New Android work phone, need some help please

Posted 7th Sep
Hi all,

I hope you're well this morning.

My S8 is struggling a little bit with daily life, mostly battery issues, but some minor performance issues too.
It's a work and personal phone and the company I work for contribute towards the cost of the handset and then pay my contract too which is very handy.

These are my options:

- P30 - £162
- P30 Pro - £156
- Oppo Find X2 Neo - £270
- Samsung S20 5G - £472

What are your thoughts?

Priority of requirements:
Battery life especially when under all day use
Camera
5G

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
P30 Pro or the Oppo for me.....I have the P30 pro - camera is ace, battery life is good too, but no 5g unfortunately
How about a Moto G 5G Plus?
m5rcc07/09/2020 10:06

How about a Moto G 5G Plus?

It's not on the option list from work unfortunately
Well don't bin it. Have ago at swapping battery and factory reset and it will be a good phone again
oneplus 8 (not on ur list) but ticks all boxes, especially performance and 5g
But battery life isnt amazing
In my opinion, 5G is going to be not very useful for at least a couple of years more given the very slow rollout.

OP, within the list, P30 Pro is a great choice. I have been using it for over a year now and it is a bad day when the battery doesn't last 24 hours. Typically, I get 36-40 hours (to be fair, I am not glued to the phone).
If 5G is one of your priorities then it comes down to the Oppo and Samsung by default. Between the two it really is a case of whether the more premium package of the Samsung is worth more to you than the extra 200 quid in your pocket- you're getting a higher resolution and higher refresh rate display (albeit not at the same time, it can run at either 1080p 120Hz or 1440p 60Hz), more powerful processor, better camera system, and Samsung's DeX desktop mode. On the other hand the larger battery and less power hungry processor means the Oppo will have superior battery life, especially compared to the S20 running its display in high refresh mode- GSMArena's battery test yielded a 100hour rating for the Oppo compared to 78h for the S20 in 1440p/60Hz mode and 71h in 1080p/120Hz mode.
Edited by: "ElGofre" 7th Sep
ElGofre07/09/2020 11:59

If 5G is one of your priorities then it comes down to the Oppo and Samsung …If 5G is one of your priorities then it comes down to the Oppo and Samsung by default. Between the two it really is a case of whether the more premium package of the Samsung is worth more to you than the extra 200 quid in your pocket- you're getting a higher resolution and higher refresh rate display (albeit not at the same time, it can run at either 1080p 120Hz or 1440p 60Hz), more powerful processor, better camera system, and Samsung's DeX desktop mode. On the other hand the larger battery and less power hungry processor means the Oppo will have superior battery life, especially compared to the S20 running its display in high refresh mode- GSMArena's battery test yielded a 100hour rating for the Oppo compared to 78h for the S20 in 1440p/60Hz mode and 71h in 1080p/120Hz mode.

Thanks for the detailed response, right now I am thinking all roads lead to Samsung
I wonder if there any really good employers/companies out there who buy high spec mobile phones in bulk at a cheap price and supply their employees with them?
tardytortoise07/09/2020 12:39

I wonder if there any really good employers/companies out there who buy …I wonder if there any really good employers/companies out there who buy high spec mobile phones in bulk at a cheap price and supply their employees with them?

No one does this. They all negotiate with the service providers to supply the phones at a negotiated rate as part of the SIM contract.
Anybody have the Neo and can confirm if it has Multi User support enabled? I understood it was enabled in ColorOS 7 so it should do but would just like confirmation please?
I ended with with the S20 5G in the end. Received and all set up and so far so good. Thanks for your help everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text