Netgear wireless router has just stopped working can anyone help?

Found 31st Mar 2008
Our connection was previously running fine without any problems until a couple days ago when the connection suddenly switched over to a routerlogin page for every page we attempt to use.

My gf managed to delete Internet Explorer and reinstall it and now the internet seems to work on her laptop but only if she sets up a wired connection, so I think the wireless is gone.

I just called netgear on an 0870 number (they don't offer technical support on any other number) and they've informed me that our 2 year warranty has just expired, so they won't be able to help unless I pay £25 for a one off help service or £65 for 6 months warranty, which is ridiculous.

Can anyone offer any advice or would we require to buy another wireless router?

Thanks a lot for any advice offered.

35 Comments

something i remember from the channels 4 "it crowd".

turn it off and turn it on again.

i had a problem with my router. turned it of and on but problem persisted. turned it off for 30 minutes and all was good again when switched on again. (different problem but it was a weird one.)

Can you log into the router? Depending on the model number it's probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 from the computer. If you can it should be fairly simple to run through the setup again. If not, find the reset button on the router and hold it in for a few seconds - that should take you back to factory default settings...
What is the model number?

BTW - You can't delete Internet Explorer - it's built in to Windows... The problem is almost certainly dodgy settings on the router, don't worry, it's ussually fixable

Original Poster

gileswendes@hotm;1806841

Can you log into the router? Depending on the model number it's probably … Can you log into the router? Depending on the model number it's probably http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 from the computer. If you can it should be fairly simple to run through the setup again. If not, find the reset button on the router and hold it in for a few seconds - that should take you back to factory default settings...What is the model number?

Hi mate,

It's the first option of 192.168.1.1, I'm not completely sure of the login details though, so I may have to wait until the evening to findout if we can log in not.

I've tried pulling out the cable for 10 seconds, which normally works when the connection goes down but it's not working this time.

Original Poster

gileswendes@hotm;1806862

BTW - You can't delete Internet Explorer - it's built in to Windows... … BTW - You can't delete Internet Explorer - it's built in to Windows... The problem is almost certainly dodgy settings on the router, don't worry, it's ussually fixable

That's what I thought but my gf was adamant she deleted it and I told her I couldn't find it on my laptop and was sure it's already preset into the software but since I'm not the most clued up person on computers, I said whatever, I just want the laptop running like before.

I hope it is fixable though, we're trying so hard to save up as much money as possible for the summer holidays, so any unexpected costs will set us off target.

simonbrowne;1806837

something i remember from the channels 4 "it crowd".turn it off and turn … something i remember from the channels 4 "it crowd".turn it off and turn it on again.i had a problem with my router. turned it of and on but problem persisted. turned it off for 30 minutes and all was good again when switched on again. (different problem but it was a weird one.)

As daft as it sounds have you tried it:whistling:

unless you've changed it the default user name is admin and the password is password (usually)

Original Poster

jtx;1806889

As daft as it sounds have you tried it:whistling:

Yep, that's normally what we do for everything, which normally works but this time it hasn't worked at all.

are u with Aol ?

Original Poster

mustafa;1806975

are u with Aol ?

Nope, we're with Virgin Media, we were originally on a 4mb connection but I think they've recently upgraded us to 10mb for free of charge.

I've got 20mb connection for an extra £12 per month at my mums house and we received a free wireless router as part of the deal, so if we can't fix the problem, then that's the option we're thinking of taking, even though we don't realy need 20mb broadband at the moment.

realfriendlyman;1806867

Hi mate,It's the first option of 192.168.1.1, I'm not completely sure of … Hi mate,It's the first option of 192.168.1.1, I'm not completely sure of the login details though, so I may have to wait until the evening to findout if we can log in not.I've tried pulling out the cable for 10 seconds (did you mean the ethernet cable?), which normally works when the connection goes down but it's not working this time.

I know you said you pulled the cable out, but have you actually unplugged the router from the mains? If not then try that, wait for a few minutes and then power it up again and see if that fixes things. If not then try to log-in again and set up the router from scratch (sure people on here can talk you through it if they have the same model)

First off, check that the actual wireless connection on your GF's laptop isn't what's wrong with it. You might need to set that up again rather than mess with the router so go into the connections wizard on the laptop and set up a new wireless connection. Failing that try the router solutions mentioned and get back to us about it and we'll try to help. :thumbsup:

Recently set up Netgear router for first time and sounds like set up probs to me too. Used the links below which proved helpful and I put the set up page as a favourite for easy access.

Re the 'deleted explorer' comment does she mean that she deleted link/icon from desktop or similar (as an item within Programs) and that it is still there but just not readily available to select?

netgear.jp/sup…pdf

kbserver.netgear.com/pdf…pdf

microdiy.co.uk/dow…pdf

forum1.netgear.com/?SI…997

personafile.com/NET…tml

kbserver.netgear.com/pro…asp

Banned

guerilla;1806891

unless you've changed it the default user name is admin and the password … unless you've changed it the default user name is admin and the password is password (usually)

Either that or passowrd is admin as well.

have you tried actually logging in?

Original Poster

Oh and we received a message with an 8 digit code stating "(192.168.1.3) is managing this device" which scared my gf and she thought we'd been hacked.

I tried logging in with the default passwords but it didn't work, so I may have to wait until my gf gets home.

csiman;1807075

Either that or passowrd is admin as well.have you tried actually logging … Either that or passowrd is admin as well.have you tried actually logging in?

admin and password unless changed from default

realfriendlyman;1807131

Oh and we received a message with an 8 digit code stating "(192.168.1.3) … Oh and we received a message with an 8 digit code stating "(192.168.1.3) is managing this device" which scared my gf and she thought we'd been hacked.

Anything beginning with 192.168. is inside your current network.

Once you get access to the router it should have a button to reset to factory settings.

EndlessWaves;1807407

Anything beginning with 192.168. is inside your current network.Once you … Anything beginning with 192.168. is inside your current network.Once you get access to the router it should have a button to reset to factory settings.

Inside your network but potentially wireless (a neighbour?) My guess is that someone has logged in wirelessly and changed the settings. The reset button will set it back to factory defaults even if you can't access it. Then just google the model number for the default username and password.

Does this look like the Router that you have?

http://i27.tinypic.com/1zlajbd.jpg

Original Poster

kemo;1807834

Does this look like the Router that you have?

Sorry, I didn't respond earlier, I was out until now but yes, that's the exact model we're using.

I don't think the neighbours could of hacked the wireless connection, as my gf has a very weird random password and she set it up via WPA instead of WEP.

gileswendes@hotm;1807769

Inside your network but potentially wireless (a neighbour?) My guess is … Inside your network but potentially wireless (a neighbour?) My guess is that someone has logged in wirelessly and changed the settings.

The OP has said there's at least two computers on the network and .3 would be the second one (the router is .1). It's still possible that it's another computer but as long as it's not a number that it shouldn't get too then I wouldn't be too worried if it's WPA'd.

The reset button is a small hole, on that model (or at least of my version of it) it's between the last yellow ethernet port and the power cable port. Stick something into that hole like the pointy end of a pencil and you should be able to feel the button inside press down. You may or may not have to hold it for a few seconds.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;1811230

The OP has said there's at least two computers on the network and .3 … The OP has said there's at least two computers on the network and .3 would be the second one (the router is .1). It's still possible that it's another computer but as long as it's not a number that it shouldn't get too then I wouldn't be too worried if it's WPA'd.The reset button is a small hole, on that model (or at least of my version of it) it's between the last yellow ethernet port and the power cable port. Stick something into that hole like the pointy end of a pencil and you should be able to feel the button inside press down. You may or may not have to hold it for a few seconds.

Cheers mate, we've done that part but every time we've entered 192.168.1.1, it ends up going to a dead page?
What do we have to do after we've reset the modem, do you have any links?

Is that a D834?

Its a dg834.. I think that the default gateway on those are 192.168.0.1

How long have you held the little reset button for? Hold it for at least 15 seconds

another way to find out the default gateway isensuring that you are connected to the router via ethernet is to Select start , run and then type CMD for your command prompt.
When you see the black command screen type ipconfig /all and then press enter, beside default gateway you will see a series of numbers these will be the numbers that you type intop your internet browser to connect to your router. I'm 99% sure that it is 192.168.0.1 for that model.

Good Luck

kemo;1812603

Its a dg834.. I think that the default gateway on those are … Its a dg834.. I think that the default gateway on those are 192.168.0.1........... I'm 99% sure that it is 192.168.0.1 for that model.

yep same as my router at home, default is 192.168.0.1, default user name and password are admin and password

guerilla;1812644

yep same as my router at home, default is 192.168.0.1, default user name … yep same as my router at home, default is 192.168.0.1, default user name and password are admin and password

Thanks for the confirmation m8, just need the OP to confirm that they now can connect..:)

Original Poster

kemo;1812603

Its a dg834.. I think that the default gateway on those are … Its a dg834.. I think that the default gateway on those are 192.168.0.1How long have you held the little reset button for? Hold it for at least 15 secondsanother way to find out the default gateway isensuring that you are connected to the router via ethernet is to Select start , run and then type CMD for your command prompt.When you see the black command screen type ipconfig /all and then press enter, beside default gateway you will see a series of numbers these will be the numbers that you type intop your internet browser to connect to your router. I'm 99% sure that it is 192.168.0.1 for that model.Good Luck

Thanks for the adivce mate, i managed to type in ipconfig/all in to blackbox and the default gateway says 92.236.52.1 and i typed that into the url and nothing has happened, what am i supposed to do?

Thanks a lot for your help, i don't know much at all about this technical stuff. :$

are you near the router now? can you get the model number?

Original Poster

guerilla;1815416

are you near the router now? can you get the model number?

Hi mate,

The model number is 192.168.1.1

thats not the model number, i assume you read it off the bottom, thats your default gateway, have you treid typing this into internet explorer? you should get a little popup that asks you for a password.

Original Poster

guerilla;1815524

thats not the model number, i assume you read it off the bottom, thats … thats not the model number, i assume you read it off the bottom, thats your default gateway, have you treid typing this into internet explorer? you should get a little popup that asks you for a password.

Oh sorry about that.......... where can I findout the model number?

The default gateway came out different when i typed it into the black box that you mentioned earlier.

I typed that into the browser but it states the page cannot be found. :oops:

Is there a reset button on the back of the actual router?

Original Poster

emasu;1815556

Is there a reset button on the back of the actual router?

Hey Emasu, long time no see, how are you mate? :-D

Yep, I've already reset it and I'm currently running the internet connection wired through the modem, which i hate to do.

realfriendlyman;1815606

Hey Emasu, long time no see, how are you mate? :-D.

Im fine thanks, has been ages since i spoke to you :oops: Hows yourself?

Anyway, can you download the setup program from the netgear website? I think you can?

which number did you type in 192.168.1.1?

to clarify your using your laptop plugged into the router with an Ethernet cable now? can you turn off your wireless card. and then enter 192.168.1.1

what happens now? i get this popping up?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/gillepy/netgear_router.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text