Netflix USA

Posted 13th Jan
We have netflix through sky Q and this appear as an app on the sky Q box, which we can select and watch.

I have also downloaded the Netflix app on to my tablets.

I remember there were discussions about fooling netflix into thinking you are in the USA to get netflix US contents, which are better than the UK site.

Someone suggested that I need to get windscripe VPN. Will this work?

I have never used a VPN before and reading up on it, it seems to imply that once set up, the VPN automatically kicks in whenever you use your internet browser, mine is chrome. Is this right?

Also, are there any problems that I am not aware of when you use a VPN?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley113/01/2020 16:39

how would i find out what is on there without having a VPN?

Google. Just tried it,there are lots of websites that list what's on
25 Comments
Where are you going to be watching Netflix mainly? If it's on the TV you would need to install the VPN on your router or purchase a router purely to run the VPN. I'm not 100% about this though

Only issue I have is the VPN requires me to change back to the UK if I wish to use iPlayer.

@Dannyrobbo could advise maybe, he helped me sort mine.
Edited by: "rogan1791" 13th Jan
both on the tv and on the tablets so the app on the tablet will be fine through the vpn but the sky q box won't work as it need to run off the sky router.

would any VPN work, and i just choose USA as a location, or do i need windscripe as already mentioned?

do you use online banking? would the bank reject the logon if the ISP is foreign? when we were in spain and we logged into yahoo for example, we got the spanish yahoo rather than the uk site.
Do you know what shows specifically you want that aren't on UK Netflix? There are many things on UK Netflix that aren't on the US one and there is also a lot of worldwide content now (most of their originals are). Might be worth checking what you want to watch first before going to all this effort?
I did this recently as wanted to re watch Nikita (loves it years ago) and it’s so easy on devices using the vpn. It’s possible on tv if you’ve either got a tv that can get the Windscribe app, other option is installing the vpn onto the router, that’s something out of my technical knowledge but possible I’ve just never bothered trying it.
jon81uk13/01/2020 16:24

Do you know what shows specifically you want that aren't on UK Netflix? …Do you know what shows specifically you want that aren't on UK Netflix? There are many things on UK Netflix that aren't on the US one and there is also a lot of worldwide content now (most of their originals are). Might be worth checking what you want to watch first before going to all this effort?

i just read threads in the past where people said that US netflix is better than UK netflix. i don't know what is on the US netflix, how would i find out what is on there without having a VPN?
mutley113/01/2020 16:39

how would i find out what is on there without having a VPN?

Google. Just tried it,there are lots of websites that list what's on
toonsquirel13/01/2020 16:38

I did this recently as wanted to re watch Nikita (loves it years ago) and …I did this recently as wanted to re watch Nikita (loves it years ago) and it’s so easy on devices using the vpn. It’s possible on tv if you’ve either got a tv that can get the Windscribe app, other option is installing the vpn onto the router, that’s something out of my technical knowledge but possible I’ve just never bothered trying it.

i will install windscribe on to the tablets and see how it goes. i think when i looked at the windscribe website it is free to have the VPN?

if i install it on to the tablet, it won't affect any other devices that uses the internet right? that is, it won't affect my laptop right?
mutley113/01/2020 18:31

i will install windscribe on to the tablets and see how it goes. i think …i will install windscribe on to the tablets and see how it goes. i think when i looked at the windscribe website it is free to have the VPN? if i install it on to the tablet, it won't affect any other devices that uses the internet right? that is, it won't affect my laptop right?

You need Windscribe’s windflix which is paid for this has dedicated Netflix servers in US, and other countries. Other VPNs will allow you to use Netflix but not many guarantees it will work.

get it from social stack normally lots of offers you can put it anywhere, tablet laptops or even a firestick
Edited by: "eslick" 13th Jan
mutley113/01/2020 18:31

i will install windscribe on to the tablets and see how it goes. i think …i will install windscribe on to the tablets and see how it goes. i think when i looked at the windscribe website it is free to have the VPN? if i install it on to the tablet, it won't affect any other devices that uses the internet right? that is, it won't affect my laptop right?

It’s basically an app that has a switch, you set the country and switch the vpn on, mine isn’t on 99% of the time. If you look in here there was a deal a few months ago for a free Windscribe vpn with measly few hundred mb of data per month, that’s more than enough though to sign up to these deals it’s just not enough to stream content from other countries.
toonsquirel13/01/2020 18:48

It’s basically an app that has a switch, you set the country and switch t …It’s basically an app that has a switch, you set the country and switch the vpn on, mine isn’t on 99% of the time. If you look in here there was a deal a few months ago for a free Windscribe vpn with measly few hundred mb of data per month, that’s more than enough though to sign up to these deals it’s just not enough to stream content from other countries.

i see, so the vpn actually streams the contents through its app. so to get to netflix, i would have to access the netflix app through the VPN app?
No it’s your phone network tells websites etc like Netflix where your based social uk, the vpn acts as a middle man so you set it to say Argentina and what happens is your phone setting change with the vpn so phone thinks it’s in Argentina, but the data goes through the vpn so your still using your uk data but the vpn makes the data look like it’s actually in Argentina. So you can sign up to these deals with free versions as you use maybe 20mb data doing this but if you wanna stream American Netflix your vpn stays on and all the data has to run through it.
All you do in the vpn app is set a county and turn it on/off, nothing else at all is done with the vpn or app.
toonsquirel13/01/2020 18:59

No it’s your phone network tells websites etc like Netflix where your b …No it’s your phone network tells websites etc like Netflix where your based social uk, the vpn acts as a middle man so you set it to say Argentina and what happens is your phone setting change with the vpn so phone thinks it’s in Argentina, but the data goes through the vpn so your still using your uk data but the vpn makes the data look like it’s actually in Argentina. So you can sign up to these deals with free versions as you use maybe 20mb data doing this but if you wanna stream American Netflix your vpn stays on and all the data has to run through it. All you do in the vpn app is set a county and turn it on/off, nothing else at all is done with the vpn or app.

so if i sign up to the free windscribe app that allows 20mb of data a month, then i can't stream netflix as that is not enough data?
mutley113/01/2020 19:07

so if i sign up to the free windscribe app that allows 20mb of data a …so if i sign up to the free windscribe app that allows 20mb of data a month, then i can't stream netflix as that is not enough data?

Yeah that’s right, you can use all these free versions to sign up to say Netflix Argentina to save a load of money. But you need pro versions to stream to use the unlimited data you’ll need while streaming. I’ve even tried turning vpn off as soon as watching the show and it still doesn’t work. You need the vpn on permanently to watch the content from USA.
toonsquirel13/01/2020 19:14

Yeah that’s right, you can use all these free versions to sign up to say N …Yeah that’s right, you can use all these free versions to sign up to say Netflix Argentina to save a load of money. But you need pro versions to stream to use the unlimited data you’ll need while streaming. I’ve even tried turning vpn off as soon as watching the show and it still doesn’t work. You need the vpn on permanently to watch the content from USA.

thanks. i will have a look at the paid ones to see if it is worthwhile.
mutley113/01/2020 19:16

thanks. i will have a look at the paid ones to see if it is worthwhile.

I’d say watch out on here as they all seem to be super expensive but when deals come on can be way cheaper.
toonsquirel13/01/2020 19:17

I’d say watch out on here as they all seem to be super expensive but when d …I’d say watch out on here as they all seem to be super expensive but when deals come on can be way cheaper.

i need windscribe yeah? i have seen other VPN come up on the deals section, but they won't work for netflix right?
and eslick says i need windscripe windflix, which is a specific app i assume.
mutley113/01/2020 19:19

i need windscribe yeah? i have seen other VPN come up on the deals …i need windscribe yeah? i have seen other VPN come up on the deals section, but they won't work for netflix right? and eslick says i need windscripe windflix, which is a specific app i assume.

Yeah I’ve had it 2 years now which I got just for this and had barely any problems. A couple of times the one specifically for it (windflix) has stopped working but I’ve always got one of the normal USA ones to work, there’s about 10-20 different USA ones. Even when windflix hasn’t worked it’s only been for that day and of you google it they’ve said eventually Netflix realises so stop them so Windscribe quickly start another one.
toonsquirel13/01/2020 19:22

Yeah I’ve had it 2 years now which I got just for this and had barely any p …Yeah I’ve had it 2 years now which I got just for this and had barely any problems. A couple of times the one specifically for it (windflix) has stopped working but I’ve always got one of the normal USA ones to work, there’s about 10-20 different USA ones. Even when windflix hasn’t worked it’s only been for that day and of you google it they’ve said eventually Netflix realises so stop them so Windscribe quickly start another one.

thanks. just searched for windscribe deals on here and there have been quite a few, so i will keep an eye out for them in future.
mutley113/01/2020 19:24

thanks. just searched for windscribe deals on here and there have been …thanks. just searched for windscribe deals on here and there have been quite a few, so i will keep an eye out for them in future.

Good idea, personally I paid £8.80 for 3 years when I’ve looked back but I’ve seen lifetime for £25-£30 which I’ll be looking out for when I’m coming into my last year
toonsquirel13/01/2020 19:35

Good idea, personally I paid £8.80 for 3 years when I’ve looked back but I’ …Good idea, personally I paid £8.80 for 3 years when I’ve looked back but I’ve seen lifetime for £25-£30 which I’ll be looking out for when I’m coming into my last year

yeah, they don't sound expensive. i think i would prefer the cheaper option for shorter access as lifetime is a long time and you can't plan that long ahead. for all i know, this time next year i may be dead
Look for the Nord VPN deal as well.
bozo00713/01/2020 19:52

Look for the Nord VPN deal as well.

will that work with netflix?
Considering you clear cookies and logout of all sites every time you leave your pc, a vpn isn't really ideal for you

With a vpn, the owner gets all the data you enter into websites (non https)
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Jan
mutley113/01/2020 20:06

will that work with netflix?

Entirely up to Netflix catching up.
mutley113/01/2020 19:40

for all i know, this time next year i may be dead

Don't say stuff like that
Edited by: "deeky" 13th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions