Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days

Lead deal editor24
Posted 19th Mar
For those with Netflix, they're struggling with demand so are cutting streaming quality for the next 30 days.

Will they give a discount? Time will tell but no word right now.

Free Netflix upgrade for 30 days on signup (New customers - selected accounts)

Looking for streaming service? Video Streaming Services - Which one's for you, and what do they offer?

Netflix will reduce the video quality on its service in Europe for the next 30 days, to reduce the strain on internet service providers.

Demand for streaming has increased because large parts of Europe are self-isolating at home due to the coronavirus outbreak,

The video-streaming provider said lowering the picture quality would reduce Netflix data consumption by 25%.

But it said viewers would still find the picture quality good.

Video qualityThe company will cut its streaming bitrates, which influence how clear and smooth videos look when streamed online.

Videos with a higher bitrate tend to look less "blocky" or pixelated, but use more data.

The announcement came after a phone call with European officials.

Thierry Breton, the European Commissioner for the Internal Market, had earlier said people should "switch to standard definition when HD [high-definition] is not necessary".

An hour of standard definition video uses about 1GB of data, while HD can use up to 3GB an hour.

Netflix also offers ultra-high definition 4K video for some of its programmes.

Netflix's decision to reduce video bitrate by a quarter appears to be a compromise.

"Following the discussions between Commissioner Thierry Breton and [Netflix chief executive] Reed Hastings, and given the extraordinary challenges raised by the coronavirus, Netflix has decided to begin reducing bitrates across all our streams in Europe for 30 days," the company said.

Commissioner Breton praised the "very prompt action" Netflix took just hours after the phone call, saying it would "preserve the smooth functioning of the internet during the Covid-19 crisis".

Source
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Will the price be cut as well for those not subscribing for super cheap through VPN?
24 Comments
Will the price be cut as well for those not subscribing for super cheap through VPN?
andrewworrall119/03/2020 19:04

Will the price be cut as well for those not subscribing for super cheap …Will the price be cut as well for those not subscribing for super cheap through VPN?

Well this is the question, i assume they'll do something but totally unknown atm.
andrewworrall119/03/2020 19:04

Will the price be cut as well for those not subscribing for super cheap …Will the price be cut as well for those not subscribing for super cheap through VPN?

It should be cut 25% then
KingNav36019/03/2020 19:11

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

Yep, source is in footer of OP but no harm dropping in comments
Can’t they just open more servers to cope with demand? I’m lucky I use Kodi myself
Dan_8219/03/2020 19:16

Yep, source is in footer of OP but no harm dropping in comments

Dang. Didnt see that, so thought I'd share
KingNav36019/03/2020 20:23

Dang. Didnt see that, so thought I'd share

Honestly it's cool! Rather it twice then not at all 💪
Dan_8219/03/2020 20:25

Honestly it's cool! Rather it twice then not at all 💪

'tis the season to stockpile everything.
I’ve literally just upgraded to the top package about an hour ago.
It’s time they got their sh*t together and did some server upgrades!
...but we aren't in Europe any more?
Westwoodo19/03/2020 20:59

We are still on the European Servers, they won’t create new servers just for the U.K.

Yes we are. We’re not in the EU. They’re not the same thing.
Arto19/03/2020 21:02

We are still on the European Servers, they won’t create new servers just f …We are still on the European Servers, they won’t create new servers just for the U.K.

It was a tongue in cheek remark, i'm aware they won't.
But what are they cutting it from and to. Is it 1080p to 720p or worse or are they losing 4k. A bit more info would be better because if its SD I'm cancelling.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 19th Mar
karlypants19/03/2020 20:54

Just got off chat with them. 4K plans will still stream at 4k, just with reduced bitrate. This means that in terms of quality, the Premium/Ultra HD plans will still offer better quality compared with the other plans.
karlypants19/03/2020 20:54

Just reduce to the lowest tariff next month. I thought there's no contract so you're not locked in so hardly a big loss
40144687-h2Itd.jpg
Netflix aren't struggling with demand - they're doing it to reduce the strain on ISPs across Europe.

The article clearly mentions this. No need to spread misinformation.
Arto19/03/2020 21:02

We are still on the European Servers, they won’t create new servers just f …We are still on the European Servers, they won’t create new servers just for the U.K.

It's got nothing to do with their servers, they're doing it so the internet doesn't grind to a halt across Europe with the increase in isolation and home workers.

What! Yes we are still in Europe. You do know Europe and the European Union are different?.
We haven't left and formed our own continent.
Haha, those saying upgrade the servers have no idea how the internet works. There is finite capacity going down the pipes, if it's all being used on Netflix those working from home trying to keep the economy going won't be able to work because those not working from home are using all the capacity to watch Netflix. It's the right decision but the fallout afterwards needs to be the government finally acknowledges that the old copper network is no longer fit for purpose and get the fibre to the property roll out moving.

I'm rather smugly living in New Zealand where their government did the right thing, fttp internet was rolled out to the majority of the population via government subsidy and it's not even breaking a sweat handling all this extra load. This is actually proving they made the right decision all those years ago to go in big and not back down to VDSL to Dave save money like a lot of governments have done.
Edited by: "everett_psycho" 20th Mar
Even if they are keeping the 4k resolution they should be reducing the price. The quality isnt the same and is noticable
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants