Never bought a router before not sure which one to buy?

any recommendations?

11 Comments

what do you want to do?

Original Poster

t3rm3y

what do you want to do?

mainly interested in vpn and also becuase router that comes with sky is ****

what are you vpn'ing too? what router is at that site?

Original Poster

whhat do you mean?

a vpn is a virtual network from one site to another. so if you have a router and set up a VPN surely you are connecting to a second site or office on to their network via their router?

Also Sky don't formally support third party routers.

Asus routers are pretty good. I've had RT-N66U for few years now.

Have VPN server setup so I can connect to home network when out and about.
Have also used the VPN client connecting to cyberghost.

I have the asus dsl n66u for my talktalk fibre large. Single box solution, it also had VPN

sky is a pain in the bum to get other routers to work as you need to capture your user name and password fro.your old router however you can buy a sky q router either on fleebay for 30 quid or 60 from sky
these have mile.better wifi but only two ports on the rear but both of which are gig ports

if you use a router that isn't sky recommended/supplied they won't support you. also you need to trap your username/password on your sky router and use that on your replacement router.
if you have any issues with your broadband you have to use the original router as sky can tell and won't discuss your issue with you.
sky router is designed to prevent a vpn being used on it. I don't know if that issue has been resolved. personally I have my vpn just on my laptop.

Original Poster

thank you all for your replies
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. USC voucher code pls?23
    2. No Vega deals around - pre-order for Vega 56?23
    3. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?811
    4. Nintendo Switch Game Cases34

See more discussions