New bathroom advice

Posted 30th May
Hello,

I would appreciate any guidance with regards to fitting a new bathroom in a new house. The current one is quite dated and best to sort out before moving in. Shower will be going in rather than bath, basin, toilet etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for retailers or brands to go for?

We might get a fitter locally who will only charge labour if we supply the parts. I don't know anyone else so are these builder sites who list recommended builders / fitters.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
First, it may be cheaper to get a fitter to supply the fittings. Ours gets 50% off one of the major retailers and charges what it costs him.
Second, don’t fit a shower only unless you have another bath in the house. You may put off any future potential buyers if you don’t have a bath somewhere in the house.
Also consider bath/shower panels instead of tiles. Less likely to leak and easy to clean. I would not use tiles in a shower area again now.
I have bought showers and enclosures off Amazon in the past. It’s just a case of finding what you like and going with that.
Hi, we got our walk in shower tray and screen from Appliances direct. www.appliancesdirect.co.uk. Good range/sizes. Tiles and shower we bought from a local tile merchant. Sink and vanity unit from eBay and tap from Amazon. I would go with a local fitter, try and get 2/3 quotes and references if possible. Hope it all goes ok.
paul123edwards30/05/2020 19:55

First, it may be cheaper to get a fitter to supply the fittings. Ours gets …First, it may be cheaper to get a fitter to supply the fittings. Ours gets 50% off one of the major retailers and charges what it costs him.Second, don’t fit a shower only unless you have another bath in the house. You may put off any future potential buyers if you don’t have a bath somewhere in the house.Also consider bath/shower panels instead of tiles. Less likely to leak and easy to clean. I would not use tiles in a shower area again now.I have bought showers and enclosures off Amazon in the past. It’s just a case of finding what you like and going with that.

Thanks. I don't expect we'll move from the house for a long time. This would be the only bathroom in the house so it seems a bath is your suggestion. I'll shop around. It is a bungalow so I'm not sure if leak is an issue as a first floor bathroom shower would be. We were looking at tiling but can you link to shower panels if it isn't too much trouble. I don't know many local fitters so I'd have to use these builder recommended sites to get a quote I guess.
anpamhfi30/05/2020 20:02

Hi, we got our walk in shower tray and screen from Appliances direct. …Hi, we got our walk in shower tray and screen from Appliances direct. www.appliancesdirect.co.uk. Good range/sizes. Tiles and shower we bought from a local tile merchant. Sink and vanity unit from eBay and tap from Amazon. I would go with a local fitter, try and get 2/3 quotes and references if possible. Hope it all goes ok.

Thanks for tips. I'll check the sites to get an idea what is offered.
Leaks are always an issue no matter what floor it is on. Our shower panels came from International Decorative Surfaces who seem to have warehouses all over. Cost is slightly more than tiles but fitting is much cheaper. Our builder also got a small discount from them.
Edited by: "paul123edwards" 30th May
moh22330/05/2020 20:02

Thanks. I don't expect we'll move from the house for a long time. This …Thanks. I don't expect we'll move from the house for a long time. This would be the only bathroom in the house so it seems a bath is your suggestion. I'll shop around. It is a bungalow so I'm not sure if leak is an issue as a first floor bathroom shower would be. We were looking at tiling but can you link to shower panels if it isn't too much trouble. I don't know many local fitters so I'd have to use these builder recommended sites to get a quote I guess.

I think bigger tiles are cheaper to fit and because of the larger surface area there is less grout = less risk of leaking! We’re looking at 60x30cm tiles as a minimum for our next bathroom & currently have similar sized ones at the moment, they look amazing if you tile the whole room!
I agree with the above comment to get wet wall panels and not tiles in a shower/bath area. Tiles are higher maintenance.
I would also look at getting vinyl click for the flooring as it's water resistant and warmer than tiles. It comes in all different patterns/colours like laminate and gets put down similar to laminate.
I would preferably just paint the bathroom with an eggshell which is water resistant and wipeable instead of panelling/tiling the whole room.
It means in future if you get bored of the design/colour you can change it with a lick of paint instead of being stuck or having to spend a lot to change it.
If you don't have a fan make sure you install one.
I got all my bathroom stuff from wholesaledomestic and victorianplumbing and got a plumber to fit it all.
Brand wise don't go for the cheapest but don't go for the most expensive either. There tends to be *really* cheap but then a few that are the same price/different brands with only a few £ between them.
It is true a plumber may get you *trade* price but with the amount of codes online I doubt it would make much difference.
shelliebish30/05/2020 20:14

I think bigger tiles are cheaper to fit and because of the larger surface …I think bigger tiles are cheaper to fit and because of the larger surface area there is less grout = less risk of leaking! We’re looking at 60x30cm tiles as a minimum for our next bathroom & currently have similar sized ones at the moment, they look amazing if you tile the whole room!

That's what a relative mentioned about tiling the wall and floor. We are looking at a local place for tiles but as @paul123edwards then I'll look at the shower panels and whether my missus will want that then I'm not sure. Thanks.
paul123edwards30/05/2020 20:12

Leaks are always an issue no matter what floor it is on. Our shower panels …Leaks are always an issue no matter what floor it is on. Our shower panels came from International Decorative Surfaces who seem to have warehouses all over. Cost is slightly more than tiles but fitting is much cheaper. Our builder also got a small discount from them.

Will check it out. Thanks for the tips.
Once you have found the tiles you like, try and find them from online suppliers. The tiles we liked were £50 sqm from local merchant, we got the same tiles for less than half price from online supplier. We ordered from tileweb.

For showers/enclosures I was told by a few that Kudos do good quality products.
For baths, Carron was the brand I was being recommended (but we decided to just get a shower and not bother with bath).

My advice would be to find the product you like and buy online from a supplier with good reviews and competitively priced.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 30th May
A fitter will have particular brands and items that they trust the reliability of and are used to with working with having used them many times. You can source the various parts yourself but ultimately the fitter will have hands-on knowledge and experience of what is what. Best thing you can do is try and find a fitter that is recommended by a friend so you can maybe have a look at the bathroom they put in.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 30th May
Cloeeez30/05/2020 20:17

I agree with the above comment to get wet wall panels and not tiles in a …I agree with the above comment to get wet wall panels and not tiles in a shower/bath area. Tiles are higher maintenance. I would also look at getting vinyl click for the flooring as it's water resistant and warmer than tiles. It comes in all different patterns/colours like laminate and gets put down similar to laminate.I would preferably just paint the bathroom with an eggshell which is water resistant and wipeable instead of panelling/tiling the whole room.It means in future if you get bored of the design/colour you can change it with a lick of paint instead of being stuck or having to spend a lot to change it.If you don't have a fan make sure you install one. I got all my bathroom stuff from wholesaledomestic and victorianplumbing and got a plumber to fit it all.Brand wise don't go for the cheapest but don't go for the most expensive either. There tends to be *really* cheap but then a few that are the same price/different brands with only a few £ between them.It is true a plumber may get you *trade* price but with the amount of codes online I doubt it would make much difference.

Great stuff. Thanks. I checked victorian plumbing and they have some good stuff. With regards to the shower wall panels then does it matter which material to go for? Edit: I've been told to look at Triton, Mira or Bristan for the shower mixer thing and good taps to avoid any issues later.
Edited by: "moh223" 30th May
ran123ran30/05/2020 20:22

Once you have found the tiles you like, try and find them from online …Once you have found the tiles you like, try and find them from online suppliers. The tiles we liked were £50 sqm from local merchant, we got the same tiles for less than half price from online supplier. We ordered from tileweb.For showers/enclosures I was told by a few that Kudos do good quality products.For baths, Carron was the brand I was being recommended (but we decided to just get a shower and not bother with bath).My advice would be to find the product you like and buy online from a supplier with good reviews and competitively priced.

That's a useful tip. Thanks. I guess if the price is a big difference then the hassle of some broken tiles isn't too bad.
Haircut_10030/05/2020 20:23

A fitter will have particular brands and items that they trust the …A fitter will have particular brands and items that they trust the reliability of and are used to with having used them many times. You can source the various parts yourself but ultimately the fitter will have hands-on knowledge and experience of what is what. Best thing you can do is try and find a fitter that is recommended by a friend so you can maybe have a look at the bathroom they put in.

That's true. I'm happy I asked as I don't have much knowledge about this stuff. Thanks.
moh22330/05/2020 20:23

Great stuff. Thanks. I checked victorian plumbing and they have some good …Great stuff. Thanks. I checked victorian plumbing and they have some good stuff. With regards to the shower wall panels then does it matter which material to go for? Edit: I've been told to look at Triton, Mira or Bristan for the shower mixer thing and good taps to avoid any issues later.

I got mine from wetwallworks.
I just got the PVC wall panels as they had more designs and with chrome edging.
I recommend buying a squeegee and squeeging it (and the tray) everyday after a shower as this keeps the moisture down and will help keep the silicone good so it doesn't mould quickly. I installed my shower last year and the silicone is still sparkly white.
I chose white panels with silver lines through them (but the lines look black in certain light) - so if I decide to change paint colour in future any colour will go with it.
40925065.jpgI have a Bristan shower too! But do not make my mistake and get the one with the touch buttons, they are a pain in the bum if they get wet...
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 30th May
Brands:

Shower - Mira (excel), I prefer the surface mounted showers as fitting a concealed shower within a wall is just asking for trouble when the eventual leak happens.

Enclosure - Roman - a good quality brand, not the cheapest but worth it

Tray - Just Trays

Also - Flooring - I would go with one piece of vinyl and install all the bathroom fittings (toilet pan, basin pedestal) on top of the vinyl
moh22330/05/2020 20:25

That's a useful tip. Thanks. I guess if the price is a big difference then …That's a useful tip. Thanks. I guess if the price is a big difference then the hassle of some broken tiles isn't too bad.

We live in Scotland and delivery was from England. We did have 8 broken tiles in total.
3 we notified the supplier about and were refunded. Days later we found another 5 but they were still able to use these after cutting the broken area edge off....it was too late to advise supplier as i think they only gave a day or so to report breakages.
Cloeeez30/05/2020 20:29

I got mine from wetwallworks.I just got the PVC wall panels as they had …I got mine from wetwallworks.I just got the PVC wall panels as they had more designs and with chrome edging. I recommend buying a squeegee and squeeging it (and the tray) everyday after a shower as this keeps the moisture down and will help keep the silicone good so it doesn't mould quickly. I installed my shower last year and the silicone is still sparkly white. I chose white panels with black lines through them so if I decide to change paint colour in future any colour will go with it.[Image] I have a Bristan shower too! But do not make my mistake and get the one with the touch buttons, they are a pain in the bum if they get wet...

Thanks for idea. Looks good.
Van197330/05/2020 20:30

Brands: Shower - Mira (excel), I prefer the surface mounted showers as …Brands: Shower - Mira (excel), I prefer the surface mounted showers as fitting a concealed shower within a wall is just asking for trouble when the eventual leak happens.Enclosure - Roman - a good quality brand, not the cheapest but worth itTray - Just TraysAlso - Flooring - I would go with one piece of vinyl and install all the bathroom fittings (toilet pan, basin pedestal) on top of the vinyl

Thanks for the tip about the enclosure. With regards to flooring then I'll put past the missus but it seems like keen for tiles instead of vinyl. How would vinyl look like? Edit: just checked victorian plumbing and it looks okay.
Edited by: "moh223" 30th May
Van197330/05/2020 20:30

Brands: Shower - Mira (excel), I prefer the surface mounted showers as …Brands: Shower - Mira (excel), I prefer the surface mounted showers as fitting a concealed shower within a wall is just asking for trouble when the eventual leak happens.Enclosure - Roman - a good quality brand, not the cheapest but worth itTray - Just TraysAlso - Flooring - I would go with one piece of vinyl and install all the bathroom fittings (toilet pan, basin pedestal) on top of the vinyl

We have some kind of one-piece solid vinyl flooring in our bathroom... we have no skirting boards as the vinyl curves upwards around the edges of the room to meet the tiles, it’s amazing stuff!
Edited by: "shelliebish" 31st May
moh22330/05/2020 20:02

Thanks. I don't expect we'll move from the house for a long time. This …Thanks. I don't expect we'll move from the house for a long time. This would be the only bathroom in the house so it seems a bath is your suggestion. I'll shop around. It is a bungalow so I'm not sure if leak is an issue as a first floor bathroom shower would be. We were looking at tiling but can you link to shower panels if it isn't too much trouble. I don't know many local fitters so I'd have to use these builder recommended sites to get a quote I guess.

If you have a bungalow, consider what type of person may be buying your home when you come to sell - there is a fair chance that it will be retired people, who will not want to move again but will be considering whether the building will be suitable if their health / mobility declines

For the shower area, consider getting a "wet room" type floor instead of the usual shower cubicle with a shower tray.
- it means that you do not have to step into / out of the shower tray.

-> these look great, are easier to clean than a shower tray
-> It will cost a bit more to purchase / install but is an investment for the future.
I agree with the above comments, plus aim to get a heated tower rail fixed to the wall intead of floor- it's much neater, plus you gets ones with a pulley system to turn the heat on even if the heating isn't on in the whole house which is superb.

If it's for elderly remember to fix in hand rails to the sides for something to grip onto.

Best of luck with it
Helpful56730/05/2020 21:21

If you have a bungalow, consider what type of person may be buying your …If you have a bungalow, consider what type of person may be buying your home when you come to sell - there is a fair chance that it will be retired people, who will not want to move again but will be considering whether the building will be suitable if their health / mobility declinesFor the shower area, consider getting a "wet room" type floor instead of the usual shower cubicle with a shower tray.- it means that you do not have to step into / out of the shower tray.-> these look great, are easier to clean than a shower tray-> It will cost a bit more to purchase / install but is an investment for the future.

That's sound advice but arguing that point is pointless at times. I've seen this but need to go in and see if it is doable. Shower
shelliebish30/05/2020 20:54

We have some kind of one-piece solid vinyl flooring in our bathroom... we …We have some kind of one-piece solid vinyl flooring in our bathroom... we have no skirting boards as the vinyl curves upwards around the edges of the room to meet the tiles, it’s amazing stuff![Image]

Sorry, to hijack the thread l, I hate skirting boards, any chance you can find out what the flooring is called
Thanks
Edited by: "sidhoooooo" 30th May
sidhoooooo30/05/2020 21:28

Sorry, to hijack the thread l, I hate skirting boards, any chance you can …Sorry, to hijack the thread l, I hate skirting boards, any chance you can find out what the flooring is calledThanks

I’ll ask my builder... he’s amazing! He did our whole bathroom refit (including adding a new shower so we have separate bath + quadrant shower) in less than 7 days while we were in Spain! It was a surprise treat from my hubby

This is my bathroom...
40926011-zczxX.jpg
Edited by: "shelliebish" 31st May
The bathroom designer on b and q is not bad to get an idea of yr layout. You can even design on yr mobile phone. Also tray shower should be bigger if possible to step back from the rain shower if fitting one of those, a smaller tray means you cannot step out of the water without switching off.
Post a comment
@
    Text