Network connection slow to start in Vista

9 replies
Found 18th Feb 2009
Hi all. Have googled this and not found anything concrete other than people posting to software you have to buy.

Got a Vista PC, startup is fine but it can take a minute or more after logging in for the red x to disappear from the network icon and be replaced with the blue blob (or whatever its supposed to be). Its a wired connection into a ZyXel wireless router then into my NTL cable modem.

Any ideas why so slow?

1. Misc
  2. Windows
9 Comments

No idea - tried to update the firmware of your router?

Original Poster

Ciderbob;4415110

No idea - tried to update the firmware of your router?

Cheers Ciderbob. All got the latest firmware on there. Replaced a wireless B netgear router with this one which is G. Defintely slower to establish the connection.

Might try putting the modem straight into the PC tonight to see how that goes, bypass the router.

Router firmware wouldnt have much to do with it I wouldnt of thought. If it's a wired connection to the router it wont make a difference if its B or G wireless either - as your not using it!

Have you attempted:

Try another port on the router - there are usually 4 or more.
Upgrading your network card drivers on the laptop.
Can you try another PC to see if it's the same?

Is your NTL modem an ethernet connection to the router?

I had a problem with vista going "local only" it was when about a year ago and hasn't been a problme since.

As best i can remember it was solved by manually inputting some info rather than vista trying to obtain it each time, hence why i think yours might be taking a while. If you go to adapter properties then Internet Protocols version 4 instead of having the option Obatin an IP adddress automatically select use the following address and input the details.
(not susre if this is the same with an NTL modem)

Hope this fixes your problem.

vista is so slow to start, even with wireless. No matter if wired direct or wireless I always have to wait for vista. I go for coffee!

Another thing to try. Have you tried to temporarily disable/uninstall any Antivirus or Firewall software on the PC?

Original Poster

maggie444;4415428

Router firmware wouldnt have much to do with it I wouldnt of thought. If … Router firmware wouldnt have much to do with it I wouldnt of thought. If it's a wired connection to the router it wont make a difference if its B or G wireless either - as your not using it!Have you attempted:Try another port on the router - there are usually 4 or more.Upgrading your network card drivers on the laptop.Can you try another PC to see if it's the same?Is your NTL modem an ethernet connection to the router?

Hi, yep, got new network drivers from Intel (Overrode the std vista ones), and tried another port. Will try it on my XP machine later but that used to be there as soon as switched on

tonyd19565;4415474

vista is so slow to start, even with wireless. No matter if wired direct … vista is so slow to start, even with wireless. No matter if wired direct or wireless I always have to wait for vista. I go for coffee!

Thats the impression Im getting. I thought Vista was supposed to be faster loading! lol

Coldape;4415467

I had a problem with vista going "local only" it was when about a year … I had a problem with vista going "local only" it was when about a year ago and hasn't been a problme since. As best i can remember it was solved by manually inputting some info rather than vista trying to obtain it each time, hence why i think yours might be taking a while. If you go to adapter properties then Internet Protocols version 4 instead of having the option Obatin an IP adddress automatically select use the following address and input the details. (not susre if this is the same with an NTL modem)Hope this fixes your problem.

Good shout. Far as I know I always get the same ip address so I'll just hardcode it in there...

Thanks all

Banned

tonyd19565;4415474

vista is so slow to start, even with wireless. No matter if wired direct … vista is so slow to start, even with wireless. No matter if wired direct or wireless I always have to wait for vista. I go for coffee!

I use Vista and get a very quick connection both wired and on my laptop.

Skewen;4417031

Hi, yep, got new network drivers from Intel (Overrode the std vista … Hi, yep, got new network drivers from Intel (Overrode the std vista ones), and tried another port. Will try it on my XP machine later but that used to be there as soon as switched onThats the impression Im getting. I thought Vista was supposed to be faster loading! lolGood shout. Far as I know I always get the same ip address so I'll just hardcode it in there...Thanks all

Aye set your router to static ip addressing and the pc to the same, will save the pc waiting on an address from dhcp server on the router.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75877
    2. Win a trip to Dublin, with Ireland.com via Classic FM23
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers55

See more discussions