Expired

Network Hard Drive

Found 12th Jan 2007
Hi guys can any one point me in the direction of a reasonable size )250gb) network attached hard drive I have had a hunt around and all the good deals seem to have dried up.

7 Comments

You can buy Newlink enclosure and 250GB disk for £81.15 delivered (or even less if you had i29 deal). Limited functionality though.

Original Poster

Cheers for that what do you mean by limited functionality. I'm new to this nas thing and it all can be fairly confusing.

It is FAT only, no expansion USB slots, no ability to run custom firmware with UPnP AV servers, etc.
It should be OK for simple SMB shares but not much more.
Take a look at Linksys NSLU2 and Buffalo Linkstation devices too.

Original Poster

What does the custom firm ware do?

You could run some interesting applications on it, such as iTunes server, media server, web server, etc.

Original Poster

Which servers do this type of thing as this is more what i'm looking for. Cheers for the idots guide!

As I mentioned previously, Linksys NSLU2 would run such firmware. Take a look here.
If you don't want to mess with Linux/Networking issues, then there is Buffalo Linkstation with built-in print server (to share your printer), USB server (to share additional USB Hard Drive), DLNA server (to share your media across network, if you have network media player), SMB (to share files, for example to modded XBox).
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Gift Idea for a new mum (i'm terrible at gifts)44
    2. How much is a used Xbox One S 500GB worth?33
    3. Cheap budget Samsung phone?55
    4. 'Best' TV under 50"?11

See more discussions