New 1 bay nas or used 2 bay nas

Found 8th Jun
Hi, im looking to buy a nas setup. I have an option of getting a Buffalo linksation 220 4tb (1x4tb) for £100 off amazon or getting a used Synology DS212+ 4tb (2x2tb) for £118.

What do you guys think I should do in this sitaution?
Community Updates
AskStorage
2 Comments
Apples and Pears. You can RAID the Synology and losing a disk means no data loss. Totally depends on what you are trying to do AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, what role this NAS will play in your data backup/archive process.

I would buy the 2xdisks option even if I used it as one drive today. I have a Synology 4xdisk, RAID configured, and love it to bits apart from junking loads of duplicates on there. But at least I have the data. and a single disk crash wont lose anything

I dare day the Buffalo does this as well but; There is a media player on the Synology that downloads BBC Friday night comedy programs without my having to remember. I have over 10 years of Now Show and News Quiz episodes to play in the car
Edited by: "ccnp" 8th Jun
ccnp7 h, 25 m ago

Apples and Pears. You can RAID the Synology and losing a disk means no …Apples and Pears. You can RAID the Synology and losing a disk means no data loss. Totally depends on what you are trying to do AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, what role this NAS will play in your data backup/archive process. I would buy the 2xdisks option even if I used it as one drive today. I have a Synology 4xdisk, RAID configured, and love it to bits apart from junking loads of duplicates on there. But at least I have the data. and a single disk crash wont lose anythingI dare day the Buffalo does this as well but; There is a media player on the Synology that downloads BBC Friday night comedy programs without my having to remember. I have over 10 years of Now Show and News Quiz episodes to play in the car

Cheers for the advice, I unfortunately missed out on that deal anyways. Bugger me. But I only really wanted a nas just to keep some legally sourced tv shows and films to be streamed to my android device via es file explorer. It won't be used for doing routinely back ups and I don't think i'll be constantly adding new files to the drive constantly. Once I can increase my budget, I'll try to invest into a larger bay nas since i'm not too fussed about losing the data on the drive since it can be recovered by other mean.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions