Groups

Networking question

Does anybody know if you can use a BT home hub as an Ethernet switch and would this be any better or worse then using a dedicated Ethernet switch on BT infinity ?

Thanks

14 Comments

You can yes although depending on which model, it only has one 1Gb port so I'd stump the few quid for a 8 port switch which is full 1Gb.

Original Poster

darlodge

You can yes although depending on which model, it only has one 1Gb port … You can yes although depending on which model, it only has one 1Gb port so I'd stump the few quid for a 8 port switch which is full 1Gb.

Thanks I only have 2 things that I want to connect up - the tv and an android box would the HH be good for both?
    The tv has wireless built in but it struggles sometimes with apps probably due to the number of devices connected to the wireless hence I'd like to hard wire it.,

Make sure you go into the settings and switch off the DHCP server

mikey_d

Make sure you go into the settings and switch off the DHCP server

​Why would he do that?

craigstephens

​Why would he do that?

​Two DHCP servers == two networks and conflicts.

Turn off dhcp plug ethernet cable from your router to the hubs lan port, that way your devices get ip address from your router

Also make sure that the routers don't share an IP and the 2nd router/switch IP is static.

Not many switches have dhcp servers built in to them.

Dedicated hub will be faster, as routing traffic will slow the BT hub down.

TPLink 4 port gigabit hubs are available for ~£8 last time I looked; I have two myself - plug and play.

craigstephens

Not many switches have dhcp servers built in to them.

he wants to use a router, not a switch

mikey_d

he wants to use a router, not a switch

​Oh yeah, I must have been tired!

Gentle_Giant

Dedicated hub will be faster, as routing traffic will slow the BT hub … Dedicated hub will be faster, as routing traffic will slow the BT hub down.TPLink 4 port gigabit hubs are available for ~£8 last time I looked; I have two myself - plug and play.

Not really, the bottle neck will be the cable, the processing required to route will not be an issue on the BT Hub

ADSL/VDSL routers are always slower than a dedicated switch/hub. Cabling has nothing to do with it, it comes down to the fact that their primary job isnt routing, but managing your internet connection.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies guys - you've all put me off the HH and I'll just buy an Ethernet switch - thanks a lot (_;)

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?39
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2853
      3. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1021
      4. Is this a Nespresso capsules compatible machine?11

See more discussions