New android update killed my phone. Anyone else?

Found 2nd Apr 2016
Last night I had a system update pop up. Updated phone and everything ok whilst it was still on charge. Pulled out the charger and the phone shut off and now won't power on at all. (Vodafone smart ultra 6).

Anyone else had this?

It's still in warranty but I know that vodafone are absolute idiots and try pass phones off as water damage like they did with my LG G3. Had to send it to LG who said no water damage at all.
Community Updates
AskiPhonePhonesAndroid
23 Comments
No, my handset has been fine since you upgraded.
Original Poster
Doh Lol
Pauladin91

Doh Lol

Sorry

Have you tried the Vodafone &/or various Android-centric Forums?
My SU6 is OK since update
Updated yesterday and my phone has been fine since then, surely Vodafone will fix this under warranty, unless you have unlocked it?
fanpages

No, my handset has been fine since you upgraded.

"New android update killed my phone. Anyone else?"

I have been fine since you upgraded... early days yet though!
I never update. Its not worth the hassle or the reduced performance afterwards. As far as i'm concerned updates only help to slow your phone down, put other rubbish apps on there that you don't/won't use and make you think that the newer phones are so much faster/better.
have you tried holding the power button and the volume down button together to see if the bootloader comes on?
if it does go into that and do a reset
mclovin9091

I never update. Its not worth the hassle or the reduced performance … I never update. Its not worth the hassle or the reduced performance afterwards. As far as i'm concerned updates only help to slow your phone down, put other rubbish apps on there that you don't/won't use and make you think that the newer phones are so much faster/better.

yup same, still using a HTC One M7 (2013 model) and it runs perfectly, quick, no lag, does everything I ask of it with minimal fuss!
riccom

yup same, still using a HTC One M7 (2013 model) and it runs perfectly, … yup same, still using a HTC One M7 (2013 model) and it runs perfectly, quick, no lag, does everything I ask of it with minimal fuss!

How do you get rid of the notification that keeps popping up for the update if you dont install it.
I updated my Smart Ultra 6 a few days ago - no problems here.
Original Poster
Just an update on it. Went into Vodafone shop and they were saying that it wouldn't be repaired as it has deep scratches at the top corners so it voids the warranty. Was thinking oh great. anyway if by some miracle, it suddenly powered on in the shop and was doing something with the android packages.

Praise be to baby jesus.
4.4.2 FTW!
No problems with mine. Glad you got yours working.
Pauladin91

Just an update on it. Went into Vodafone shop and they were saying that … Just an update on it. Went into Vodafone shop and they were saying that it wouldn't be repaired as it has deep scratches at the top corners so it voids the warranty. Was thinking oh great. anyway if by some miracle, it suddenly powered on in the shop and was doing something with the android packages.Praise be to baby jesus.

Have you checked the warranty documents? Is what they're saying actually true...?
Original Poster
Mermoo

Have you checked the warranty documents? Is what they're saying actually … Have you checked the warranty documents? Is what they're saying actually true...?

I've not no, seems abit of a con that they won't repair based on that doesn't it?
mclovin9091

I never update. Its not worth the hassle or the reduced performance … I never update. Its not worth the hassle or the reduced performance afterwards. As far as i'm concerned updates only help to slow your phone down, put other rubbish apps on there that you don't/won't use and make you think that the newer phones are so much faster/better.

+1
Pauladin91

I've not no, seems abit of a con that they won't repair based on that … I've not no, seems abit of a con that they won't repair based on that doesn't it?

yes it does! please let us know if you get to the bottom of this
if my car's wheel falls off, the warranty providers surely can't wash their hands of it if the right speaker can be a bit fuzzy at times
Sounds frustrating but if you have deep scratches and marks to show the device could have been dropped / mishandled then they can refuse I guess.
Some peeps on Reddit suggest ,Factory reset after a Update .
Phone, mobile, tablet, PC, Android, IOS, Windows, doesn't matter what it is, Do a Back Up before you Update or make changes to your software.
My Moto G2 runs even better on Marshmallow
deleted494932
DennisG

yes it does! please let us know if you get to the bottom of thisif my … yes it does! please let us know if you get to the bottom of thisif my car's wheel falls off, the warranty providers surely can't wash their hands of it if the right speaker can be a bit fuzzy at times

Deep scratches could well be indicative of impact damage....which could have damaged the internals. If I were the manufacturer, I would refuse to repair it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants