives me access (in exchange for me giving him access to my WWE Network account) but if they start doing this it will definitely put people off. I can't remember the last time I even watched.
  29. Avatar
    My kids at uni use my account I pay for premium I will be cancelling if they start adding extra Sky has just increased prices as well They'd be better off seeing what their regular core customers spend and realising that that is better than nowt
  30. Avatar
    The minute they clamp down will be the minute they lose my custom. I only keep it going so our parents have it too.
  31. Avatar
    How could this work? I have a phone that will be able to connect to my Internet, my works internet, the train WiFi, my family's WiFi. How are they going to know if it is me or not? The device itself? Well I have a laptop and tablet and phone, not to mention pc and smart TV and games console, all with netflix.

The only way I can think to do it is you only allow the profile to be logged in at one location at a time.
  32. Avatar
    Everyone is testing this right now. Netflix is the first one to start market tests.
  33. Avatar
    They were meant to be "cracking down" on VPN's years ago and nothing happened.

I suspect it'll be rolled out mainly in countries where account sharing is rife and it'll likely only affect heavy users as well. I let one other family member use my account who doesn't live at my location and they're a very, very light user as well so I'd be very surprised if anything ever happens.

But then considering the Turkish exchange rate and all that
  34. Avatar
    Immoraliste17/03/2022 09:37

In my mind, charging £16 for their monthly UHD subscription (£192 p.a., a …In my mind, charging £16 for their monthly UHD subscription (£192 p.a., about £33 more than the BBC licence fee) surely has to already account for families and friends sharing subscriptions.The whole streaming thing started with the justification of 'choice' for consumers, where there were a number of cheap subscriptions that you could mix and match, join and cancel at will, to overall create a package of content that better suited your tastes than broad brush, expensive satellite packages. Now each of the streaming services are moving towards wanting to charge as much as the old satellite packages for their limited selection of content.

tV license can only be used at one address as well though.

You can still join and cancel at will, don't have to have Netlix and Disney all the time, can alternate.
  35. Avatar
    What about my daughter who lives at home but uses Netflicks when she away with her jb on BA
  36. Avatar
    Yes. Little on these streaming site after you have done the classics, new shows are poor.
  37. Avatar
    I regularly look after a neighbours house and use their wi-fi to watch things on my laptop or tablet. I will not be paying any more to do this.
  38. Avatar
    Netflix sound desperate, how will it work if you’re using the account at home and the office at the same time?

clarkydpimp18/03/2022 14:10

Your TV license covers you at other addresses as well

I thought people dropped their tv licence and landline over a decade ago(confused) (edited)
  39. Avatar
    Couple of quid for Netflix pales in comparison to other increases. Some will leave, and some will pay the increased cost to offset the leavers.

It's funny really, so many have flaunted the rules and when Netflix wants you to abide by them, then people get angry
Top Merchants