New £20 notes

Posted 20th Feb
Hi,
Anyone managed to get hold of the new £20 note? If Yes, what are your inital thoughts
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
terriclarkfan20/02/2020 16:33

My initial thoughts are what am I going to do with the £50k of Doddies in …My initial thoughts are what am I going to do with the £50k of Doddies in old £20 notes in the attic.

I’ll take care of it for you
37 Comments
My initial thoughts are what am I going to do with the £50k of Doddies in old £20 notes in the attic.
terriclarkfan20/02/2020 16:33

My initial thoughts are what am I going to do with the £50k of Doddies in …My initial thoughts are what am I going to do with the £50k of Doddies in old £20 notes in the attic.

I’ll take care of it for you
i didn't know they have issued new ones. good to know. i used to dislike the polymer notes and prefer the paper notes until i got given a fake paper £20 note when i sold something on gumtree. at least the polymer notes are harder to fake.
Anything is better than the current ones
I keep seeing five pounds on the street, then I realised bunch of fake five pounds note
Pricklerickle20/02/2020 16:55

I keep seeing five pounds on the street, then I realised bunch of fake …I keep seeing five pounds on the street, then I realised bunch of fake five pounds note

sounds like a rough area that you live in if there fake notes strewn about in the street!
I was going to get £20 out of the cash point today just to see if I got a new one but didn’t bother lol.

Would the cashpoints have been updated that quickly or not until next refill?
mutley120/02/2020 17:01

sounds like a rough area that you live in if there fake notes strewn about …sounds like a rough area that you live in if there fake notes strewn about in the street!

not sure if there fake but I keep seeing notes on floor and I only lived here 11 months and I read story about all these fake five pounds, I ain't complaining
No need for physical money anymore, if anything I find it a hassle.
Pricklerickle20/02/2020 18:12

not sure if there fake but I keep seeing notes on floor and I only lived …not sure if there fake but I keep seeing notes on floor and I only lived here 11 months and I read story about all these fake five pounds, I ain't complaining

you keep seeing £5 notes on the floor? you need to let me know where you live so i can move there, lol
matthews947920/02/2020 18:56

it is certainly becoming less popular but sometimes you still need it. for example we were at the pub last week and we paid our bill with a gift voucher, but there was 44p left to pay. it was more appropriate to give them the coins than to use my credit card to pay the remaining 44p.

some of the smaller corner shops only take cash and if they accept credit cards they add on a charge. if you buy anything second hand from gumtree for example, cash is king. if you employ a builder or a plumber, cash payment is also king.

if you buy a newspaper, you will find it more convenient to pay with cash than a credit card.
mutley120/02/2020 17:01

sounds like a rough area that you live in if there fake notes strewn about …sounds like a rough area that you live in if there fake notes strewn about in the street!

Or a really posh one where people down bend over for anything less than a tenner
mutley120/02/2020 19:29

it is certainly becoming less popular but sometimes you still need it. …it is certainly becoming less popular but sometimes you still need it. for example we were at the pub last week and we paid our bill with a gift voucher, but there was 44p left to pay. it was more appropriate to give them the coins than to use my credit card to pay the remaining 44p.some of the smaller corner shops only take cash and if they accept credit cards they add on a charge. if you buy anything second hand from gumtree for example, cash is king. if you employ a builder or a plumber, cash payment is also king.if you buy a newspaper, you will find it more convenient to pay with cash than a credit card.

I thought that companies where no longer allowed to charge extra for card usage?
Edited by: "matthews9479" 20th Feb
mutley120/02/2020 19:29

it is certainly becoming less popular but sometimes you still need it. …it is certainly becoming less popular but sometimes you still need it. for example we were at the pub last week and we paid our bill with a gift voucher, but there was 44p left to pay. it was more appropriate to give them the coins than to use my credit card to pay the remaining 44p.some of the smaller corner shops only take cash and if they accept credit cards they add on a charge. if you buy anything second hand from gumtree for example, cash is king. if you employ a builder or a plumber, cash payment is also king.if you buy a newspaper, you will find it more convenient to pay with cash than a credit card.

My barber will only accept cash. It’s the only place I can offload the fakes
matthews947920/02/2020 18:56

I agree but it's good to have incase you bank with those that went down few months ago, could happen to any bank.
JumpMan198020/02/2020 19:42

My barber will only accept cash. It’s the only place I can offload the f …My barber will only accept cash. It’s the only place I can offload the fakes

hubby's barber is the same. it is a small shop.
matthews947920/02/2020 19:42

I thought that companies where no longer allowed to charge extra for card …I thought that companies where no longer allowed to charge extra for card usage?

i bought something at the chemist for my dad a few weeks ago and the chemist said if i paid with a credit card there is a 50p charge for an item that was £2.60 so i paid with cash. a retailer could refuse to accept credit card payment.
JumpMan198020/02/2020 19:40

Or a really posh one where people down bend over for anything less than a …Or a really posh one where people down bend over for anything less than a tenner

but the fact that there are fake notes strewn about the street, would indicate it is an area where people who trade in fake notes live and somehow the notes are always falling out of their pockets
mutley120/02/2020 19:50

i bought something at the chemist for my dad a few weeks ago and the …i bought something at the chemist for my dad a few weeks ago and the chemist said if i paid with a credit card there is a 50p charge for an item that was £2.60 so i paid with cash. a retailer could refuse to accept credit card payment.

Hidden charges for paying with a debit or credit card will be banned from 13 January 2018, helping millions of UK consumers to avoid rip-off fees when spending their hard-earned money.

So-called ‘surcharging’ has become commonplace, particularly online, with many retailers hitting people with surprise charges just before they are about to make a purchase. Some retailers have been known to add charges which are far higher than it costs them to process a payment. It is estimated that surcharging cost Brits £166 million in 2015.

The ban means that it will be unlawful for retailers to charge additional fees when someone uses a particular credit or debit card, or other payment systems like PayPal, to make a purchase. This will ensure consumers can be confident that there won’t be any nasty surprises, and they won’t be penalised for wanting to pay in a particular way.

The new rules will be enforced by Trading Standards who will have the power to take civil enforcement action against traders who breach the regulations. It will also entitle customers to receive a refund of any unlawful surcharge they have paid and enable them, if necessary, to take legal action to recover any such surcharge.
matthews947920/02/2020 20:03

Hidden charges for paying with a debit or credit card will be banned from …Hidden charges for paying with a debit or credit card will be banned from 13 January 2018, helping millions of UK consumers to avoid rip-off fees when spending their hard-earned money.So-called ‘surcharging’ has become commonplace, particularly online, with many retailers hitting people with surprise charges just before they are about to make a purchase. Some retailers have been known to add charges which are far higher than it costs them to process a payment. It is estimated that surcharging cost Brits £166 million in 2015.The ban means that it will be unlawful for retailers to charge additional fees when someone uses a particular credit or debit card, or other payment systems like PayPal, to make a purchase. This will ensure consumers can be confident that there won’t be any nasty surprises, and they won’t be penalised for wanting to pay in a particular way.The new rules will be enforced by Trading Standards who will have the power to take civil enforcement action against traders who breach the regulations. It will also entitle customers to receive a refund of any unlawful surcharge they have paid and enable them, if necessary, to take legal action to recover any such surcharge.

that may be the case but i wasn't going to get that item for £2.60 unless i paid with cash. i had to go to the cash machine to take out cash as i didn't have any cash on me that day. as far as i understand, a retailer does not have to accept credit card payments so they could argue that they don't accept credit card payments, but they can make an exception for you if they sell you the product at 50p more as although it is labelled at £2.60, they don't have to sell it to you at this price if they don't want to. i am not sure how easy it is to argue here.
mutley120/02/2020 20:08

that may be the case but i wasn't going to get that item for £2.60 unless …that may be the case but i wasn't going to get that item for £2.60 unless i paid with cash. i had to go to the cash machine to take out cash as i didn't have any cash on me that day. as far as i understand, a retailer does not have to accept credit card payments so they could argue that they don't accept credit card payments, but they can make an exception for you if they sell you the product at 50p more as although it is labelled at £2.60, they don't have to sell it to you at this price if they don't want to. i am not sure how easy it is to argue here.

I get that, but telling you that it will cost you 50p for using a card is illegal.
matthews947920/02/2020 20:10

I get that, but telling you that it will cost you 50p for using a card is …I get that, but telling you that it will cost you 50p for using a card is illegal.

i guess she didn't know it was illegal. i didn't at the time or i didn't recollect that it is illegal.
matthews947920/02/2020 20:03

Hidden charges for paying with a debit or credit card will be banned from …Hidden charges for paying with a debit or credit card will be banned from 13 January 2018, helping millions of UK consumers to avoid rip-off fees when spending their hard-earned money.So-called ‘surcharging’ has become commonplace, particularly online, with many retailers hitting people with surprise charges just before they are about to make a purchase. Some retailers have been known to add charges which are far higher than it costs them to process a payment. It is estimated that surcharging cost Brits £166 million in 2015.The ban means that it will be unlawful for retailers to charge additional fees when someone uses a particular credit or debit card, or other payment systems like PayPal, to make a purchase. This will ensure consumers can be confident that there won’t be any nasty surprises, and they won’t be penalised for wanting to pay in a particular way.The new rules will be enforced by Trading Standards who will have the power to take civil enforcement action against traders who breach the regulations. It will also entitle customers to receive a refund of any unlawful surcharge they have paid and enable them, if necessary, to take legal action to recover any such surcharge.

"Hidden"
The only place outside of London at the minute that has them is Sheffield
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 20th Feb
matthews947920/02/2020 20:10

I get that, but telling you that it will cost you 50p for using a card is …I get that, but telling you that it will cost you 50p for using a card is illegal.

I think shops are allowed to set a minimum card purchase value which is not illegal, but most certainly cannot charge for card usage.
mutley120/02/2020 20:11

i guess she didn't know it was illegal. i didn't at the time or i didn't …i guess she didn't know it was illegal. i didn't at the time or i didn't recollect that it is illegal.

Ignorance of the Law isn't an excuse, personally I would of refused to pay for the item, and advised them I would be informing their local trading standards, as well as plastering it over Social Media, then I would tell them they dont like Credit Card fees then incorporate the charge in the initial item price.. Its not like there isnt other shops selling the same items, for everything else there is Amazon.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 20th Feb
MrSprkle20/02/2020 23:21

Ignorance of the Law isn't an excuse, personally I would of refused to pay …Ignorance of the Law isn't an excuse, personally I would of refused to pay for the item, and advised them I would be informing their local trading standards, as well as plastering it over Social Media, then I would tell them they dont like Credit Card fees then incorporate the charge in the initial item price.. Its not like there isnt other shops selling the same items, for everything else there is Amazon.

actually i had no choice with the item as it was something for my dad and i had looked at several chemists and they didn't stock them, only this chemist did and he needed it urgently.

i personally don't have a problem with them charging a fee for credit card purchase as they have to pay a fee to the credit card provider themselves. the item was quite cheap as i had ordered a similar item on the internet and it was more expensive but it was very poor quality so for £2.60 i knew it was a good price, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to go down to the cash machine.

if they don't charge a credit card usage fee, they would put the prices up in the store so as a consumer i can't see how i would benefit.
mutley120/02/2020 23:29

actually i had no choice with the item as it was something for my dad and …actually i had no choice with the item as it was something for my dad and i had looked at several chemists and they didn't stock them, only this chemist did and he needed it urgently.i personally don't have a problem with them charging a fee for credit card purchase as they have to pay a fee to the credit card provider themselves. the item was quite cheap as i had ordered a similar item on the internet and it was more expensive but it was very poor quality so for £2.60 i knew it was a good price, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to go down to the cash machine.if they don't charge a credit card usage fee, they would put the prices up in the store so as a consumer i can't see how i would benefit.

Isn’t part of the reason they banned the fees to make it more transparent as to what you’re paying? For example you used to book a flight and at the end you’d get charged £25 for the privilege of handing your £250 flight payment over. They also limited the amount MasterCard / Visa can charge the shop at the same time. Which is why cash back cards dropped and perks slowly disappeared. Ultimately you pay for it one way or another! That said, when I used to run a small business, it was cheaper to receive payments on card than it was to pay cash into the bank! I believe the reason smaller shops have a minimum card spend is that they’re charged something like 2% minimum 50p, which on small items they might as well give it away. Larger shops (e.g. Currys) display a sign near the tills telling you if you pay on card the card provider gets 2% of the sale - the signs used to be there at least. I guess the bigger you are the more bargaining power you have.
anthonyjames9021/02/2020 00:19

Isn’t part of the reason they banned the fees to make it more transparent a …Isn’t part of the reason they banned the fees to make it more transparent as to what you’re paying? For example you used to book a flight and at the end you’d get charged £25 for the privilege of handing your £250 flight payment over. They also limited the amount MasterCard / Visa can charge the shop at the same time. Which is why cash back cards dropped and perks slowly disappeared. Ultimately you pay for it one way or another! That said, when I used to run a small business, it was cheaper to receive payments on card than it was to pay cash into the bank! I believe the reason smaller shops have a minimum card spend is that they’re charged something like 2% minimum 50p, which on small items they might as well give it away. Larger shops (e.g. Currys) display a sign near the tills telling you if you pay on card the card provider gets 2% of the sale - the signs used to be there at least. I guess the bigger you are the more bargaining power you have.

so if i pay 44p in a pub with a credit card, they have to pay the credit card provider 50p?
mutley121/02/2020 00:35

so if i pay 44p in a pub with a credit card, they have to pay the credit …so if i pay 44p in a pub with a credit card, they have to pay the credit card provider 50p?

44p in a pub in London?
maccy1i21/02/2020 00:40

44p in a pub in London?

no it was lot more but i used a gift voucher to pay, but it was 44p short. luckily hubby had the cash on him as i would have had to pay with the credit card if they accepted it.

i think the minimum credit amount often is £1, although i have paid at tesco for stuff less than £1 on a credit card! i didn't know they would have to pay the credit card provider 50p! if that is the case, i won't be doing that again as that is not fair to the retailer.
I for one welcome our new £20 overlords
mutley121/02/2020 00:44

no it was lot more but i used a gift voucher to pay, but it was 44p short. …no it was lot more but i used a gift voucher to pay, but it was 44p short. luckily hubby had the cash on him as i would have had to pay with the credit card if they accepted it. i think the minimum credit amount often is £1, although i have paid at tesco for stuff less than £1 on a credit card! i didn't know they would have to pay the credit card provider 50p! if that is the case, i won't be doing that again as that is not fair to the retailer.

“The amount you pay will depends on the number of transactions you’re processing, and on whether you are paying a percentage of the transaction or a flat fee. If it’s the former, you should expect to pay between two and five per cent, and if it’s the latter it could be up to 40 pence per transaction.”

I think a variety of factors are taken into account when they negotiate their deal. It’s the same reason setting up direct debits to charities to meet bank account requirements seems charitable until you realise they’re charged 1% + 20p or something. So that 50p turns into 29p and they then send you a letter to say thank you!
XSerenityX20/02/2020 18:02

I was going to get £20 out of the cash point today just to see if I got a …I was going to get £20 out of the cash point today just to see if I got a new one but didn’t bother lol. Would the cashpoints have been updated that quickly or not until next refill?

Well i tried 4 banks yesterday and nit a single one had any new notes and they said it would be a few weeks before they get any.
I think its luck of the draw when it comes to ATM machines
OllieSt20/02/2020 22:47

I think shops are allowed to set a minimum card purchase value which is …I think shops are allowed to set a minimum card purchase value which is not illegal, but most certainly cannot charge for card usage.

correct
MrSprkle20/02/2020 23:21

Ignorance of the Law isn't an excuse, personally I would of refused to pay …Ignorance of the Law isn't an excuse, personally I would of refused to pay for the item, and advised them I would be informing their local trading standards, as well as plastering it over Social Media, then I would tell them they dont like Credit Card fees then incorporate the charge in the initial item price.. Its not like there isnt other shops selling the same items, for everything else there is Amazon.

I had that once, then there quickly changed their story and said it's for minimum spend so I just told them the law and went out
Pricklerickle22/02/2020 10:13

I had that once, then there quickly changed their story and said it's for …I had that once, then there quickly changed their story and said it's for minimum spend so I just told them the law and went out

i personally don't see the problem with the retailer stating a minimum spend or the charge for using a credit card if they are upfront about it, then you always have the option to use cash.

it would only be a problem if they added on the charge without telling you or if it was an online purchase and you could not use a debit card without paying a fee so it means you have no choice but to pay the fee for an online purchase.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants