Groups

Never sell to CeX online

So I have two laptops I need to sell, send them to CeX freepost, takes 3 days to arrive with them, then another six for the item to be "preparing for testing" before they discover a non-existent crack on one laptop, and "battery has wear" for the other (it still worked fine) and send them back to me.

Don't ever sell to them online. Same thing happened when I sold them iPods online - they were both rejected due to a tiny line of dead pixels even though I rated them "C" which I have been told takes them into account.

So yeah, last time I'll sell something to them. Missed out on £144 after them taking over a week.

18 Comments

As far as I am aware CEX will not buy any device with dead pixels and when you send anything by post you run the risk of damage in transit.

Boy meets world.

Everyone knows how dodge Cex can be.

Never buy from CEX online either. I ordered a game as an Xmas present for my nephew last year. It never arrived. I emailed their Customer Support about it and they replied in MAY and blamed the delay in responding on the Xmas rush.

Cex have always been hit and miss. It's one of those places that you take a risk with if you dare.

Twice ordered a Fire Box from them. Twice was sent a Firestick instead! just ended up getting a refund instead!

Original Poster

I have to say the actual stores, especially the franchise-owned ones, are OK generally. I bet they'd take the laptops.

I once sold a game to them and they claimed they never received it. Never got my money for it and couldn't find the receipt from the post office either. Never trusted them again since. If I'm to sell a game to them in the future, I will only do it in store when I can but there is no need as I sell to Gamestaar now.

Original Poster

Their testing is completely unfair too - they don't test GPUs, CPUs, or RAM (sold them 10+ sticks of ECC lol at full price) but laptops undergo strict testing depending on who does it. I have a feeling they actually broke my laptop as the corner was only a small crack to begin with and now they say "you can see the internals falling out".

I persoanlly wont ever risk large items like that through shipping, local Cex store better for that imo.

At least they send them back to you music magpie don't even return items they say they are broken and when I asked them to be sent back they said they have been sent for recycling. I tried to shame them on Facebook but they just delete posts.

Original Poster

larrylightweight

At least they send them back to you music magpie don't even return items … At least they send them back to you music magpie don't even return items they say they are broken and when I asked them to be sent back they said they have been sent for recycling. I tried to shame them on Facebook but they just delete posts.

I just found a better site, they're a charity who resell onto eBay the stuff you sell to them, they pay around the same as CeX. Hopefully I won't have to deal with CeX again.

I never sell CEX online X)

meagain0

I just found a better site, they're a charity who resell onto eBay the … I just found a better site, they're a charity who resell onto eBay the stuff you sell to them, they pay around the same as CeX. Hopefully I won't have to deal with CeX again.

​Who would they be then?

Original Poster

sell-your-laptop.co.uk who then resell as millraceit on eBay at a very low profit margin - all profits to charity it seems. They pay £43 for my old Dell laptop I couldn't even sell for £20 on eBay

Cex smells.

So does GAME now they got all that second hand stuff

I have got some very good deals from CeX buying online but the prices they usually offer for trades are not worth it if you have an eBay account in good standing or can use Gumtree if you live in a city. Although Gumtree buyers from my experience tend to have unrealistic expectations and expect bargains so I rarely use it now after getting a deluge of silly offers and not many sales.
    But CeX recently sent me items that were incorrect or faulty. Ordered a keyboard for my Dell tablet and it had a massive dent, was a US layout and the trackpad didn’t work. Also ordered a cover for the tablet and they sent an official Dell travelling keyboard/case which was a win.
    They are good for returns though at least in my local store and it’s handy being able to return online items locally.
    So I persevere as overall as a buyer I’ve done well and the few times I’ve sold I got more than I paid for the item.
    Handle with caution though.

Bashstreet

Cex smells.

Literally.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6561250
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764318
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846224
      4. RIP DOCTOR WHO45

See more discussions