New £500 pc build - constructive criticism required

Found 25th JunEdited by:"chapsuk"
Hi, please see the below link as I am after opinions on a new pc build

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…QyX

Mtia
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Nice build, swap that monitor for a 24 inch LG which is about the same price last time I checked. Hope it goes well!
If you're going to be doing some light gaming then spend the extra £10-20 on a monitor with Freesync.

I wouldn't halve your memory bandwidth by only using one stick, especially on a expensive motherboard that offers four slots.

A modular power supply in a big non-windowed case like that is a waste of money so you can save ~£15 there.

I wouldn't bother with the fancy thermal paste, the one that comes on the cooler will do the job fine.

It's difficult to comment further without knowing use and preferences. I'd probably go for a cheaper MicroATX motherboard and smaller case (e.g. Coolcube Maxi) but maybe you've got a requirement for both.
Main requirement would be used in the living room, so the quieter the better, noting the budget spec, hense the choices the noise dampening corsair case.

Gaming would be a possible consideration down the line, but would dual channel be worth the extra expense that on that of the cheaper 8gb single stick ?

Removed thermal paste

Any recommendations on an alternative mobo?

Thanks
chapsuk55 m ago

Main requirement would be used in the living room, so the quieter the …Main requirement would be used in the living room, so the quieter the better, noting the budget spec, hense the choices the noise dampening corsair case.Gaming would be a possible consideration down the line, but would dual channel be worth the extra expense that on that of the cheaper 8gb single stick ?Removed thermal pasteAny recommendations on an alternative mobo?Thanks

Pay the extra for a AIO as they're a lot quieter than case coolers. I've got an EVO212 and they aren't silent by any means. Also borrow thermal paste off someone as they're dirt cheap.
You suggest you go for faster RAM.
RAM speed do make a difference on ryzen.

Motherboard: I agree you look for m-ATX, since you use it in living room, there is an possibly you may want a smaller case in future.
You may also opt for cheaper B350 instead?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…rd/

PSU: Go for be quiet! if noise is an issue.
kester7614 h, 19 m ago

Pay the extra for a AIO as they're a lot quieter than case coolers. I've …Pay the extra for a AIO as they're a lot quieter than case coolers. I've got an EVO212 and they aren't silent by any means. Also borrow thermal paste off someone as they're dirt cheap.

AIOs are louder than equivalent air coolers for most CPUs as they have the pump as well as the fans. It's only the really power hungry CPUs where they might be quieter.

If you can't get a 212 Evo silent on a CPU like the 2200G then either your motherboard's fan control isn't great or coolermaster are including a rubbish fan these days.

I think you've got an 8700K haven't you? That's got over twice the heat output of the 2200G.
chapsuk15 h, 15 m ago

Main requirement would be used in the living room, so the quieter the …Main requirement would be used in the living room, so the quieter the better, noting the budget spec, hense the choices the noise dampening corsair case.Gaming would be a possible consideration down the line, but would dual channel be worth the extra expense that on that of the cheaper 8gb single stick ?Removed thermal pasteAny recommendations on an alternative mobo?Thanks

You only need a noise damping case if you expect it to make noise in the first place. With no hard drive, no DVD drive, no graphics card and a ~55W CPU it's going to be quiet even in the open air. I'd expect it to be silent at living room distances with a better CPU cooler. That can always be added afterwards though, so it's worth trying the bundled one first.

You absolutely want to pay the extra couple of quid for 2x4GB over 1x8GB if you're even considering gaming. It'll make a noticeable improvement to integrated graphics performance. I'd also consider bumping it up to DDR4-2666 as I think that's the fastest the 2200G supports, although prices for the higher frequencies seem oddly high at the moment.

What functionality do you need from the motherboard? What slots, ports and outputs are you likely to use? Are there any other features you need (wake on keyboard etc.)?
EndlessWaves3 h, 23 m ago

AIOs are louder than equivalent air coolers for most CPUs as they have the …AIOs are louder than equivalent air coolers for most CPUs as they have the pump as well as the fans. It's only the really power hungry CPUs where they might be quieter. If you can't get a 212 Evo silent on a CPU like the 2200G then either your motherboard's fan control isn't great or coolermaster are including a rubbish fan these days. I think you've got an 8700K haven't you? That's got over twice the heat output of the 2200G.You only need a noise damping case if you expect it to make noise in the first place. With no hard drive, no DVD drive, no graphics card and a ~55W CPU it's going to be quiet even in the open air. I'd expect it to be silent at living room distances with a better CPU cooler. That can always be added afterwards though, so it's worth trying the bundled one first.You absolutely want to pay the extra couple of quid for 2x4GB over 1x8GB if you're even considering gaming. It'll make a noticeable improvement to integrated graphics performance. I'd also consider bumping it up to DDR4-2666 as I think that's the fastest the 2200G supports, although prices for the higher frequencies seem oddly high at the moment.What functionality do you need from the motherboard? What slots, ports and outputs are you likely to use? Are there any other features you need (wake on keyboard etc.)?

Why would anyone use an EVO on a 8700k ? The EVO is on my i7 3770s in the garage but it damn annoying loud. I run the 8700k with an Alphacool Icebear 360, I has some noise but amazing cooling for the 8700k which runs pretty cool for a 5.1GHz overclock. I've found AIOs to generally be quite unless you're running them at full speed. Quite a few of my cases run 200mm fans so the except for the GPU everything is very low rpm. I think the evo fan is just badly made and noisy.

Pretty much all the air coolers I've owned except for the be quite dark rock on my 939 setup have been noisy as they run at a higer RPM than the AIOs. I could understand if it was running hot but it's a 3770s and the system is cooled by a huge 200mm intake fan.
Edited by: "kester76" 26th Jun
That definitely sounds like your fan controller is being far too aggressive for some reason, or as you say it could be the fan bundled with that particular cooler. On a CPU like the 3770S a big tower cooler like that should be all but inaudible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants