Found 2nd Feb 2009
Been looking at popcorn hour and Netgear EVA8000. Ideally, would like it to be wifi back to the PC.. Any advice? Loads out of there so looking for bit of guidance..

Cheers

Rich

17 Comments

The popcorn hour is generally acknowledged to be the best out there. It can playback the most number of formats without transcoding. The downside is I believe you have to get one shipped from the US.

Original Poster

Thanks. Seems to be the one im edging towards but theres a few EVA8000s around for quite a bit less. Cant really see what the difference is. Will have a rummage around av forums tonight.

Pick up a Popcorn Hour from ]DigitalEra or ripcaster.co.uk/nod…3YQ. you will have to add a wireless connection of some sort (£40 for Wireless-N). Not purchased from either company,

There is also the EVA9150 - looks a nice piece of kit but a little pricey

There is also the option of wiring up a PS3, and streaming from a PC.... especially at those sort of prices... depends how many hoops you want to jump through!

Original Poster

Cheers Sootie. Was always happy with my xbox360 with the wifi adapter but had the red ring of death and flogged it. Theres a 6 month old "as new" eva8000 going that I may well get. Looks like that has wifi built in.. £130

Just out of interest - does the 360 handle mkv/Hidef streams?

Original Poster

It didn't. Just divx and MP3s I used to play through it..

These things really don't operate well on WIFI unless you have an un-interrupted N/A Signal from source to destination.

Streaming HD is very bandwidth intensive and I'm yet to see a Media Tank that can handle streaming a Full HD source uninterrupted whilst somebody is surfing the web etc

The Wifi modules are great for music, divx and even largely lower HD resolutions but if you're looking to stream a true full HD source then I would highly recommend a wired connection

Sootie;4259974

Just out of interest - does the 360 handle mkv/Hidef streams?

A 360 will play WMV-HD but that is the only HD it can play over a network. MKV is definitely cannot do and I really can't see M$ ever supporting it, it would be too much of an acceptance of piracy.

]This guy has one on here for £180

Sootie;4259861

Pick up a Popcorn Hour from ]DigitalEra or … Pick up a Popcorn Hour from ]DigitalEra or https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/329?gclid=COz7392WvpgCFVaK3godRBd3YQ. you will have to add a wireless connection of some sort (£40 for Wireless-N). Not purchased from either company, There is also the EVA9150 - looks a nice piece of kit but a little priceyThere is also the option of wiring up a PS3, and streaming from a PC.... especially at those sort of prices... depends how many hoops you want to jump through!

digitalera sell the wn-100 but with a warning.
they also sell the eva9150 (pre order) id wait for that to come out personally

Original Poster

God. Seen the pinnacle showcentre 250 for under £150 too brand new. Sounds similar and handles HD. Thanks for the tips folks, more reading required I guess. Generally, ive got loads of AVIs / DIVx and MP3s etc I want to play downstairs on the main tv. Although my TV is HD I havent really got into that yet. Currently stick 5 or 6 AVIs on a DVD and watch it via my divx dvd player hence streaming or popping a USB drive in would get rid of that.

Hi, I have a Popcorn A110 and use a Wireless dongle with Wireless N and it streams perfectly through myiHome Server most of the time (1080p).
Also use the My Lil Media jukebox to display the films and i love it.

Ordered direct from PCH and it took about 3 weeks for delivery

dazsnaz;4260268

Hi, I have a Popcorn A110 and use a Wireless dongle with Wireless N and … Hi, I have a Popcorn A110 and use a Wireless dongle with Wireless N and it streams perfectly through myiHome Server most of the time (1080p).Also use the My Lil Media jukebox to display the films and i love it.Ordered direct from PCH and it took about 3 weeks for delivery

I think it's dependant on your walls, how built up your house it, insulation, items of interference i.e. tv, microwave etc

Are they full 1080p files (usually anywhere between 8GB and 40GB)?

Original Poster

dazsnaz;4260268

Hi, I have a Popcorn A110 and use a Wireless dongle with Wireless N and … Hi, I have a Popcorn A110 and use a Wireless dongle with Wireless N and it streams perfectly through myiHome Server most of the time (1080p).Also use the My Lil Media jukebox to display the films and i love it.Ordered direct from PCH and it took about 3 weeks for delivery

I may be thick here but what does the popcorn hr do over the rest of them? Its twice the price by the time you add the wireless dongle on...

ms2005;4260287

I think it's dependant on your walls, how built up your house it, … I think it's dependant on your walls, how built up your house it, insulation, items of interference i.e. tv, microwave etcAre they full 1080p files (usually anywhere between 8GB and 40GB)?

They are all 1080p mkv files around 10-16gb

For me the performance with divx will be no problem

Skewen;4260345

I may be thick here but what does the popcorn hr do over the rest of … I may be thick here but what does the popcorn hr do over the rest of them? Its twice the price by the time you add the wireless dongle on...

For me it's the amount of file formats it plays and the smooth operation while playing all these formats, coupled with the NZB, Movie jukebox, Web Apps and the internal harddrive make it ideal for my needs.

Skewen;4260224

God. Seen the pinnacle showcentre 250 for under £150 too brand new. … God. Seen the pinnacle showcentre 250 for under £150 too brand new. Sounds similar and handles HD. Thanks for the tips folks, more reading required I guess. Generally, ive got loads of AVIs / DIVx and MP3s etc I want to play downstairs on the main tv. Although my TV is HD I havent really got into that yet. Currently stick 5 or 6 AVIs on a DVD and watch it via my divx dvd player hence streaming or popping a USB drive in would get rid of that.

If you're not fussed on HD and are only concerned with AVIs/DIVX/MP3s, an XBOX would be the cheapest option.

I have a Popcorn, its a great piece of kit, but the poor exchange rate has meant that its nearly double in price over the course of a year. A PS3, coupled with some UPNP software such as Mediatomb etc. would probably be a preferred choice. Plus it can be used as a game console, web browser and DVD/BluRay player with wireless built in. For HD, Homeplugs are great in preference to wireless - especially as you can pick them up from Ebay or Scan for a decent price.

Original Poster

Nice one. Cheers daz. Rep added.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226646
    2. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    3. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    4. word association Game74244916

See more discussions