Netgear N600 issues

Posted 16th Jun 2020
Hi Folks,
My wireless router (Netgear N600) seems to cut out continuously during the day. The internet connect although not the faster seems to work fine as when i plug in an Ethernet cable to the PoE box its connect straight away.
Any advice on a replacement or fix that i can do. I am a total rookie on tech so please be patient with your explanations. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
If I am reading your post right you are saying that the wi fi is cutting out throughout the day but that if you put a cable into the router connected to your computer everything is fine?

If so then something locally can be affecting your wi fi rather than the router being damaged.

Things that can affect wi fi.

1. Out of date or corrupted wifi driver on a PC / laptop. Download the latest one and install.

2. Two of the commonest devices to cause random drop-outs of wifi are microwave ovens and cordless digital landline phones. It could be yours but it could equally be those of a neighbours. Have a read of the below:

lifewire.com/wif…348

3. You could try changing your router from using 2.4Ghz to 5.0 Ghz.

4. Perhaps your wifi is using the same wifi channel number as a neighbour who has a more powerful router or all your neighbours are using the same wifi channel number. Change the wifi channel number to a different one.

For 3 and 4 you have to go into the router settings and change them there usually.
tawse5716/06/2020 18:41

If I am reading your post right you are saying that the wi fi is cutting …If I am reading your post right you are saying that the wi fi is cutting out throughout the day but that if you put a cable into the router connected to your computer everything is fine?If so then something locally can be affecting your wi fi rather than the router being damaged.Things that can affect wi fi.1. Out of date or corrupted wifi driver on a PC / laptop. Download the latest one and install.2. Two of the commonest devices to cause random drop-outs of wifi are microwave ovens and cordless digital landline phones. It could be yours but it could equally be those of a neighbours. Have a read of the below:https://www.lifewire.com/wifi-interfere-with-cordless-phone-39713483. You could try changing your router from using 2.4Ghz to 5.0 Ghz.4. Perhaps your wifi is using the same wifi channel number as a neighbour who has a more powerful router or all your neighbours are using the same wifi channel number. Change the wifi channel number to a different one.For 3 and 4 you have to go into the router settings and change them there usually.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am actually attaching the Ethernet cable directly to the main internet connection not to the router, i’m bypassing the router to see if the incoming internet signal is still working.

We don’t have a PC at home its PS4, ipads and mobile phones.

Thanks for taking the time to reply
terence7316/06/2020 18:50

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am actually attaching the Ethernet cable …Hi, thanks for the reply. I am actually attaching the Ethernet cable directly to the main internet connection not to the router, i’m bypassing the router to see if the incoming internet signal is still working.We don’t have a PC at home its PS4, ipads and mobile phones.Thanks for taking the time to reply

I am not sure what you mean by attaching it to the main internet connection. I suppose it all depends on whether you are on ADSL or cable.

Have you tried another cable or stuck the cable into a different slot? The cable could be damaged.

I have found that ethernet cables on routers break after time. The connectors become worn or the circuity overheats, cools and then breaks. I assume you have tried a new cable in different ports on the router and it still cuts out. Hence you may indeed need a new router.

Anyhow, that is my brain drained of router knowledge. Best of luck against the internet gremlins.
PoE box is power over ethernet, and somewhere there will be another similar box.
searchnetworking.techtarget.com/def…net
It is good that it works and generally is always going to be better than wifi. Is there a reason why you would not use this as your default method of connecting your PS4?
tardytortoise16/06/2020 19:43

PoE box is power over ethernet, and somewhere there will be another …PoE box is power over ethernet, and somewhere there will be another similar box.https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/Power-over-EthernetIt is good that it works and generally is always going to be better than wifi. Is there a reason why you would not use this as your default method of connecting your PS4?

Hi, i should have said the PS4 is in another room and connected by TP link. It is more the wi fi signal cuts out and we are constantly resetting the router to get the wi fi signal on again.
tardytortoise16/06/2020 19:43

PoE box is power over ethernet, and somewhere there will be another …PoE box is power over ethernet, and somewhere there will be another similar box.https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/Power-over-EthernetIt is good that it works and generally is always going to be better than wifi. Is there a reason why you would not use this as your default method of connecting your PS4?

Hi Tardytortoise,
Many thanks for the advice
tawse5716/06/2020 18:58

I am not sure what you mean by attaching it to the main internet …I am not sure what you mean by attaching it to the main internet connection. I suppose it all depends on whether you are on ADSL or cable. Have you tried another cable or stuck the cable into a different slot? The cable could be damaged.I have found that ethernet cables on routers break after time. The connectors become worn or the circuity overheats, cools and then breaks. I assume you have tried a new cable in different ports on the router and it still cuts out. Hence you may indeed need a new router.Anyhow, that is my brain drained of router knowledge. Best of luck against the internet gremlins.

Thank you for info and advice,
Much appreciated
terence7316/06/2020 20:49

Hi Tardytortoise,Many thanks for the advice

a weak or dropped wifi can be caused by many things.
In your case, my first port of call would be your ISP/broadband provider to see if you can wangle one of their free routers out of them. I realise they can be rubbish and probably not as good as your NETGEAR but you need to use another router in order to eliminate anything wrong with the NEGEAR.

Whilst you are awaiting delivery (or simply lending a spare router from a friend) you should spend a little time getting to know the NETGEAR, accessing it, recording its current settings, what settings your ISP require and generally configuring to get the best for your devices. From memory, your ipads and phones will be using the 2.4 band as opposed to the 5.0 band. No need to run the PS4 off wifi. So, you may be able to configure your NETGEAR to use only 2.4 which might help. Be careful though, cos any device that uses 5.2 will not be able to connect. Many modern routers have the ability to have 2 SSID - one for each band.

You should be able to search around the net for specific help and tutorials on your router.
Have you got the manual? downloads.netgear.com/fil…pdf
Be careful cos there are at least 3 versions of that router
netgear.com/sup…spx
And yes, they can degrade with time but I have found Netgear to be one of the best.

I should say many routers will not cope with the layout of your property. MESH systems are very good and very expensive. You may get some joy from extra access points near to the rooms where you have dead spots.

EDIT

or you could do what this guy did
pcgamer.com/i-b…ul/
END EDIT
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 17th Jun
I have a Netgear R7000 and had exactly the same issue after I upgraded the firmware to the latest version. If you look on the internet there are so many comments talking about Netgear and their rubbish firmware updates. So what I have done this week is to downgrade it to a known more stable version and it's been a 100x better.

So my bet is this is the same problem you've got, do some research, see what firmware version you have and find out what people are saying was the most stable version for your router. Once you have that info, go on the Netgear website, download the old firmware and install it. With a bit of luck this will improve things immensely.

HTH
Edited by: "bobdylan" 17th Jun
tardytortoise17/06/2020 08:48

a weak or dropped wifi can be caused by many things. In your case, my …a weak or dropped wifi can be caused by many things. In your case, my first port of call would be your ISP/broadband provider to see if you can wangle one of their free routers out of them. I realise they can be rubbish and probably not as good as your NETGEAR but you need to use another router in order to eliminate anything wrong with the NEGEAR.Whilst you are awaiting delivery (or simply lending a spare router from a friend) you should spend a little time getting to know the NETGEAR, accessing it, recording its current settings, what settings your ISP require and generally configuring to get the best for your devices. From memory, your ipads and phones will be using the 2.4 band as opposed to the 5.0 band. No need to run the PS4 off wifi. So, you may be able to configure your NETGEAR to use only 2.4 which might help. Be careful though, cos any device that uses 5.2 will not be able to connect. Many modern routers have the ability to have 2 SSID - one for each band.You should be able to search around the net for specific help and tutorials on your router.Have you got the manual? https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V2/WNDR3400v2_UM_23JAN2013.pdfBe careful cos there are at least 3 versions of that routerhttps://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNDR3400v3.aspxAnd yes, they can degrade with time but I have found Netgear to be one of the best.I should say many routers will not cope with the layout of your property. MESH systems are very good and very expensive. You may get some joy from extra access points near to the rooms where you have dead spots.EDITor you could do what this guy didhttps://www.pcgamer.com/i-built-my-own-super-router-out-of-old-pc-parts-and-ive-never-felt-so-powerful/END EDIT

Brillant, thanks for the extra update(y)
bobdylan17/06/2020 09:10

I have a Netgear R7000 and had exactly the same issue after I upgraded the …I have a Netgear R7000 and had exactly the same issue after I upgraded the firmware to the latest version. If you look on the internet there are so many comments talking about Netgear and their rubbish firmware updates. So what I have done this week is to downgrade it to a known more stable version and it's been a 100x better.So my bet is this is the same problem you've got, do some research, see what firmware version you have and find out what people are saying was the most stable version for your router. Once you have that info, go on the Netgear website, download the old firmware and install it. With a bit of luck this will improve things immensely.HTH

Thank you very much, i’ll see what i can do. I’m not the best techie, but i’ll give it a go
Post a comment
@
    Text